Author Topic: Update on Vet markup charges for medication  (Read 695 times)

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
Update on Vet markup charges for medication
« on: October 23, 2011, 02:34:27 PM »
Hi there I posted about 6 weeks ago after discovering the markup my vet was charging for Vetmedin for my lads heart.  I took him up last week for his booster and had the discussion re price of meds with our vet.  They did offer me a 5% discount on his meds which worked out about £3 off a £72 bill, so not worth the effort.  I am to collect a prescription on Monday cost £9, with the cost of the prescription and what I will be saving buying from the Pedmeds UK for every 2 bottles I buy from them the third will be free based on what I would be charged if still buying from our vet.  That means the money in his piggy bank I have put bye for this purpose will last longer.  Thanks to all who gave me advice when I first asked and yes I did get a repeat prescription which repeats twice.   
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: Update on Vet markup charges for medication
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 04:07:32 PM »
Well done you  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: I'm sure some vets think we pet owners are made of money NOT >:(

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 04:44:24 PM »
Glad you got something sorted  :D
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline maddycakes

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 05:22:20 PM »
Tell me about it!

When i had my last cocker who unfortunately had epilepsy she was put on human anti epileptic medication called gabapetin the first box of 100 caps cost me £65 from my vets she was on 3 per day so just over a months worth of meds, at that time I was a dispenser in a pharmarcy and could buy the meds from the suppliers for £6.50 per box of 100   >:D  From then on I got a prescription from my vets for 600caps and at that time vets didn't charge for writing a prescriprion.  Got a receipt from from the pharmacy and insurance paid out every time no quibble. 

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 03:53:59 PM »
I know just how you feel.  My vet was charging the insurance company £1.51 per 5mg tablet of Vetmedin.  I picked the wrong insurance company who would only pay for this illness for 1 year, so 1 year on I now pay for Charlie's heart meds.  When I paid for his first prescription of 6 weeks worth of vetmedin I was stunned to be charged £72.48 for 48 tablets.  Hurra OH collected the prescription to day cost £9 for 3 bottles of vetmedin 150 tabs or 3 bottles at 50 tabs per bottle.  I chose to pay for all 3 bottles at the one go and got an even better deal they charged me 0.94.6 pence per tablet.  My  vet would have charged me £226.50 for that lot, I am getting them for £142. So even with the £9 cost of the prescription it was well worth it.
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 05:55:20 PM »
William has dry eye and needs Optimmune ointment in his eyes every day. A tube costs £40+ from the vet but the opthalmic vet writes a repeat prescription for me that costs me £9 and lasts 6 months. I then buy Optimmune online at about £25 per tube, saving me around £70 every 6 months.

But I'd a cautionary note about buying online. Make sure you're buying from a reputable site where you're sure the medication is genuine and the company reliable.

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 10:13:28 PM »
Nearly 2yrs ago my vet was charging £66 a tube of Optimmune. Their mark up on Keli's Vinblastine chemotherapy was around 1000%.

Well done for you for challenging and also agree with Elaine.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 04:23:41 PM »
I am buying from vetmeds.co.uk which is where I usually buy my Frontline from.  I could have gotten it cheaper but decided to go with them as they are good at shipping quickly and also used paypal to pay as I usually do, supply should be here this week.
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 04:26:05 PM »
I am buying from vetmeds.co.uk which is where I usually buy my Frontline from.  I could have gotten it cheaper but decided to go with them as they are good at shipping quickly and also used paypal to pay as I usually do, supply should be here this week.

I buy William's Optimmune from vetmeds.co.uk :D