Author Topic: where has my nice little puppy gone! HELP  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Frankie1236

where has my nice little puppy gone! HELP
« on: December 06, 2011, 09:29:44 AM »
ok, Scout, I am beginning to fall out with this little doggy! she is 9 weeks old now, and has grown considerably since we got her, anyhow the problem! she listens to my OH, but when i'm there, or on our own, she gets very hyper, and bites me VERY hard, she has started to do the growling 'not playing' growl and bark, and i'm worried, slightly upset and its frustrated :( I've tried ignoring her, (she continues to bite) i've tried putting her outside the room for 5 or so mins tocalm down, she continues to bite as soon as she's let in, and i've been very consistant with that, I've tried to bond with her by training her, shes learnt sit, lie down and stay, i still get bitten! I've tried the 'loudish' 'OW' DOES NOT WORK if anything stirs her on to bite me even more, my hands are like chew toys, and she's drawn blood a few times now,
what do I do??

kat

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: where has my nice little puppy gone! HELP
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:46:29 AM »
Oo don't fall out with an ickle pup ;)
She is ONLY 9weeks old and is
a "normal"cockerdile pup  :luv:
There are loads of threads about
biting in "puppies" section, have a
quick read!
Distraction onto a toy at this stage
is always good!
steffxxx
ps when you give time-out can she
still see you from behind a babygate
or are you putting her out and shutting
door?

Offline Frankie1236

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 09:48:43 AM »
shutting the door, completly no view over us,

Offline AnnieLou

• My Beautiful worker girl
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »
I went through this and wondered what we had done. No-one wanted to go in the room with her and she seemed to single me out to bite. Perservere, we put toys in her mouth, i even growled at her, then timed her out when it got too much.
Now she is the most affectionate pup  :luv:

It will get better.

Offline Frankie1236

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 10:06:27 AM »
oh yes, I growled back haha, shes currently sat next to me after her time out in the kitchen, chewing on my hoodie, I keep replacing it with the toys, perserverance I think, Shes lovely when she's asleep haha, and the OH tells her off and she listens its really annoying tbh, especially when I'm trying to train her and she does it almost instantly with him! im gonna try and be more calm when shes done something bad, and keep up with the time outs and replacing my hand with her toys, I'll be glad when I can walk her and get her tired out! haha taking her to puppy classes too, see if she can learn some manners lol x

Offline AnnieLou

• My Beautiful worker girl
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »
Stay with it, we also limit where Polly is allowed, i.e only kitchen and lounge of an evening with the adults. I have young children adn followed the advise of Hurtwood Dogs, fab advise and lots that Karma has written too.
Although at the time I read it through sceptical eyes, it really does work!!!

Offline Frankie1236

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 10:55:31 AM »
With the angry growling should I remove her from the room everytime she does it? she's just done it and ive put her for a time out in the kitchen,
x

Offline Juno

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 11:04:05 AM »
With the angry growling should I remove her from the room everytime she does it? she's just done it and ive put her for a time out in the kitchen,
x

How do you know it's 'angry' growling?  When is she growling?  She's probably just over excited.  Do you have something she can have a good chew on?

Timeouts should literally be for a matter of seconds.  The idea is to interrupt rather than to punish.

Offline Frankie1236

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 11:10:37 AM »
no tail wagging,between her legs,  and showing her teeth while growling, she was chewing on the couch, and I tried to interupt her with a toy, and I got the angry growl, so picked her up, still growling, and put her in the kitchen for a minute to calm down, shes back in now chewing on her toy x

Offline Juno

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 11:25:55 AM »
I'm no expert - Juno's my first pup - but if you do remove Scout from a room, I wouldn't pick her up to do it.  House lines are pretty useful for this as you can gently lead away.  If interrupting with a toy doesn't work (how are you interrupting the chewing?  wiggling the toy on the floor?  throwing it for her to chase/fetch?), how about showing her you have a treat and asking for a sit/down in order to earn it. 

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 12:36:20 PM »
no tail wagging,between her legs,  and showing her teeth while growling, she was chewing on the couch, and I tried to interupt her with a toy, and I got the angry growl, so picked her up, still growling, and put her in the kitchen for a minute to calm down, shes back in now chewing on her toy x

This is still almost definitely a play growl at nine weeks, when shes had her jabs and starts playing with other dogs, they can look and sound like they are killing eachother and its all just part of how they play  :blink:

Offline Frankie1236

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 01:25:53 PM »
haha good, it scares me lol

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 04:17:31 PM »
x

How do you know it's 'angry' growling?  When is she growling?  She's probably just over excited.  Do you have something she can have a good chew on?

Timeouts should literally be for a matter of seconds.  The idea is to interrupt rather than to punish.

Precisely this...

Also, by growling at her, you are joining in and so encouraging it...

Also agree about not physically picking her up to remove her... this could lead to her resenting your approaches.

Sorry for short post, but as others have said it is normal, and a vital developmental stage... by telling her off your OH could well be causing more problems in the long run...  :-\
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Anita D

• Dog Walker Cheltenham & Tewkesbury
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »
At 9 weeks old she still needs a lot of sleep. I would make sure she has a cosy crate or puppy pen to go to every half hour or so (obviously toileted first). They can get very easily over stimulated.

It does get better!
Dog Walker in Cheltenham & Tewkesbury.  Owned by Paddy & Fergus

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 08:41:28 AM »
Gosh we didnt even have Toby at 9 weeks so what a young one!