Author Topic: Olly wont let me put his ear drops in!!!  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Ollydug

Olly wont let me put his ear drops in!!!
« on: December 07, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
Hello!

Olly has been to the vets and has an ear infection so I have drops to put in them!  The only problems is he wont let me put them in!  Every time I go to touch his ears he knows what is coming and growls at me!!!!  I have to put them in twice a day and just don't know how to get near him!  I have tried using treats and yummy things but he still knows that im needing to get stuff in to his ears!  certainly cannot be fooled!

Any help would be great, I know he is obviously uncomfortable but it has to be done!

Thanks

Louise

Offline Neon

• Donator
Re: Olly wont let me put his ear drops in!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 11:11:55 AM »
Well, what I would do is try and get him to lie on one side - tickle his tummy, give treats and make a big fuss.  While he's "relaxed" apply the drops and massage the ear.  Then repeat for the other side.  I would also warm the drops first by putting the bottle in my pocket for 10/15 minutes first so they aren't really cold.  It is hard work trying to administer things they don't want to take, but as I say try and get him nice and relaxed first.  Good luck.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 12:54:18 PM »
With Alfie i put him on a grooming table/work bench (or you can use an ironing board) & adminster the drops very quickly, massage his ear lobe & use cotton wool to wipe away any gunk/wax from his outer ear.  It is a good idea to warm the drops. It also def. helps by being off the floor.  Alfie doesn't like it either but you just have to have this kind of no nonsense/positive attitude & praise them afterwards, along with a tasty treat.  :P   Perhaps get someone to help you too by distracting him.  :D

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 01:15:59 PM »
It is so much easier with two people.  One administering and one with a treat keeping attention.

I had to get ear drops twice daily into both of mine.  They both had nasty ear infections which took ages to clear. 

All I really want to say  (I don't want to frighten you) is you really need to get on top of ear infections. Katies ear infection ended up having 3 GA's to flush with antibiotics and insert ear wads to try and help the drops deep into the ear canal.  Was a complete nightmarish time for us. Willows was much easier to clear.  Luckily we were insured, but the bill between the two of them was nearer 3k than 2k, but, think that was down to them being insured and maybe the vets saw the opportunity  :huh:

Speedy recovery Olly !

Willow and Katie

Offline seaangler

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 01:30:54 PM »

I have said in past post and would go on to say for all people with young pups is to start off like we did and play with your puppy's ears and put your finger in side there pads(this is to touch there fur that grows between there pads dogs are sensitive to there paws being touch)

As to there ears like i have said i can even fold over all my dogs ears and even pull hairs out(if any are growing in words)...By doing this we can clean out any muck that gathers in side and also putting any drops when the time comes...

The worst is as every one knows is Kanker and by touching a dogs ears at an early age will make life easier later on in the dogs life(If) the dog ever gets it....can be very sore for then..

I would as the dog is older try the treat way bit by bit....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 09:36:15 PM »
We had similar problems, so taught Ben a 'flat' command so he lies on his side.
You can teach it quite quickly with a clicker and once he is ok with doing it, then touch his ears while he is lying flat, and reward, then get him used to having your hand on his ear, then put the drops in!

at first it took two of us so that Ben focused on the person with the clicker who gave the flat command and rewarded, and the other one did the drops, it is all over so quickly they hardly notice  :005:

good luck

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 10:18:59 PM »
I got mine used to doing it by doing it in stages rather than going in to do it in one go - at each stage I gave mine a treat. You start by touching their ear 1st, then treat and just build up from there.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!