Author Topic: Albert was a naughty boy on Christmas day!  (Read 680 times)

Offline ali2010

Albert was a naughty boy on Christmas day!
« on: December 26, 2011, 10:46:41 AM »
We went to my mums for christmas dinner, only  6 of us ther and of course Albert. He stays at my mum and dads whilst i am at work 2 days a week,so he's  used to being there.

He was very on edge yesterday and just kept racing round the house crying at first, but calmed down after a walk, ripping  up a few christmas cards and a bit of dinner! Its our family tradition on christmas day to play my late grandmother's bingo game, so we all sat at the table to play. Albert then got very distressed by us playing and barked so much at us he ended up foaming at the mouth. He wouldn't let us near him. In the end I took him a walk, on the walk he was really pulling and barking, he did calm down though towards the end of the walk. We then had to go home early,, at home he went straight to bed and slept til this morning.

Have noticed that over the last week or so that he's very unsettled in the evenings, keeps pacing around the living room crying.

Has anyone any ideas or advice?

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Albert was a naughty boy on Christmas day!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:58:16 AM »

Christmas can be very difficult for dogs... they don't understand why we are suddenly running around like headless chickens, doing things we never normally do, opening all these parcels etc.
They are creatures who thrive on normality (not necessarily routine, but predictability)... and there is nothing normal about humans at Christmas.

I'd just have a few days of calm normality with no stress or pressure, and maybe consider using DAP next year...

If the unsettled behaviour doesn't settle over a few calm days, pop him to the vets to make sure he isn't unwell, though.
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline ali2010

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 09:07:08 PM »
Thanks for your reply Karma, that would make sense - Albert likes predictability

He's been fine today, been a nice big walk then asleep all afternoon on the settee. Been the family party on our own, Alberts stayed at home, just come back early to him

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
Toby also abit unnerved about noise and lots of people in house. His nose has been "going" more than usual so we underestimate what different smells there are too.

Sounds like your young man will be one of those who say "phew will be glad to get back to normal"!!