Author Topic: Growling and humping  (Read 426 times)

Offline tritonx

Growling and humping
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »
I'm curious about the set of behaviours I saw in Fraser today at the off leash park. He was playing happily with a 1 yr. spayed female, racing about and after a while showed a lot of interest in her rear end and then would do occasions of humping her. He's now 2 1/2 yrs old and even in his adolescence, wasn't big on humping legs and cushions etc. though even nowadays likes to hump his towel after being dried. I haven't seen him trying to hump a real dog. Then some more small dogs came onto the field and he began to race around with one of them (I think male), but this time he was rough and growling a lot, much, much rougher play than before. He doesn't normally growl when playing with other dogs, though I've heard him do it if the other dogs growls. Do you think he just got over stimulated with a lot going on, from the female dog he was initially humping to the entrance of more dogs onto the scene? The growl sounds pretty aggressive and worries me, especially as he was being so rough with the new dog on the scene who was holding its own, but the play seemed a bit on the edge of being more than play.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Growling and humping
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 11:03:38 AM »

How were the other dogs reacting?
I tend to find this a better indication of whether play behaviour has crossed the line than any description of the OTT dog - many dogs will hump and growl in play yet all dogs involved know it is play and have no problem with it.

The other possibility is that the bitch was coming into, or actually in, season...  :-\  that could easily explain the change in behaviour...
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline tritonx

Re: Growling and humping
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 05:44:19 PM »
He was mainly playing with the one dog that I think was male. That dog was racing around with Fraser, but Fraser was bowling him over with greater size and strength, being really rough with him. He isn't usually that rough when playing. I was worried about it, but the owner said his dog could hold his own. The female he was playing with and humping earlier was a spayed female, but it was only four months ago. Fraser's not a dominant dog usually, but he was acting very top dog in the play. Was it just a matter of getting his macho up with the female? Reminded him he was a guy before the snip?