Author Topic: Alfie  (Read 698 times)

Offline penfold

Alfie
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:57:46 AM »
I lost my beloved Alfie Springer on Sunday at age 7...I know he is not a cocker but a lot of COL's met him on the Hermitage meet up last autumn  :016:

He has suffered seizures for a number of years.  The vets were at a loss as to what caused them although they were convinced it wasn't epilepsy.  We tried various medications but none of them stopped the fits and they all left him zonked out so, along with the vets, we decided that we would manage his condition as best we could without drugs.  At least this let him lead a 'normal' spaniel life, albeit with occasional fits.  We were warned that chances were however that, on day, he would have a fit which would lead to his passing, either via heart attack, stasis or brain damage.  It was a risk we decided to take.  Better that than a life as a zombie.  

All went well over the intervening years.  He would still have occasional fits but, on the whole, we managed.  However, on Sunday morning he went into a fit.  Nothing unusual, it passed as normal as can be expected however, 15minutes after coming out of it he went back into another, and another and another until it reached the point where he was in constant seizure.    I had already phoned the vet earlier and I was to take him down to the practice for him to be sedated.  Phoned him again, advised he was now constantly fitting and he confirmed my worst fear that this was 'the end' and that he would come out directly to the house.  Waiting with Alfie that final 1/2 hour was the worst 1/2 hour of my life.  By that point he had been fitting for over 2hrs and it had taken SO much out of him - I was just praying for the vet to arrive quickly.  It was truly awful to watch.    OH was out with the children (a mixed blessing I suppose) so I was by myself...waiting and saying goodbye.  

Now the house just feels so empty - he was such a big personality - 'uncle Alfie' to both the children and the cockers.  Little Coco is bereft and spends her time walking around the house crying (...a bit like me...) looking for her springer 'cushion'.   A lovely big soft lump of a dog.  RIP my heffalump.