Author Topic: Diarrhoea  (Read 630 times)

Offline mumknowsbest

Diarrhoea
« on: September 01, 2012, 07:47:59 AM »
Hello,

Yesterday afternoon our Maddie nearly 8 months managed to grab a tub of chocolate brownies and demolish the lot in seconds!! only now since last night she has had really mad Diarrhoea - Im assuming its because of all the brownies but wondered should I still feed her today and if so should she have her normal food or something else till it settles?

She went on a proper hyper last night and couldnt calm her down for hours!!

Thanks

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
Re: Diarrhoea
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 08:10:25 AM »
To be honest, I'd give your vet a ring. Chocolate has a chemical in it which is poisonous to dogs. I don't know what the symptoms are to look out for.

I'm sure she'll be fine but better safe than sorry.

Naughty pup! ;)
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 10:00:19 AM »
To be honest, I'd give your vet a ring. Chocolate has a chemical in it which is poisonous to dogs. I don't know what the symptoms are to look out for.

I'm sure she'll be fine but better safe than sorry.

Naughty pup! ;)

I totaly agree with Ruby Tuesday  ;)

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Chocolate is very bad for dogs. I've been through this with Jess after she ate half a bar of Green and Black's which is dark chocolate so it's the worst kind. She got through it, but became very sensitised to chocolate and so just licking a bowl that had contained chocolate ice cream as it went into the dishwasher set her off again even worse than before. I'd say take her to the vet if the diarrhoea goes on much longer as she may be getting dehydrated.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 11:31:24 AM »
Are you able to calculate how much chocolate or cocoa powder was in the tub of brownies? That's important because the darker the chocolate the less is needed to poison a dog. Cocoa powder is even worse. I had to phone the vet after I dropped some cocoa powder on the floor and William managed to get one good lick at it before I pushed him out of the way. Luckily I knew how much the cocoa powder weighed because I'd just weighed it to make a cake. I scraped the rest off the floor and re-weighed so I was able to tell the vet how much William had ingested. Fortunately it was an extremely small amount and not enough to poison him.

This article http://www.vetrica.com/care/dog/chocolate.shtml explains about chocolate poisoning and near the foot of it has the amounts that can be toxic according to the type of chocolate and weight of the dog.

Please phone your vet urgently if you think Maddie has eaten a dangerous amount. Chocolate takes a long time to work through a dog's digestive system so even if she seems back to normal by now please be very careful.

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 08:04:24 AM »
How is she now? :)
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:10:39 PM »
Hi

Hope Maddie's feeling better today :'(