Author Topic: New puppy at home  (Read 871 times)

Offline kaz60

New puppy at home
« on: November 22, 2014, 07:55:36 PM »
Collected Arthur today, he ate his dinner no problem and his tea but oh my goodness can he wee! I keep taking him out, he wees no problem, bring him back in and hey presto weeing again. Do pups wee this much? We are going to put him in his crate tonight in the kitchen and hope he settles. I will get up to him in the night and let him out, any ideas to help him settle?

Thanks very much
Karen

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: New puppy at home
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »
probably nervous wees. all strange to the little lad. first night is always a wait and see what happens. he might settle straight away, he might have you a quivering wreck by daybreak. he might whimper, he might be a barker or perish the thought a WHOO WHO er  :005:
put him in the crate with a biscuit (will become a everynight treat) say " good night, mummy loves you" and see what happens  ph34r  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline kaz60

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 08:18:06 PM »
Thank you for that, how often should I get up to him?

Karen

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 08:32:15 PM »
 long time since had a pup. some one with more recent memories will be along shortly.
wishing you all a good night
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 08:40:20 PM »
Yes, puppies wee, poop and sleep a lot - and not necessarily when you would like them to  :-\ :005:  His bladder is probably the size of an acorn, so it is not surprising really.  :005:

It is his first night so it will take a while to get him used to a routine and to settle.  I would get up every 2 or 3 hours probably to begin with, but you will find what suits you and him.  Don't go in to him when he is crying - wait for a quiet bit.  No fuss, no playing, just take him out, get him to do a wee, "good boy", and back to bed.  It will take time for you both to adapt to the new routine and each other, but just relax, it will all come together; not tomorrow, not next week, maybe not next month, but eventually  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline JackieT

• Ziggy - working cocker
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 09:27:52 PM »
Congratulations! Glad Arthur is settling in well. First night we did something like 12 am to bed, then 3.30 then up at 7. We are night owls, which helps.

The day Ziggy came home he didn't wee at all for ages, we got a bit worried. Think it was nerves!!

That was 8 weeks ago tomorrow. It has gone so, so fast.

Offline kaz60

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 09:38:35 PM »
Thank you again. He is asleep at the moment in his crate, he had a play, numerous wees then flaked out, I will take him out again shortly and hope that he settles. I have a feeling it could be a long night!
Will update tomorrow. Sleep well everyone!

Karen

Offline kaz60

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 08:33:22 PM »
A bad night! Arthur screeched , howled, yapped when we left him in the crate in the kitchen, this went on for about 25 minutes and I gave in and went downstairs to settle him which he did eventually, I got up at 1.30 to let him out, unsettled again, 3 o'clock same thing and again at 5 I think I had about an hours sleep! Any ideas for tonight? Also if we walk out of the kitchen and he is left alone he again goes frantic which he did whilst we were eating our dinner and Arthur was in the kitchen, he got so upset he pooed! I don't want this to become a problem, any ideas?

Thank you
Karen

Offline JackieT

• Ziggy - working cocker
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 09:35:43 PM »
Hello. I've sent you a message. Hope he's settling more today. Ziggy whines/cries every time I leave the room too. He does stop though and he's never got to the point of pooing because he's upset by it. Hopefully Arthur's still settling in and one he feels secure it will improve. I think the key may be to reassure him but not completely give in to it, if that makes sense. So we leave him in kitchen while we eat, but there is a stairgate so he can see us. And I pop in and out, so he knows we go and come back. He gets most upset if he's shut out of living room, because that's a solid door. When he knows we are there but can't see us, he goes crazy. So we don't do that except for a minute or two to time him out if he's being to crazy in the evening.

The first day or so were definitely tough, but he got used to us, settled and it got easier VERY QUICKLY.

Hope you have a better night tonight. x