Author Topic: Horrible Decisions  (Read 7159 times)

Offline AmCocker1973

Horrible Decisions
« on: June 12, 2018, 11:32:20 AM »
Hiya!
I am new to this forum so i should be introducing myself in another thread but i am in such a dilemma.
My boy of 15 has terrible osteo rthritis in all 4 legs.
He's still really sound of mind and continues to eat at every opportunity........however........he is absolutely struggling to walk unaided now. He cannot stand up of his own accord so i have to lift his hips. when he is standing he uses the walls and furniture to hobble around.
He is on meds 3 x tramadol, 6 x gabapentine, vitamins, turmeric tabs and anti inflammatories.

The vet said well he is still eating and is still interested so he may not be ready yet but he cant walk well at all and cant stand.

I really dont know what to do for the best. I suppose the vet doesnt see him crying in pain when the meds are wearing off. hes meant to have them every 8 hours but they seem to wear off after about 6 and he cries.
I can see he gets very stressed with it all and i am really unsure about what to do.

I cnat bear to see my little boy like this ...in pain and unable to walk properly and falling down every two minutes......

Any comments would be appreciated....i know its a personal decision but its so so difficult.

I will introduce myself properly on the other thread!
Love to you all

Offline Issy

• Donator
Re: Horrible Decisions
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 12:28:15 PM »
First off  :bigarmhug: to you both.
It’s horrible when we are facing such tough decisions about our best friends. Only you know when it is right to say goodbye to him and as you say your vet doesn’t see him when the pain relief wears off or have to watch him stagger around or hold him up.
When you feel the time is right go with your decision and know you have done the best you can for him.  :luv: and more  :bigarmhug: to you.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 02:01:43 PM »
What a difficult time for you, personally I would go with how you feel, and consider (as you have) the quality of life that your boy has.

You are right the vet does not see him at his worst as you do, maybe you could take your boy to the vet when he has not had tablets, or when their effect has worn off and the vet can then see how he is suffering and give more informed advice.

My heart goes out to you, go with your gut.  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:22:45 PM »
Sending some hugs to you.  I know you mentioned Turmeric tablets but have you tried Golden Paste?  It is much more effective and they have to take it every 6 hours.  CBD Elexir is another natural oil that can be added too.

If you are on facebook there is a group called Turmeric User Group UK and another called Natural Healthcare for all animals - CHC (these sell the CBD elixir)

xxx

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 04:00:41 PM »
This sadly is something we all face and the question is knowing when the time is right, yes I have asked the vet in the past and got the same kind of answer.  It truly is a dreadful time and my heart aches for you.

I don't think anyone can tell you what to do, it just seems to slot into place and you seem to know.  Seeing your boy cry in pain is so heartbreaking.

Is he still clean inside the house, for me my last dog became so distressed  with messing and wetting in the house and seeing him poorly yet so distressed over that this was awful.

I would spend  loving quality time your brave boy and take each day as it comes and I am sure you will have clarity soon. 

Sending  :bigarmhug:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 06:28:35 PM »
So sorry you‘re faced with this awful decision, its something we all dread although many of us have gone through it before and it never gets any easier.
My first dog was pretty much in the same situation as you describe and I put the decision off for as long as possible but then his back legs collapsed while he was eating his dinner and he couldn‘t get up and that was for me the turning point. No one can make the decision for you unfortunately, I think its often a tough call for the vets to be honest and looking back I think if I‘d felt mine had persuaded me to take the decision before I was ready it would have made the mourning process a lot harder.

I wish I could offer advice or some words to help you but I don‘t think there is much to say other than follow your heart, you know your boy better than anyone and the decision you make will be the best for him, just trust yourself and you‘ll do the right thing.   Sending  :bigarmhug: and thinking of you.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 07:15:27 PM »
Hello, and sorry that you are facing this choice, it is very difficult. The only thing I have to say is trust yourself and your instincts. No one knows your dog better than you, have faith in your own judgement. I wish there was a way to make it easier  :bigarmhug:

Offline AmCocker1973

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 08:27:27 AM »
Thank you to every one for your replies, its nice to have the views of everyone on this forum as I know you know exactly where I am coming from.
Well we are going to take him in to go to sleep tomorrow or Friday. I am waiting for the vet to call me tomorrow as she is off today.
I know in my heart of hearts its absolutely the right thing to do for him now and he wont lose anymore of his dignity.
Thank you for all your support. :-* :-* :-*

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 09:00:10 AM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 09:05:44 AM »
Thank you to every one for your replies, its nice to have the views of everyone on this forum as I know you know exactly where I am coming from.
Well we are going to take him in to go to sleep tomorrow or Friday. I am waiting for the vet to call me tomorrow as she is off today.
I know in my heart of hearts its absolutely the right thing to do for him now and he wont lose anymore of his dignity.
Thank you for all your support. :-* :-* :-*

:luv: it was precisely the loss of dignity which was the decisive factor for me too. You‘re doing the right thing, go easy on yourself and all the best, will be thinking of you.  :bigarmhug:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 11:46:34 AM »
Karen

It is such a difficult time, be kind to yourself and be brave for your boy, he knows more than anything how lucky he is to have you and how much he is loved.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 05:51:42 PM »
No words, just  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline daydreams

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 07:06:20 PM »
having been where you are now, with my lovely girl, I know how hard it is to make that decision, but what you are doing is out of love for your little one
take care of yourself :luv:

Online MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 08:53:12 PM »
Hi and hello. wish you had found us and joined the family on better terms.
 Its a hard decision every time but the time comes when we as guardians of these lovely creatures know the time is right. Your heart has made the decision so what you do now is for the greater good. Your boy has been loved and treasured for 15 years.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline AmCocker1973

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 09:41:05 AM »
Thanks again everyone.
He goes to Heaven later today.
He's currently sleeping in our boot room on his own. I dont know whether to leave him there or bring him into the lounge. He had such a bad night last night, he was very uncomfortable. I have put his blanket over him and maybe its best to leave him be and so he can have some peace.
I am having to work this morning so its such a strain trying to be brave knowing what is going to happen later on.....
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(