Author Topic: Senior Dry Food  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Sara_Clara

Senior Dry Food
« on: February 08, 2019, 01:40:59 PM »
Pebbles is fed Barking Heads dry food - the salmon variant, and is absolutely wonderful on it so no complaints.  She has allergies to both rice, soya and wheat so it was a struggle after her allergy testing to find a good quality food.  However, she is now 7 and I notice that a lot of the senior variants of dry food say from either age 7 or 8.  I have looked and Barking Heads only do one senior food and it has rice in so no good for her.  My question is do I find another food for her within the next year or so or keep her on the one she is doing so well on?

Really not sure what the difference is senior versus adult food is?

Thanks.
Puppy Colour: Orange Roan
Puppy DOB: 22.04.2011
Puppy Name: Pebbles
Mummy Name:  Sara

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Senior Dry Food
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 03:25:37 PM »
I think they add little extra for joint care such as salmon oil maybe, I mentioned what I fed my dog to the vet as to whether to change him to senior (he is 11) and she said that as his weight was fine and mobility ok to leave him as he was - and her general attidude was he looked well on what he was on so why change.  Senior foods seem to add glucosamine too and supplements for immume system etc..
The only thing I do is add Salmon Oil which I got from Wilko, I don't give as much as it says on the bottle, but he loves fishie food so it does go down(if I put a full dessert spoon on he leaves it)....his is a fussy eater at times and a hoover at others.  He has a mix of dry and wet and occasionally I give him a senior wet food as well as the other chicken, salmon and fish variety of the wet food brand I use.
Personally I would do what you are doing and next time Pebbles is at the vet mention it to them.
Not sure whether I would class a 7- 8 year old as senior - I thought 9 to 10, but see what other say to that :lol2:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 04:06:40 PM »
I used to feed the age-related varieties, but don’t anymore. I think some of them have less fat content. My 14 year old is on Millie’s Wolfheart Riverside mix. He looks great and has great energy levels for an oap. I just add yumega oil (have done for years) and yumove. The Millie’s foods don’t have any grains and all 3 of my dogs are doing really well on them.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Darwin

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 05:36:40 PM »
Darwin is on Barking Heads ( the normal chicken one ).  He’s nearly 10. I had a long chat with our vet approx 3 years ago and it’s a case of don’t try and fix something that isn’t broken.

Offline Sara_Clara

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 03:47:18 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I thought as much.  Will keep her as she is because she is doing really well on it.  I do add a teaspoon of cod liver oil anyway.  Will mention to the vet next time I'm in. :D
Puppy Colour: Orange Roan
Puppy DOB: 22.04.2011
Puppy Name: Pebbles
Mummy Name:  Sara

Offline Dimples

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 09:02:18 AM »
Hello All

Interesting as I am wondering what to do. Robbie is now 8. Very active but has put a little weight on. But it doesn’t stop him being able to run 4 miles off road with me. He is super energetic when out. Indeed him on James well beloved adult. Did wonder about changing to senior but don’t know enough about the difference to do it. Plus don’t want to change if I don’t need too.

Interested though about the oils you are adding. Is that worth doing at 8? If so then I think I should introduce that. If it would help his joints !

Thanks guys
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 04:01:14 PM »
Hello All

Interesting as I am wondering what to do. Robbie is now 8. Very active but has put a little weight on. But it doesn’t stop him being able to run 4 miles off road with me. He is super energetic when out. Indeed him on James well beloved adult. Did wonder about changing to senior but don’t know enough about the difference to do it. Plus don’t want to change if I don’t need too.

Interested though about the oils you are adding. Is that worth doing at 8? If so then I think I should introduce that. If it would help his joints !

Thanks guys

I start giving my dogs yumove from about 5 as they all work and/or do agility. I figure it can’t do any harm as as long as I can afford it, I’ll keep adding it. As yours runs, I’d def be thinking of a supplement just to help keep him fit and flexible.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie