Author Topic: Food Amount Question  (Read 7348 times)

Offline mg500

Food Amount Question
« on: March 27, 2019, 08:54:20 AM »
About 2 months ago I changed Alfie's food to Skinners Field & Trial Junior of which for his weight (12kg) Skinners recommend 150g of food.  As he always seemed to be hungry and quite skinny I gradually upped this to 180-200g.  On this amount he isn't scrounging so much but still seems to be skin and bone (protruding hip bones and ribs).  He is healthy and very active and I have kept to the 5 mins per month of exercise for most of his life.  So should I increase it again or possibly change to a different brand/type of food?

Also he seems to be pooing a lot probably about 5 on a 50 minute walk. They start off solid and progressively get runnier, he doesn't stop running for the whole walk so is it just a case of his stomach being "churned" up or is this abnormal.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated as I want the best for my "little rascal".

Mark

Offline Barry H

Re: Food Amount Question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 09:37:28 AM »
Hi Mark,

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along in a bit, so take all this with a pinch of salt but thought you may find it helpful...

Foods vary and it's trial and error I'm afraid but you'll end up being an expert on dog poo :lol2:  Each dog is unique and feeding amounts will vary, but 200g for a 12kg dog seems a lot to me as does 5 poos per hour!  Jack is 4 yo and 18kg which is on the high side for a Cocker, but he's always been a biggish boy.  He's fit and healthy and not overweight.  He gets 150g of Eden per day and usually does one well formed poo per day, occasionally another one in the evening.  I used to give him 180g (recommended for his weight) but found he put some weight on, so have cut it back a bit for the time being (and cut out the biscuits!).  Eden recommend 130g for a 12kg dog.

I'm  tempted to suggest a change of food, just to see if it makes a difference.  You don't have to buy a 12kg sack.  I've tried Jack on Millie's Wolfheart, Acana and currently Eden.  He's done really well on all of them, but I'm happy to stick with Eden at the mo'.

Edit: Have a look here for more info: https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 10:46:40 AM »
Hi,
I think that is a lot of pooping even when out charging around!   They can do looser poos when they are charging about like, well, a cocker! That wouldn't be my main worry, but the fact he is doing so much would indicate there is a lot of waste.  Personally I would be looking for a change of food.  Daisy is RAW fed and it works great for her.  A lot of companies will do sample sizes, either FOC or for a small charge, and that can be worthwhile.  The link posted in the above reply is really useful.  There are some very good quality food out there, and some not so good, it is a bit of a minefield, so good luck and ask as many questions as you need on here, most of us have already been down this route  :D

Offline Darwin

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 03:18:13 PM »
Hi Mark

I think most cockers are food driven and always appear to be hungry.

I have one of the skinniest cockers, He’s just less than 10kg and we only feed him 125g per day. (Barking Heads)   He’s maintained the same weight for the past 3 years.  We are slightly unfeeeding as he’s has health/mobility issues.

Excessive pooing, that becomes soft and runny is a classic result of over feeding.  So initially I would suggest reducing the amount your feeding and see if that has a positive effect.  If need be give  him some carrot as a snack.  Also it might be worth considering a change in food, but one step at a time

Offline mg500

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 08:04:01 PM »
Thank you Barry H, ejp & Darwin

Some really useful advice, I think i will cut back to 160g as I still have a bit left and if no improvement I will look at buying a quality brand such as Millies, Acana, Eden.  The link to the allaboutdogfood looks interesting and hopefully I will learn a lot more about dog food....and there was me thinking all dog food was the same   :lol2:

TY

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 08:33:01 AM »
I feed my dog 1 and a half regular size mugs of kibble a day. One mug in the morning and half a mug at 5pm. I could see his ribs too until he was around two years old he has slowly filled out I can't see his ribs anymore. He was 12kg when he was one years old 13.7kg when he was two now he's 14.6kg he's still slim can't see his ribs but not underweight. Vet said ideal weight is between 12 and 16kg. Depending on his age if he's still young it might just take a bit of time to put weight on.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 07:27:39 PM »
Thank you Barry H, ejp & Darwin

Some really useful advice, I think i will cut back to 160g as I still have a bit left and if no improvement I will look at buying a quality brand such as Millies, Acana, Eden.  The link to the allaboutdogfood looks interesting and hopefully I will learn a lot more about dog food....and there was me thinking all dog food was the same   :lol2:

TY

Make sure you introduce a new brand of food gradually whilst you have some left unless you are changing completely to raw.

Offline mg500

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 07:55:23 PM »
Well as update I took Alfie to the vet yesterday for a 12 month check up just to make sure everything was ok in the skinny rib and hip bone and excessive pooing department.  He hasn't put on weight in the last few months but the vet said how healthy he looked and when she measured his heartbeat she commented "Wow what a super fit dog".  So I am not overly concerned now.  :D

As a little treat for being a good boy at the vets I took him for an hour run up some steep Dartmoor hills and when we got home I ordered him some Millies Wolfheart samples (as recommended by the MW nutritionist), Gamekeeper, Ranger and Farmer so we will see how we get on with them before ordering in bulk.  I was contemplating going over to raw but kind of bottled it, so a better quality dry food it is for the time being.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 09:13:04 PM »
A glowing report from the vet, well done!  Glad you are more content with how things are and you can enjoy him without worrying excessively!  If you find a food that suits you both, that is the most important thing.  Took me a while to start RAW feeding, I order ready prepped frozen food, and it is a doddle.  But, you need to decide for yourself, and you can ask questions on here as there are a number who feed RAW.

Offline mg500

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 10:11:11 PM »
Thank you Gazrob, Patp & ejp

ejp - I still want to eventually go raw but I need to convince my partner of the benefits.  Can I change during any stage of his life or is it best to get him on it early.  Any particular frozen brands you would recommend?

Also I have noticed Millies don't include chicken in their recipes however raw food brands seem to use a lot of chicken....slightly confused!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 12:20:10 AM »
Raw is the least processed food you can get, is how I see it. Daisy has Honey's real food for dogs. It suits her, I find the quality very good and their customer service is excellent. They have a variety of meats. Beef doesn't suit Daisy so we avoid that. She usually has the lamb, turkey, pork and the chicken mixes, just for a bit of variety. The next order will have a few pouches of the venison to try. Madam is just a tiny bit spoiled  :005: I find that her skin is better and she is just generally well on it. So it works for us.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 08:30:12 AM »
I tried my dog on raw and unfortunately it's not for him he kept getting the runs. I feed him a grain free salmon based dry dog food. Anything with pork, beef, chicken don't agree with him. Once or twice a week at the most I will mix in a tin of sardines in with his food. He loves it and they only cost me around 50 pence a tin. He has slowly filled out but he's not overweight. You could try doing that but don't feed sardines daily as I say I do it once a week as a treat.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 08:47:03 AM »
Once or twice a week at the most I will mix in a tin of sardines in with his food. He loves it and they only cost me around 50 pence a tin. He has slowly filled out but he's not overweight. You could try doing that but don't feed sardines daily as I say I do it once a week as a treat.

Started doing this when Jack was a pup.  4 big fat Glenryck pilchards in tommy sauce twice a week mixed in to change things up a bit.  50p a tin from Sainsbury's.  He breathes them in.  Even have them myself.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 10:43:29 AM »
Lol. I haven't tried him on pilchards but that's a good idea I'll pick up a few tins next time I'm in sainsburys. I buy the sardines in spring water from sainsburys he loves them but I'm not a fan at all I hate the smell. I also feed him the odd carrot, a little cabbage or tiny bit of apple or watermelon as a treat now and again.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 12:48:23 PM »
Daisy has the sardines in water too.  Sometimes the ones in tomato sauce, if I can't get the ones in water.  The ones in water are definitely the best option.