Author Topic: Food Amount Question  (Read 7332 times)

Offline Gazrob

Re: Food Amount Question
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 02:58:42 PM »
Yeah I tend to avoid the ones in tomato sauce. I've heard that tomatoes/tomato sauce is not good for dogs but I'm not 100% sure on that. I've looked into feeding him a raw fish only diet but again I've heard that you should not feed dogs too much fish only in moderation. He loves chicken, beef, pork, duck but he can't digest it properly. I've had a look on honeys raw food site and they don't seem to have a fish option.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 05:36:58 PM »
No, they don't do fish.  They do have venison, rabbit and turkey (if memory serves) which are a good option for a sensitive tum.  If you are interested in giving it a try I would recommend dropping them an email and asking to speak to someone regarding your cherub and they will keep you right. 

Offline mg500

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 07:24:18 PM »
Alfie loves fish so I will get some sardines and pilchards to mix with his dry food.

TY

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 07:29:51 PM »
Alfie loves fish so I will get some sardines and pilchards to mix with his dry food.

TY

Watch out for the fishy kisses, he will love you for giving him sardines!  :005: :020:

Offline mg500

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 08:05:06 PM »

Watch out for the fishy kisses, he will love you for giving him sardines!  :005: :020:

Can't wait  :D :luv:

Offline mg500

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 07:53:58 PM »
After feeding Alfie on MW Gamekeepers and the weekly tin of sardines I decided to take him back to the vets to get him weighed hoping that he had gained weight since his last visit over a month ago.

After reluctantly jumping on the scales to my disappointment rather than gaining he has lost another kilo so that now puts him at 10 kg at 13 months old.  He still looks very healthy and a total live wire but his ribs are even more visible especially after having him clipped recently.

The vets suggested upping his food (he's currently on 200g) and trying three meals a day or even bulking it up with some pasta.  Unsure of what to do I took him for a nice walk and as usual he was on full speed non stop for the whole hour.  When I got home I decided to call MW to see what they advised and on speaking to a very helpful lady she suggested a 50/50 mix however, as I had been previously advised the 60/40 and still had quite a bit left she recommended adding boiled potato to his Gamekeepers to use it up and then switching.  Has anyone else used potato as I am unsure but trusting the advice from Millies.

So he is now on 210g spread over three meals and extra potato for tea.....I don't think he's complaining  :D

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 09:51:30 PM »
Sorry to jump in but my Ollie is 11years old and 11kilo - always been small and also has a sensitive tummy, you mentioned potato and I thought I would just say that I cannot give Ollie food that has potato in it as it makes him very loose, I go for a protein and rice combination. 

It is worth trying a bit of potato as they are all different but just keep an eye in case.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 02:20:53 PM »
Mg500 I wouldn't Worry about it too much at this stage. Give it another 12 months or so. If he's getting a lot of exercise that will keep the weight off him too. It's better that he's on the slim side than overweight. Give him a tin of sardines once a week. I promise you he will get heavier probably without you noticing straight away. My dog is 13.6 kg at three years old he is taller than a lot of cockers I've seen so I imagine your dog might be at a good weight. If the vet says not to worry then don't.

Offline mg500

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 08:45:28 PM »
Gazrob,

I did worry a bit as people did/do comment how "ribby" he is but I don't anymore.  He's loving his weekly ration of sardines and I might be wrong but he does look like he has gained a small amount of weight.

Thanks

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2019, 02:03:29 PM »
Has your dog been checked for internal parasites? worms etc, also it is possible that he is not absorbing his food properly

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2019, 06:40:58 PM »
All good advice!
If you really need to add a bit of weight, and the poo is normal at first, in colour and texture, I was told it was better to afdd sweet potato, more calories and nutrition than spuds, and more digestible. If you can’t face sardines, mix  a half a teaspoon of salmon oil or coconut oil .
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline mg500

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2019, 07:27:20 PM »
Well after feeding extra potato and having three meals a day for the last 3 weeks Alfie has put on 0.5 kilo so we are heading in the right direction.  Watching him run around this evening on the moors he has really good muscle definition on his legs and shoulders and looking so fit and healthy.  I'm contemplating whether to change from MW Gamekeeper to a higher fat/calorie food or stick with it and add extra potato/sweet potato or try some salmon oil?

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2019, 08:48:04 AM »
Mg500 I forgot to mention I also use salmon oil. I put three or four squirts onto his morning meal. I'm not sure if it's made any difference to his weight but his coat Is looking great. He will put on weight but it will be so slowly you may not notice. As long as you are feeding him and hes active really don't worry. He's still young and not fully developed. I've seen some cockers in my neighbourhood that are only two or three years old that are overweight and they have all sorts of health problems because of it. They are getting fed too much and not getting enough exercise.

Offline mg500

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2019, 08:09:15 AM »
Gazrob,

He's getting quality food (Millies, sardines, carrots and the occasional marrow bone) and lots of exercise so I'm not that worried anymore, and as you said he will put on weight and I probably wont even notice.

Talking of overweight dogs, only yesterday we saw 2 cockers that were like little barrels, made Alfie look like a skeleton..... :D

Thanks to all those that have replied.