Author Topic: What tests are essential for Sire & Dam when buying a pup?  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Blondeduke

What tests are essential for Sire & Dam when buying a pup?
« on: February 23, 2019, 04:12:41 PM »
Ok I look at adverts and some say only one is tested and the pup will be clear so good for me( endorsements would be lifted if a pup was tested in advert) . However when I look at the lineage I see a carrier, hence the need to test a pup if it was used for breeding. So why not just test both parents surely? Is this a flaw in endorsements?
So
My big question is why are both parents could or should surely be tested? Why is this not compulsory?

Anyway I did see a pup but one was not tested so it put me off hugely. I would prefer both be tested. Yes or no?
Or have I got wrong end of stick?

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: What tests are essential for Sire & Dam when buying a pup?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 06:42:35 PM »
I know someone who knows a lot more than me will come along shortly to help but......

From my understanding you need 2 carriers of the faulty gene for the pups to be affected, if the sire or dam are a carrier then the pups could then also be carriers and so would need careful breeding to ensure no pups are produced from two carriers.

Are you looking to breed from your pup ?

Offline Blondeduke

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 08:57:17 PM »
Hi
Thank you. When I bought my last pup endorsements did not exist but both my dogs parents were tested & clear for one off private litter ,so my dog was hereditary clear.. I find it odd that only one is tested? That was why I checked the lineage/ health & it flagged carrier. Surely to reduce the risk? both parents should be tested routinely. An endorsement does not stop dog breeding?  Ideally  KC or non KC? It's probably the endorsement that highlighted this as I had not come across this before. I have not bought a dog  for 13 years.
The reason I am asking is I thought I had found a nice KC pup was about to go and view( it was endorsed) I looked up the lineage dam & sire , to find one was a carrier. The carrier gene stopped me from buying. I just am thinking they should all be tested anyway? I am looking for another dog but would expect both parents to be tested? & hereditary clear. Yes ?
Sadly some people from the numerous adverts I am seeing for non KC "show cockers "will never be tested at all. Just getting my head around it! Thanks v much
Will wait to see any other replies.

Offline Blondeduke

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 08:03:07 AM »
Found  the answers I need called Breeding for health on KC website. To be sure for myself I will look for dog where both are tested. It does talk about recessive genes etc & likelihood of being passed on, if known in 1st place! Looking at pedigree a carrier exists but testing not done. Realisation last dog all tests were done sire dam. Brill breeder.