Author Topic: Which colour???  (Read 6982 times)

Offline sundune

• Site Member
  • Peta
Which colour???
« on: December 07, 2006, 09:26:59 PM »
Hiya,
iknow i am being very premature about this but it is nice to see what is around isn't it.
As many of you know i have a very gorgeous blue roan girl and i have been pondering as to what if all goes well, colour boy i should put her too. Along with correcting any faults she may have of course.I fancied a orange and white but i am concerned i will get poor roans....so called ticked roans.
Any suggestions?
Take care see you in February with my little happy nutter of a cocker.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Re: Which colour???
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 09:59:09 PM »
As many of you know i have a very gorgeous blue roan girl and i have been pondering as to what if all goes well, colour boy i should put her too. Along with correcting any faults she may have of course.I fancied a orange and white but i am concerned i will get poor roans....so called ticked roans.
Any suggestions?

Do you mean you are looking to buy another cocker or breeding from your bitch?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 10:34:54 PM »
There's no such thing as a poor roan or a ticked roan so not sure really what you mean :-\ There's roan, then there's "and white ticked" and "and white" - all are different patterns and all are equally correct. What your bitch would produce to an orange and white dog would depend entirely on what colour genes she carries. If she doesn't carry any other recessive colour nor the gene for "and white" or "and ticked"), then all her puppies will be blue roan no matter what particolour you put her to.
Jane

Offline sundune

• Site Member
  • Peta
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 01:37:19 PM »
Hiya,
it was just somthing i thought.
I really don't want to breed ticked dogs and noooooooooo i don't want to buy a boy, i am just interested in peoples views as to what colour would be best.
I would lurrrve to get a black and white or orange and white, well just healthy happy babies really.
I have 3 generations of colours in her pedigree ready.......
BR=Blue Roan OR= Orange Roan and so on
BR
BR---------------------BR
BR-----------BR-------------BR----------OR
BR---O/W-----BR---BR-------OR---BR----O/W---BR
BR-BR--BR-?--?-BR--BR-BR--O/W-B/W--BR-BRT--BRT-O/W--O/W-BR

yOU GET THE IDEA

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 02:13:43 PM »
What's wrong with ticked dogs Sundune?? Sorry but still don't understand what you mean - even dogs registered as black & white or orange & white often have some ticking on their legs etc. You will only get black & white or orange & white from your bitch if she carries the orange gene and the "and white" gene - just because there are these colours further back in her pedigree is no guarantee she carries the genes herself.
Jane

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
    • Bryning Border Collies and Working Cockers
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 04:20:04 PM »
As far as I understand it....particolour (roan or open marked) is recessive to solid but roan is dominant to open marks so you will never breed an open marked black/white from a roan bitch no matter what you mate her to.
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x
www.bryningbordercollies.com

"The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 04:56:22 PM »
Not true Bryning - if the blue roan bitch carries the recessive gene for broken markings (ie and white), she can indeed produce black & white as long as she is mated to a dog which also carries the same gene. We have bred several black & whites from blue roan parents. However, two black & whites mated together can never produce roans.
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 05:25:21 PM »
My Liver Roan bitch carries the "& White" gene and put to a Black & White dog produced 2 Blue Roans and 4 Black & Whites  ;)

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 05:40:18 PM »
Ok, need to go think about this :D particolour is a new gene to me so I'm just starting to understand how it works...
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x

"The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 05:53:28 PM »
Yep, engaged fingers before brain ;)

A blue roan bitch carrying open marks can of course produce black/white since her genotype will be ttRr so mated to anything else carrying the recessive t and r genes could produce a pup ttrr

open marks is recessive as you say and two parents of this genotype could not produce anything but, that's why cavaliers and springers breed true for open marked particolour

Fascinating stuff

Thanks for setting me straight :D
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x

Offline sundune

• Site Member
  • Peta
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 07:13:38 PM »
What's wrong with ticked dogs Sundune?? Sorry but still don't understand what you mean - even dogs registered as black & white or orange & white often have some ticking on their legs etc. You will only get black & white or orange & white from your bitch if she carries the orange gene and the "and white" gene - just because there are these colours further back in her pedigree is no guarantee she carries the genes herself.

When i mean ticked its hard to explain in writting and i am trying i promise, when it's very heavily ticked, looking like a black and white but with all pads black and the white not true.....am i getting the picture across????
So howdo i know if she carries the "and white" gene, is it just going to be chance on her first litter or is somehere a clever person and could very simply explain what i would need to put her too to get which colours???
Thank you all for your patience i know it's annoying when someone just doesn't "get it" but i am trying .

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 07:18:18 PM »
Peta, have you asked Daisey's breeder for help? If she is experienced, she may be able to recommend a sire, or help you find the right one  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 07:47:28 PM »
I agree speak to your breeder  ;) also make sure she hasn't put any restrictions on breeding from her. Also she is only what 5 months....so you've got about 2 years to plan this. You could Optigen test her now  ;) unless of course both her parents are A1's.
I am not sure what you mean by ticking either  >:( Buttons my Liver is a roan and has a fair amount of "roaning" on her legs but because of her colour I suppose you could say it looks more tick than roan? is that what you mean? Gracie is registered as a pure B&W but she is actually a B&W Ticked but the ticking didn't come through until much later.

Offline sundune

• Site Member
  • Peta
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 07:54:47 PM »
Hiya,
i said previously i know it is very premature but i was just wanting to pick peoples brains.....
I am not optigen testing her yet untill the test is 100% accurate and i know it is not!
She is going to the Opthalmagist (sp?) as soon has he visits my local area.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 08:15:20 PM »

I am not optigen testing her yet untill the test is 100% accurate and i know it is not!

So you will be limited to finding a *clear* sire, then?  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club