Author Topic: What advise would you give new puppy owners ?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
What advise would you give new puppy owners ?
« on: October 16, 2018, 07:04:50 PM »
As Fireworks season approaches ( or is already here ) I'm greatfull for some advise I had when Bea was a Pup,

If you hear a FireWork ignore it, as your Pup will look at you to see if they need need to react i.e. Mum clearly isn't bothered so i don't need to be so I will carry on eating the Sofa.

With this in mind what advise would you give new owners to prepare a new pup for what is to come.

Take it away COL........

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: What advise would you give new puppy owners ?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 09:10:20 PM »
Absolutely agree re fireworks - I sat with Humphrey in the open door way, played with him and fed him treats and he?s never had a problem.

Preparation for the vets: - don?t let the first visit be for injections or anything the slightest unpleasant, just go for a visit, feed treats and make it a pleasant experience.

Prep for groomer/vet : practise handling ears, mouth/teeth, paws, tail, using praise and treats.
In retrospect, I wish I had tried to get Humphrey used to standing while being brushed, he flops as soon as he?s on the table now which makes trimming very difficult!

Prep for traffic, busy situations - expose the pup to as many situations as possible (train, bus, shops, cafes, escalators, children, cattle, goats and all on McDonald?s farm ( ;))   as early as possible, loads of treats and making everything as natural as possible.

Remember that things are easier learned than unlearned so start as you mean to go on - if you don?t want the dog on the bed, furniture etc, its easier to show him the boundaries at 8 weeks than at 8 months!!

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: What advise would you give new puppy owners ?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 11:14:50 AM »
Some good advise here! I would add not putting too much pressure on oneself to be perfect all the time. The dogs usually turn out allright even if we are not the perfect dog trainers :) Learn the basics of positive reinforcement training, but adapt to the dogs and your own personality and situation.

The fireworks advise is perfekt for most dogs. However, if a dog is the nervous type or reacts to sounds more than other dogs then I would do more than just ignoring. Especially for the first experience with fireworks I would try and reduce the intensity of it. Pulling curtains, putting on some music. Doing some light training or just dropping treats to stop the dog focusing too much on the fireworks. But I definitely agree with ignoring the fireworks and acting normal, very good tip :)