Author Topic: Challenging boy  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
Re: Challenging boy
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 09:00:50 AM »
You are very lucky. Helen Phillips clicker gun dog trainer is in your county Runs courses for gun dog training. Think it might be worth your while looking her up.

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Challenging boy
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 03:11:14 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice!
We are in Worcestershire so if there are any known gundog training places I?d appreciate this!
With regards to his training he has done basic obedience and when we can get his attention he is really good, it?s just catching those snapshots as otherwise he just is not interested. We are still working with him.
At the moment he is interested in a ball inside, as soon as he?s outside he couldn?t care less. I am working on retrieving and he is getting better so hopefully the ball will become interesting at some point! Or another toy at least. The difficulty we have had is he isn?t toy or food orientated.
The Worcestershire Gundog Society may be a good place to start.  While they promote working gundogs in the field, I started training my cocker at my local working gundog club, with no pressure to work him in the field.  They are generally very welcoming to newcomers, and if not holding classes at present (as it's now shooting season) they will likely be able to recommend trainers local to the area.

You say he is ok 'when you can get his attention'.  He may well be finding the obedience routines a bit dull.  Cockers being clever little dogs, i find, bore very quickly.  some help from a trainer on what motivates him, as a working bred dog, and how to use it in training may be beneficial.  He probably needs to be using his nose and brain rather than just walking and being made to obey sit, etc.  Good luck with whatever route you go.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie