Author Topic: Help - Billy bit a boy today......  (Read 3601 times)

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
Re: Help - Billy bit a boy today......
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2006, 01:04:31 PM »
Jan, sound like you have made a good decision with muzzling - I would do this if I experience biting with any of mine.

Don't take any notice of silly people who judge you by your dog wearing a muzzle - you don't owe them an explanation as to why he is wearing a muzzle anyway ;), but if you do get any silly remarks, come and have a rant here - you know I love a good moan at the moment :D
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2006, 02:21:13 PM »
hi jan - have stayed out of this thread as you're getting great advice and support ;)

hope everythings all ok today xx

hugs to you and a squidge to billy :-*

Same from me and Alfie  :-*
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline no time for this

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2006, 08:10:42 PM »
From a Legal perspective I would say that the dog was under control, on a lead and in a secure area. The difference here is that the boy put his hands into the garden, a question a court might ask is whether the dog was know for this type of reaction and if it was then were the steps you had taken responsible?

I think the behavioural aspect of this is more for parents to teach their children not to approach or pet dogs without the owners permission.

Sooty is a biter, but he never bites people he approaches, he will only go for people who approach him, this behaviour of his is getting much better and he is a lot more relaxed around people than when I got him from the pound. A technique I use to aid this is constant handling and controlled exposure, using friends as training aids.

I think people make a lot of fuss over muzzles, its not exactly a ball and chain or instrument of torture, and as mentioned it gives you the reasurance that you wont have to have him pts because of someone elses stupidity, and he can enjoy himself just as much, though in this hot weather make sure you get one that allows him to pant.

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2006, 10:27:26 PM »
Bilbo would bite a child if approached on his territory so I have to be mega careful.
We were camping this weekend and I did not leave him tethered with the othr 3, but he was in the big crate in the back of the car, if a child had approached him while tethered near the car he would bite.
I do have a muzzle for Bilbo which I slip on if we are being approached by boxers as he was once attacked by one and will bite if they approach him, he also hates golden retrievers for the same reason.
It is hard because he is a big softy who loves people he knows but if he is on his territory then he will bite :huh:

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2006, 11:11:47 PM »
Thanks guys  ;)

I am as confident as I possibly can be that billy would never approach someone and bite, he'd only bite someone who approached him.

I understand the risk of prosecution and realise i have to take this seriously. I am nervous when i am out with him now, feel i have to have eyes in the back of my head. I'd never ever forgive myself if he had to be PTS due to biting as it would be my fault. Like I said earlier I am taking this episode as a warning and realise i have to do the responsible thing.

I will try a muzzle but have not got a clue which one to go for? Any suggestions bearing in mind Billy will hate it so one that is easy for him to get used to would be best?

cheers ;)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2006, 07:29:55 AM »
I'd go for a baskerville muzzle Jan - they are the basket type ones that still allow the dog to pant etc. I think he would tolerate that style better
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Penel

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2006, 07:56:55 AM »
When you first put it on him put a bit of peanut butter or cheese spread into the end of it - so his first experience of having it on for a few mins is positive... don't leave it on for more than about a minute - and do that several times a day - so he learns to actually voluntarily put his face into it.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2006, 09:28:44 AM »
I agree re the baskerville muzzle as we have a stupid dogwalker who muzzled his terrier with a fabric one --- dog can still bite Wilf or whichever dog he fancies ::)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline isla

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2006, 05:23:20 PM »
I agree re the baskerville muzzle as we have a stupid dogwalker who muzzled his terrier with a fabric one --- dog can still bite Wilf or whichever dog he fancies ::)

I would agree. My Mum uses one for her dog who bites when being groomed. She is quite happy wearing it.

Offline dood

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2006, 10:58:19 PM »
Hope all going well for you both and that he doesn't hate the muzzle too much. It's such a shame that boy just didn't think what he was doing.  :'(
Since reading this I've been much more conscious of other children approaching and really praised a little boy today when he asked me if it was ok to stroke Poppy.
On a different note I can't believe the number of adults who make a fuss of Poppy by sticking their hands in her mouth and say, 'Ow she bit me!' in shock, when in fact she's mouthing them with puppy teeth. Aaaagh!!

Sam and Poppy xxx

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2006, 11:53:29 PM »
I had to muzzel Jack for a while, but as has been said, I put it on only when he got tetchy. Usually he was trying to go for Peggy, but as I walk between them it was me that got bitten!! >:(

I had a similar experience two days ago of my directions almost being ignored. These 3 kids were with an adult. I saw them coming and got Jack's collar. They swamped Tia who was subdued as she'd just been sick. She ignored them, but might not have as she was unwell, and can get snappy if you approach from her blind side :o
They then swarmed towards Jack this time asking could they stroke him. I said no, and they only just stopped short - 'Why not?' Beacause he might bite you I told them. I then said that they should always ask before touching a dog as you never know how they'll be. I was hoping for back up from the adult, but none came.

I sympathise with not relaxing on walks. Jack's loads better now, but still can go for other dogs. I've not tested him near kids as I'm never sure how he'll be. He's got quite deaf, and with his failing sight lots of things suprise and alarm him. :'(
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!