Author Topic: barking for attention  (Read 5149 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: barking for attention
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2006, 10:36:54 AM »
I think my problem is that if I get woken up my bladder then 'wakes up' ::) so I have to go to the loo which is also downstairs --- I would walk to the loo half asleep, shut the door so totally ignored mine (inlcuding no eye contact --- could hardly open them anyway) then walked back up to bed and never heard a peep out of them again
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline vikkichance

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2006, 08:13:46 PM »
Hi everybody

Yes I am still in the land of the living - JUST!!!
Archie has been a little better although he poohed in the crate on Friday night.  He was quite difficult that night, barking non-stop.  Last night was better but I think that was because we didn't get to bed until 3am.  I'm keeping to the advice received and I feel it is now a battle of wills.
Dread going to bed but  hopefully the barking will lessen once Archie realises he is not going to get his own way.
I understand that not everyone agrees with keeping dogs downstairs but both hubby and I want to try to persevere at the moment.
We went to our regular weekly training classes on Thursday and had a long discussion with the trainer who was really kind and understanding.  He actually agreed with your advice Penel so that is t he road we are taking at the moment.
Good luck to everyone else in the same boat - you know you are not on your own!!
Will keep you posted.
Regards
Vikki

Penel

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2006, 08:46:51 PM »
Well done Vikki - remember he is just a lickle spanielly dog, your will is stronger than his  :005:

Offline kate.s

• Site Member
    • Ghost Tours UK
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2006, 09:09:11 PM »
Good luck Vikki, I admire the way you are sticking by your guns with this, I'm sure Archie will settle down in time. We had a similar problem with Sam at around the same age but we let him sleep with us and that worked out fine for us.

I'm sure with consistency things will work out....good luck  ;) :D
Love Kate and Sam xxx

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2006, 08:22:43 AM »
Well done Vikki - remember he is just a lickle spanielly dog, your will is stronger than his  :005:

You wanna bet?   :005: :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline vikkichance

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2006, 10:11:08 AM »
GOOD MORNING EVERYONE - WE HAVE SUCCESS!!!!
Can't believe it - we said goodnight at 10.30pm - no barking - nothing at all.  Alarm went off at 6.15 am still nothing - I thought omg is Archie still with us or has he escaped during the night.  Of course not - he was there awake and happy to see me.  I can't tell you how elated we feel, especially after a WHOLE NIGHT'S sleep.
I'm not counting my blessings yet - but hopefully we are on our way.
Thanks again for your support and will keep you posted.
Regards
A wide awake Vikki

Penel

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2006, 12:53:54 PM »

You wanna bet?   :005: :005:

yes I wanna bet - bring it on  >:(      :lol:

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE - WE HAVE SUCCESS!!!!

Yipeeeeeee - now just make sure you stay consistent - he will probably try it all again a few times - so make sure you ignore ignore ignore  :D  well done, isn't it nice when you get a really good sleep  :D

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2006, 01:22:13 PM »
Well Done :D My 2 sleep in the kitchen and always have done. It was hard a first but we got there. When we got our second it wasn't too bad. However in the monrinings, once Libby here's her dad get out of bed she howls, skrieks and barks til he's downstairs - but she is an attention seeker :005:
Anita

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2006, 02:00:18 PM »
Im so pleased for you. I know everyone has differences of opinion on where dogs sleep but its up to you to decide where you want them to sleep and go with that. Good luck for future nights.  ;)
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Guyman

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2006, 12:14:27 PM »
Hi,

We are too walking round like zombies through lack of continous sleep.

Our little fella is Kingsley and is 6 months old. We are having the same sort of problem. He wakes up in the night about 3am to 4am. We go downstairs as he stays in the kitchen. We open the back door and he goes out and has a wee, and goes back to his bed (Dog Bed). He however then wakes up around 5am and wants the whole house up to play with him. We have gone downstairs and let him out again and sometimes he has a poo but the majority of the time he just wants the attention. We have left him to moan and bark and also gone down and shouted, but neither seems to work. We have let him upstairs a couple of times at 5am and he will roam around or sit on our bed and chew a toy seems to just want the Company. The problem is that we also have two cats and if we let him upstairs the rest of the doors have to be closed or all hell breaks lose and we can never really get back to sleep as he will eat anythink he can find. (Rather partial to pop socks)

He is used to being left for awhile during the day but generally no more than a few hours as my daughter and son's girlfriend popping in.

The trouble is that we are never sure when he barks or moans if he wants to be let out.  :-\

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Colin & Liz

Penel

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2006, 11:14:08 PM »
Howz it going Vikki ?

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2006, 05:58:54 PM »
I have this same problem, 3/4 times a month, it seems to be tiggered off by, having someone stay over, id she has a chew a couple of hours before bedtime.

I have cotton wool by my bed, and all doors shut, I can still hear her, and I worry about the neighbours.

I wish I could say in my exp it gets better, but it hasn't.

On occasions I have gone down to the kitchen, and made a very loud SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, and it does work 9/10 times.

I may try the resuce remedy
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2006, 11:10:35 PM »
Been reading this and I feel for you all.  When Ronald was alive - not so long ago he kept us awake at night and it was exhausting, with him it was the other end of the age scale he was too old and senile.

When I got my two they were not crated and just left in the kitchen with an item of my clothing.  I used to shut them out for a period of time each day and be very quiet in the house until they'd settled and then go in and praise them, this way they were better on a night faster and I never got up to them if they started barking but I know with a situation like Vicky's it's gone that stage further and more action is needed.  I do hope you get sorted, it sounds very much like you are getting there.

With regard to the messing, this is something I had to deal with and only recently made the decision to crate - my two are now 17 months and 19 months and the crate has stopped mess on a night, they are woken about 6am and let out and then go back in their crate until I literally drag them out of it at 7.30 am.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx