Author Topic: worried,aggresion  (Read 1538 times)

Offline dog2

• Site Member
worried,aggresion
« on: June 01, 2004, 07:50:30 PM »
We have had Benj for over 2 years now.At first he was the kind of dog that if a child wanted to stroke him i would say yes,now I,m not so sure.He has over the past few months,maybe even a year if i think about it got more unruly.He barks randomley at people,women and kids mainly and if on the lead men.He lunges at them and has got hold of a womans skirt before now.He cant be trusted to behave and its getting worse.I,m thinking a behaviourist will be needed as my husband says he goes if it carries on.He doesnt want to wait he says until something bad happens,well nor do I espescially with our grandchildren.We are building atm and every penny is needed for that,does anyone know how much they are? I had to persuade him to have Benj in the first place.But we dont know about his background as lies were told by his previous owner and now we think he may have had a problem with their grandchild.When we got him we had no small children and no idea that we would soon have our first grandchild and now another on the way.When the door knocks he barks like mad even when its one of our own and they call through the door.He has nipped me a couple of times and doesnt like me cleaning him after a walk when he growls at me and turns his head towards me.He barks at people on walks and a;ways has to try being dominant with other dogs.He lives with 2 cats but chases cats belonging to other people.My 12 year old son cant take him on the lead any more as I,m afraid he will pull him over.He is very unpredictable and it scares me. :cry: Would he be better off with a family with no children and maybe another dog?We cant afford another dog and anyway dont think its a good idea to take on another when we are having problems with Benj.                    

Offline PennyB

worried,aggresion
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 08:47:18 PM »
While some may say a behaviourist would help I also think some retraining might be able to solve some if not all Benji's problems. I personally would start with a good trainer and may be with some 1-2-1 lessons. I go to one here in Cardiff (well Caerphilly really) whenever my two start playing up and I get concerned, and thankfully they only cost 15 for half an hour, which may sound a lot but its amazing how much you can learn in that time.

Its often better to see someone face to face as they will get a better idea of your dog.

Have you tried using a halti for starters as these can often help with the lunging by gently 'pulling' his muzzle away from the problem.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline dog2

• Site Member
worried,aggresion
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 01:36:59 PM »
no i havnt tried a halti,any one in particular to reccomend?Dont want one that rubs or catches as he has a huge(fatty) lump on his chest that the vet wont remove til he has lost 10lbs.My daughter took him for a walk this morning and he was very well behaved there is no rhyme or reason to his unpredictable behaviour.I did take him for training when we first got him and he was 3 and a half but the lessons werent very good and everything else was booked up to the hilt.They used food for treats and he couldnt have any as he was grossly overweight when we first had him.He was going mad for the treats that the other dogs were getting. :roll:                    

Offline PennyB

worried,aggresion
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 01:49:12 PM »
halti goes round his head and the control is from the muzzle rather than the neck.

Why not try the training classes you consider to be better. Ruby went to a bad training class although others considered it good but they were useless about training cockers. I then took her for 1-2-1 at another trainers and she came on in leaps and bounds and has since been to the group intermediate class with the same trainer. Unfortunately cockers work best with food. Am sure that a few treats won't be too bad. In our last class treats were used less and less and Ruby thus worked harder to get what she could (may be you could use low fat cheese or lean meat). You could always cut back on her other food which is what I do. I wouldn't avoid a class just because of this as there's always a way round it and in the end you get a better behaved dog.

Cockers can be unpredicatable in all things. LOL

One thing is important that he doesn't get away with bad behaviour either a firm 'no' or just ignoring him and walking away in certain instances as sometimes they do things to get your attention (and cockers hate to be ignored!). I really do think you should try again with the training classes and see if there is a 1-2-1 good trainer in your area so you can see the problems differently (there may be more ways than one to solve a problem sometimes).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bunny

• Site Member
worried,aggresion
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 07:49:04 PM »
hi,
i agree, bad behaviour can be down to attention seeking, just like in a child, and he could be picking up on other peoples feelings, if someone in the family doesnt really want him.
I to have heard of people in the past re-homing dogs and been lied to, i think you need to keep a very open mind, when going to kennells.
there are genuine cases there and there are dogs there that do have behaviour problems.
are you scard of your cocker when he is like that, as he could be picking up on your anxiety, and fear, if you are, you need to pull the reins back, and let him know who is boss, there are lots of ways to do this.
my eldest son has no like of animals, and never welcomes elmo, he is not cruel at all, just never shows him any attention or speaks to him, and elmo welcomes everybody and licks them to death, but NOT my eldest son, do you see what i mean.
hope this helps
stay in touch
bunny and elmo
x                woof woof                    

Offline LesleyP

• Site Member
worried,aggresion
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 01:23:33 PM »
Hello

I do sympathise.  We have recently taken on a rescue 1 year old who was turning difficult.  I posted on the forum and had lots of very helpful advice.

We did contact someone from the APDT who came round and was very helpful.  Normal training classes just don't work for Bob.  Without boring you with details, I was getting stressed about the situation because like you my husband hadn't been keen in the first place and we have money restrictions.  We have gone back to basics.  It does sound as if you have a dominance problem like us (Bob was trying to become the pack leader) were as I thought he wasn't settling and showered him with love and attention which completely back fired.  He is getting better slowly but surely although my girls sometimes have problems.  We use a gentle leader, which is like a halti, which has meant that I can walk him without being dragged and gives good control, it works by pulling round his muzzle and as I was told, where his muzzle goes he has to follow.  I am also sure by me trying to be calm has helped, they do pick up on your moods!

We also give him 'time out' as well when he misbehaves, when he is trying to be the centre of attention we distract him with a kong.  As for the front door, we now attach him by lead to the bannister, so he can see who it is, but until he settles down he will not be unhooked.

Another suggestion by the lovely people on the forum was Bach flower remedies which are working wonders together with the going back to basics.  The book Dogs Mixbehaving by Martin J Scott has been a great help re Bach remedies and I picked that up off Amazon for less than £10.

I feel much more positive and Bob is winning the heart of my husband as well.  I am sure you can win, they need to know who is boss!

Let us know how you get on.

Lesley & Bob                    

Offline dog2

• Site Member
worried,aggresion
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 10:52:12 PM »
thankyou all for your replies.I must say at times i feel like I,m failing Benj and that he would honestly be better off in another home.but he loves me and I know that.He,s lying next to me as i type this and nevre goes far from my side,maybe he's too close?Yes I do get a bit scared when he has a go especially when he is in the car and snaps and when I,m cleaning him after a muddy walk and he growls a warning at me.I do tell him to shutup though in what i think is a harsh voice :? When the kids spoil him he goes to pieces and acts as if he owns the place.He has to be kept down a bit.My husband isnt cruel either just would rather we didnt have a dog.And I,m thinking of having another for a friend for Benj but not sure.We have tried this before and he has just picked up any bad habits and it hasnt worked out.Sometimes i feel i dont have the time for him and he gets a bit of a short shrift and put on the back burner if  i am particularly busy which seems to be so often these days.Life has changed a lot since we first got him.Sorry to sound so negative :cry: