Author Topic: Why do dogs 'hump'?  (Read 1945 times)

Offline curly_locks

Why do dogs 'hump'?
« on: April 21, 2011, 08:46:45 AM »
So other than the obvious reason :005: why do dogs hump other dogs? Sonny is 9 months old now and seems to be very 'attractive' to other male dogs, quite a few times when we've been out on walks other dogs have tried to hump him, he seems to flop onto the floor and roll onto his back when they do this. We were followed home by a stray yesterday who kept mounting Sonny - I had to pick him up and carry him in the end! The other dog followed us all the way home and as soon as I put Sonny down he was on top of him again. Is it a dominance thing? I'm also not really sure what I should do for Sonny, whether this is frightening for him and I should stop the other dog or if I should just leave them to it.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Why do dogs 'hump'?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 08:49:12 AM »
Is he neutered and how are his anal glands - I know a few neutered dogs that are irresistible to other male dogs, and dogs with anal gland issues can often attract unwanted attention too.

Sometimes dogs hump to force other dogs to react and 'play' too.  It's not always sexual, and it's not always dominance.
helen & jarvis x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:04:55 AM »
I had a real problem with a neuteured black lab this week and Charlie (and Jasper to a lesser extent).

This lab is 12 months old and just had the op, Charlie loves black labs but this one was like a magnet to both Charlie and Jasper, Charlie was trying to mount him and then when they walked on, Charlie bolted after a few minutes and went back to the car park to find Archie.  About 1/2 way round he tried to go again when he found his scent and spent the rest of the walk on a lead. 

Charlie then didn't eat his tea and sat howling in the kitchen which happened a few times in the night too.

Whatever it was This lab was certainly giving off something very desirable and it seems is the case to others too.  It didn't happen before his op.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline curly_locks

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:26:02 AM »
Sonny is entire, I'm in no hurry to neuter him as he was such a nervous pup, he's much more confident now and I'm worried that losing his bits might make him nervous again. As far as I can tell he has no anal gland problems, he produces firm poos and doesn't scoot his bottom or show any signs of discomfort. He had been playing quite happily with the little dog yesterday and then suddenly it decided to mount him and then wouldn't leave him alone. He isn't keen on letting dogs sniff his bottom, unless he already knows them - so perhaps that has something to do with it?

So would it be OK to leave them to it or should I try and shoo the other dog away? It's not every dog we meet but it has happened a fair few times and I don't want Sonny to become nervous around other dogs again.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 11:24:54 AM »
Roly is an entire boy and he will occassionaly hump the girls (Lexi & Ellie) when they've been playing - Lexi especially seems to wind him up.  He rarely humps other dogs when we're out but will sometimes get humped (which doesn't seem to bother him - he just lies down as your dog does, or he may tell them off if  they're persistant).  If he does hump other dogs it does seem to be particular one - generally golden cockers and usually pups between 8-14 months (I think he likes blondes), boys or girls.  Quite often their owners will say that their other resident dogs will also hump these dogs.
Roly's best yet was last Sunday when he tried to hump a rather large pointer/lurcher cross who was twice his size.  He gave up after a while  :lol2:

As to why - as Helen has said sometimes it can be because of anal glands and I guess sometimes they just smell interesting.  When Lexi came home after spending 3 days at the vet the other week Roly behaved like she was in season and got very worked up panting, whining and being a general nuisance.  Normally she doesn't mind but she did tell him off quite harshly as he just wouldn't leave her alone (and he did have to spend a few days in solitary to give Lexi a break).  It took 2-3 days before Lexi's "home smell" was back and Roly started behaving himself. 

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline black taz

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 12:24:13 PM »
Taz as been neutered and is a real dog magnet, again he rolls over and lets them smell his bits - most of them are just interested in his smell rather than trying to humping.  Our biggest problem was on our local park where a labradoodle would try and hump him all the time, even if he was running around, so i have stopped going as the owners also dog would pee on Taz as well, the owner was useless. >:D

One thing i would suggest if you have a problem with a stray - don't pick him up - this leaves you both very vunerable and some dogs get even more excited and will jump up.

Taz will hump my lab Kira if she is getting one over on him whilst playing - i think he is just trying to put her back in her place.

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:28:26 PM »
A long time ago, I was walking Henry and came across a man with a lab and a springer. We were chatting away, as I used to see this guy and his wife out and about regularly, and the dogs were playing around us. Then the springer started humping the lab, and before we knew it, Henry joined in and started humping the springer while it was still humping the lab, like some kind of x-rated canine conga line :rofl1:

Not an answer as to why, but the mental image still makes me chuckle, especially the poor lab's 'what are the kids up to now...' long-suffering face :005:

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 01:21:14 PM »
like some kind of x-rated canine conga line :rofl1:

This happens all the time at ours! Eddie (only half neutered  :005: tries to hump my brother's spayed choccie lab, and his older neutered boy lab joins the back of the line to hump Eddie!! The long suffering choccie lab's face is always a picture ph34r
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline curly_locks

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 03:23:32 PM »
Thanks for the advice, and terrible mental image of indecent doggy conga lines ph34r I guess I'll wait and see what happens, perhaps when he matures a bit he'll be a bit less attractive to he boys :005:

One thing i would suggest if you have a problem with a stray - don't pick him up - this leaves you both very vunerable and some dogs get even more excited and will jump up.

I'll definitely bear this in mind in future, and I wouldn't normally pick him up (he's too heavy to be a handbag dog!) but we really couldn't move because of this dog, Sonny just flopped onto the ground, every time I managed to get him up again the other dog would mount him and then he'd flop onto the ground again. When I accidentally let go of the lead Sonny ran off with the other dog chasing him, although he did come back when I blew the whistle for him - with the little stray hot on his heels. Thankfully the other dog didn't jump up once I had hold of Sonny, but he did follow us home, mounted Sonny when I put him down to open the front door, and then came in and made himself at home. He has since gone to the dog pound, they said they'd let me know if/when his owner reclaims him.

Offline les

• Site Member
  • Bentley the scruff
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »
Bentley our cocker tends to hump Jenson our Viz and alway his head...If i didnt stop it, Jen would just let him carry on.
Bentley & his Mum

Offline Spanielsmum

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 09:08:56 PM »
 :005: :005: You should see my 6.5kg King Charles bitch humping my 26.5kg springer dog!!!!! Hilarious, but not sure why she does it, they're all modified.

Offline black taz

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 11:26:39 AM »
you have to admire there ambition though :005:

Offline curly_locks

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 02:15:03 PM »
Reading these replies I think I should just count myself lucky that Sonny isn't a sex pest (yet!) :005: