Author Topic: I am so worried. Where has my good boy gone?  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
I am so worried. Where has my good boy gone?
« on: October 22, 2012, 02:41:21 PM »
Luis has never been the best of my dogs at re-call......but after running, he would always come back to a safe distance from us.

Sadly, he is not motivated by treats or food.....so training has never been an incentive based activity.

Things are now getting very worrying.  We want to see him running in the countryside where we walk, and to trust him, and to give him freedom

BUT....yesterday was traumatic.  We lost him for over 40 minutes.  I truly thought he was gone.

What can I do, apart from keeping him on an extended lead?  Has anyone else had this problem?  Luis is just about to be 4 years old.

Ollie, our other boy....and Gracie the puppy are great....they love the treats, and respond well to re-call and training.

I would appreciate any ideas here.  Thank you.  :huh:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline jaybee

• Donator
Re: I am so worried. Where has my good boy gone?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 02:43:03 PM »
Oh Maureen, how worrying
 :bigarmhug:

I'm so sorry I can offer absolutely no advice but didn't want to read this and leave without saying anything. Someone will be along to help, I am sure.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Lily Freya

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 02:46:48 PM »
Oh Maureen, how worrying
 :bigarmhug:

I'm so sorry I can offer absolutely no advice but didn't want to read this and leave without saying anything. Someone will be along to help, I am sure.

Jen we are so worried.  He is just so determined these days.  We put in a lot of training, but there is nothing we can use as an incentive.....so if something interests him, he's off.

We have already decided that on the long, planned walk in November....he will have to be on extended lead...which saddens me.   :'(
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »
It's not an attention thing is it? You know like an older sibling when mum has a new baby. I cannot imagine with someone so experienced as yourself it would be, but you never know what goes in these cocker's minds do you?
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 02:54:26 PM »
Does he have a special toy or something he absolutely loves? Could you perhaps only take this on walks and it could be the 'treat' to get him to come back to you?

I'm sure there must be a way. It must be such a scary feeling when they disappear, I can't even begin to imagine.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Lily Freya

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 02:59:39 PM »
It's not an attention thing is it? You know like an older sibling when mum has a new baby. I cannot imagine with someone so experienced as yourself if would be, but you never know what goes on these cocker's minds do you?

Thanks so much for replying.  

I thought about that one myself, but this all started before Gracie came, and has become progressively worse.  He is really worrying me now.

We have the most beautiful countryside surrounding our village.....and the last thing I want to do is to restrict him to a lead.

What do I do?  Some days he is excellent, other days he is off, and there is no tracking him.  The moors are so vast.

I wish there was an incentive.....but he is not attracted to treats, he can take them or leave them.....and e has no favourite toy.  

I don't want to cut his freedom, but I am scared he will come to harm. Xx

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:00:25 PM »
It must be very worrying!  I would be beside myself if Ozzy disappeared like that!  I can't offer any advice, but didn't want to 'read & run'.  Is there nothing he likes to eat above anything else that you could tempt him with?  Hopefully there will be someone along soon who might have a possible solution.  Sending big hugs   :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Lily Freya

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 03:03:48 PM »
Does he have a special toy or something he absolutely loves? Could you perhaps only take this on walks and it could be the 'treat' to get him to come back to you?

I'm sure there must be a way. It must be such a scary feeling when they disappear, I can't even begin to imagine.

Hi Jen...he has toys...but none are favourites or incentives.  Ollie, is so different in that way.

When the young couple found him, and then looked for us........he really looked distraught.  But, even that experience doesn't stop him.  He would have been off again had we not restricted him with the lead.

I don't want to have him neutered, but I am wondering if he is being distracted by scents. Xx

Offline Lily Freya

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »
It must be very worrying!  I would be beside myself if Ozzy disappeared like that!  I can't offer any advice, but didn't want to 'read & run'.  Is there nothing he likes to eat above anything else that you could tempt him with?  Hopefully there will be someone along soon who might have a possible solution.  Sending big hugs   :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Thank you so much.  If you think of anything, or hear of anyone else having had the same experience...please let me know  xxx

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »
We've found that Bingley won't recall to Rob for any food or toy, he will only return to Rob if he grabs his attention and then runs in the opposite direction, granted not always practical but it works. 

Maureen, perhaps you could contact a trainer/behaviourist and see what they say? Perhaps someone who has worked with breeds who are challenging to teach recall? I have had a look online and lots of scary forum posts pop up about electric shock collars etc but Im sure you won't want to go down that route! If you could find someone, a professional who is willing to help, maybe Luis will benefit from a little one on one time with you/Roger and a trainer? Perhaps you could get in touch with Top Barks, he is around York i believe, and see if he could perhaps recommend someone? Just a thought.  :-*

Offline Lily Freya

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »

Can you believe this is the NORTY boy?  Love him to bits....but am so worried. X

Offline Lily Freya

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 03:24:46 PM »
We've found that Bingley won't recall to Rob for any food or toy, he will only return to Rob if he grabs his attention and then runs in the opposite direction, granted not always practical but it works. 

Maureen, perhaps you could contact a trainer/behaviourist and see what they say? Perhaps someone who has worked with breeds who are challenging to teach recall? I have had a look online and lots of scary forum posts pop up about electric shock collars etc but Im sure you won't want to go down that route! If you could find someone, a professional who is willing to help, maybe Luis will benefit from a little one on one time with you/Roger and a trainer? Perhaps you could get in touch with Top Barks, he is around York i believe, and see if he could perhaps recommend someone? Just a thought.  :-*

Thanks so much Jen......I think it might be a good idea to go down the trainer route.  Luis is only 4, so I want this resolved. Xx

Offline Lily Freya

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 03:35:53 PM »
Hi Jen....just pm'd Top Barks.....so will keep you posted.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 03:58:51 PM »
Maureen you can buy mega long leads which i think are at least 10 metres  :shades:  it still does give them a lot of freedom to run too  :shades:
All you need to do is attach it to Luism, throw it on the ground & if he starts to wander off just put your foot on it. 
At least this way until you can get soe more advice you know he will be safe  :shades: :luv:

I can really understand how worrying it is for you  :'(  Alfie did have a stage of bogging off for a while but to lose Luis for that amount of time must have been heartstopping for you  :'(

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »
I think we've all had that 'heart in mouth' moment when you think they really won't come back. It is terrifying.

I was also going to suggest professional help, but I have one other suggestion as well. Jem used to be almost perfect on recall, then as she got older, as often happens, she got worse! The thing we had more success with than recall was getting her to stand still. So she may not come back to us, but she would at least stand still. Not ideal but at least then you can get to them.

Hope you get it sorted soon :)

Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x