Author Topic: Vibrating collar - any in South/Mid Essex I could borrow, please?  (Read 4990 times)

Offline zenon_bass

I've known for some time that 14yr+ Millie's sight is falling. (She has no hearing now either.) So it came a rather a shock last weekend to realise that 8 metres is about her limit....   :'(
We were in the garden (poo picking  :005:) and Millie suddenly panicked and ran back indoors hunting for me...

I'm considering buying a vibratng collar, and to try to teach her to sit/stay when it vibrates.  However they are quite expensive.
Does anyone know of one I could borrow temporarily in the south or mid Essex area, please? To be returned when I know how she reacts to it.... She's quite touch sensitive at home.

Of course we always walk in safe areas, but its never a good feeling to suddenly see the panic on her face when she thinks I'm out of range. Especially when panic takes over and she runs in the opposite direction... >:(
We have a long line ready for when the time comes...

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Vibrating collar - any in South/Mid Essex I could borrow, please?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 09:25:36 PM »
I don't have such a collar and I suspect most on COL won't have  ;) can I suggest you change the subject to something closer to "help needed for a deaf cocker with failing eyesight"? There may be other suggestions on how to help her also

Jayne
X

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 11:48:54 AM »
When Roobs, who was already blind, began to get more deaf I began walking her onlead more to be honest and she felt more secure that way anyway and she enjoyed her walks just as much 
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 12:16:22 PM »
My old cocker Sophie was visually impaired all her life and eventually lost her sight completely. She did much better on a lead and found it reassuring to have that 'lifeline' so that she knew she was being steered and kept safe. I would start to use a lead and/or long line now with a harness. I think Millie will be happier. I worry (as I think you do) that something new like a vibrating collar might frighten her

Good luck,

Rodney

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 06:58:32 PM »
Thanks for your comments, everyone!
Millie always wears a harness (I think her windway was damaged sometine in the past - another story) and the long line lives in the car boot...
I do agree that it wont be that long before its in use, but, as we always walk where everyone knows each others dogs and will hold on to them if needed, I feel happy still letting her have that little freedom she has for the time being...   Having realised now how poor her sight is, I'm slowing and waiting for her to finish sniffing, rather than charging along the path out of her sight range :005:

We walk sometimes with cocker Honey, who has had to have both eyes removed.  However her hearing is still good and she has learnt lots of new verbal commands, msuch as left, right, stop, mind! She behaves so naturally, especially following her nose, that many people think her owner is batty, talking to her dog as they dont realise Honey's handicap.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 11:28:30 PM »
Watching this with interest as I have a similar dilemma with Ben. His hearing has just about gone for voices, but he does still hear the whistle. His sight has changed but he still sees ok to get around, however I am really careful out walking as I can't call him back and a couple of times he has shot off looking for me and in his panic just can't seem to find me. Can Millie hear a whistle, would that help her to locate you?
Ben has got more jumpy as his hearing has deteriorated and I suppose my thoughts would be that a sudden vibration would be scary or confusing, but not sure I have any helpful suggestions though sorry  ph34r as I am pondering the same thing. 

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 10:32:34 AM »
Its quite a relief to know that Ben's mum is noticing similar behaviour with Ben to Millie.

Unfortunately she can't seem to hear anything at all, though very very occasionally she surprises me. Her sight to get around is limited, e.g. her spatial awareness in confined spaces is suspect. But out on safe park walks she can still manage OK.  Going from light to shade tends to make her pause while her eyes adjust and also approaching dogs are suddenly in her comfort zone, which she doesnt appreciate.
Depending on who is approaching, I may turn her so her back is facing the approaching dog: then she cant hear or see the 'threat' and I gently ward off any noses that are too close for her comfort. (😳or have words with those who say 'my dog only wants to play,' especially if it is a large mastiff!)

Millie has also panicked and shot off looking for me, hence my wondering whether a vibrating collar/sit-stay command would help....

I had a look at the Deaf Dog network website and it had a useful section about introducing a vibrating collar to a dog.  It also has a page for deaf/blind dogs.

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 10:34:52 AM »
Before anyone comments further,  :shades: I'm beginning to face the fact that the long line will be in use before long..

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 10:51:35 AM »
It will, plus may make your dog feel more secure anyway - even with a collar like this they only know you're there when you activate it whereas a line has  a permanent feeling of security - I just used a long training lead with Ruby and she was happy that way
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline daw

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 11:02:42 AM »
Sorry that this has become a problem... but don't despair- our blue roan lad lived to be 17, the last 5 years with virtually no vision and poor hearing. But he enjoyed life, went swimming on the long lead and didn't seem distressed overly- unless we horrible humans forget and left something in the house he could trip over.  :-\ there's still lots for a cocker to like so long as you can keep the anxiety level to a minimum.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 07:07:01 PM »
Before anyone comments further,  :shades: I'm beginning to face the fact that the long line will be in use before long..

Ben has always been an off lead dog, so I was worried about keeping him on the longline as in the past he has hated being on a lead, I have noticed though he doesn't seem as bothered now, perhaps because he doesn't spend the whole walk running around like a loon now. Ben also seems to struggle with more uneven ground as well, does Millie? He has gone over a couple of times recently, not hard but just slipped when the ground doesn't go in the direction he expects it too !

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 08:54:21 PM »
Ben has always been an off lead dog, so I was worried about keeping him on the longline as in the past he has hated being on a lead, I have noticed though he doesn't seem as bothered now, perhaps because he doesn't spend the whole walk running around like a loon now. Ben also seems to struggle with more uneven ground as well, does Millie? He has gone over a couple of times recently, not hard but just slipped when the ground doesn't go in the direction he expects it too !
[/quote]

Millie is just the same! Off lead, hunting in hedges, retrieving mummified foxes  :lol2: when she came to me 3yrs ago. She was very fit for her age and the vet queried her birth date  :005:
Fortunately our walks are fairly level. The only times she has slipped are in one notoriously muddy patch (which we are avoiding currently) linking one part of a walk to another.  However she misjudged slightly when descending the last two stairs this morning, seeming to feel her way down... I tend to leave strategic lights on round the house at night.

Two years ago our vet said that it was all about niffs and sniffs and we should be restricting walks.  I felt upset as Millie seemed to be coping.  Now I know what the vet meant! From traipsing the local footpaths for 2-3 hours when she was 11, Millie is now happy with 40-50mins park walks, just once daily, all at a slow amble with seat breaks along the way. She lets me know in her own way when she's had enough and still gets visits to friends in the car to break up the rest of the day. Sometimes, as yesterday, she is happy with 20 minute toilet breaks and wagging her tail when back at the car.

How long and often are Ben's walks now?

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 12:11:48 PM »
How long and often are Ben's walks now?

Ben goes out for a minimum of an hour a day, but the walks can vary depending on how he is.  Sometimes we spilt up and OH takes Harry for a longer run as at 6 he still wants to run forever  :lol2: then I will take Ben for a pottering walk, particularly if he is a bit stiff in his back.  Other days when Ben is on top form he goes with Harry and is mostly off lead and does quite a bit of running.  Up until October he was swimming in the river most days  :luv:  Interestingly in other years he has swum through the winter as well, however this year he is choosing not to go in the water now its colder.  I would also try to distract him if he looked like he was going in now as he seems to feel the cold more and I don't want him to get chilled.

We have also had problems with the stairs recently, Ben has always run down the stairs full pelt and jumped off the last few  >:( however he doesn't have the control in his legs now to slow down near the bottom, and sometimes he doesn't seem to see the stairs clearly and slides down a few.  Twice he has slid from near the top when he has missed a stair out, which was terrifying and how he didn't seriously harm himself I don't know.  We have started to carry him down to stop the running, as in his head he still thinks he is a youngster  ;) he hates being carried down and protests loudly all the way !!  We also have a baby gate from when they were puppies and if we are going to both be out we will put that up to stop him going up stairs on his own.

We have brought a fantastic portable light from Screwfix that is waterproof and very bright so that when he goes into the garden at night the whole garden is lit up otherwise in the dark he can't see steps, logs etc and was tripping over things.  I usually stand in the dark and rain with the light just so he can wee without falling over  :005:

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 12:50:02 PM »
Cockers are very fortunate having an additional sensory world of scent which we cannot even begin to imagine.

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 09:28:48 PM »
Cockers are very fortunate having an additional sensory world of scent which we cannot even begin to imagine.

Yes, totally agree! I only have to open the car boot prior to walk starting and she obviously knows just where she is.

Hasnt this thread moved away from vibrating collars!  :lol2:
Could have done with one today.... Millie startled the swimming pool attendants by trotting into the foyer searching for me! This park is not somewhere we go often!  Was pleased to meet Erica with Jessie, Dylan having a duvet day!