Author Topic: Working cocker question  (Read 1652 times)

Offline sunshine123

Working cocker question
« on: February 04, 2021, 07:54:18 AM »
Hi there we have been looking for a pup for some time to add to our family. We've found a breeder who has a litter of working cockers due soon, he has said they come from very good working stock but assures me that they will equally make good family pets.
He has mentioned that both parents have over 100ftch in 5 generations.
I would just like opinions on how a pedigree like this would realistically be as a family pet. Now the dog will be well exercised off the leas etc and I'm aware of the need for mental stimulation etc.
We previously had a lovely Springer but she was very quiet in the house.
I dont want to be unfair to a dog of this pedigree if not working it will cause it to be bored or not settled at home.
Appreciate any guidance.
Many thanks

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Working cocker question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 08:19:38 AM »
Hi and welcome to Col

I am not up on ftch but just wanted to welcome you

There are some very knowledgeable people on here who hopefully with be along soon to advise you on ftch

I am having a working pup join me end of next month (I am getting her from the same breeder that I got my last one from) my last one had ftch but I can’t say I took too much notice of these but then I know the breeder

My last one was fantastic as a pet, we exercised her used mental games to stimulate her etc.

The new pup is going to be treated the same but also trained for beating etc.

Wishing you all the best

Offline Shaun W

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 08:26:08 AM »
Hi,
Alfie is a 6 month old Working Cocker pup and is intended as a family pet, we have no plans to work him.
From reading on here he would appear to be a perfectly normal Cocker puppy, we have zoomies, cuddle storms, cockerdile, tug play, no sock is safe, he will collect shoes and slippers and cuddle storms (so good I mention them twice).
He is clever picks up his training quickly and is easily the most affectionate dog I have ever owned, he must know I’m typing about him as he has jumped up for a quick cuddle and to bring me a trainer.
I’m not sure what the pedgeee holds in the way of champions as both mum and dad were pets.
At the moment he is on 3 20-30 minute walks a day and he is more boisterous/mischievous if he doesn’t get his morning one.

He’s not that sociable, which seems to be the consequence of an inexperienced breeder and lockdown so didn’t get out, he didn’t finish his vaccinations until 16 weeks so we weren’t able to get him out and about.
He will play with most dogs but doesn’t bother, as in will ignore them, with people outside of his family and if I’m honest that doesn’t bother me.

When lockdown ends and we can get him out and about again, I suspect that will improve as he gets the chance to meet more people. I may take him to agility classes or do some working training but only because that is his nature and it feels wrong to deny him that, but apparently as I play tug with him, he may not be any good for collecting birds.

I did buy Janet Menzies book, The Cocker Spaniel, Care and training for home and sport and apart from the gorgeous pictures it’s been useful.

We originally wanted a Gold Show bitch, but hit a crisis point where the dog shaped hole needed filling and I can honestly say I’m so glad we got him. The other plus is that his coat is fine and dries so much quicker than the full show coat would.   

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 09:28:04 AM »
I don't know but pup will probably have a high work drive. But you can simulate working environments when you walk and play. Our gemma is a worker although now we don't get much chance for her to go with us. So on walks we have her retrieving toys, a dummy etc. We send her to find things in undergrowth, doesn't matter nothings there, it's fun for them.
Keeping thier minds active is the most important thing. Lastly the above games can also be played in the house. If you have gun dog training near by and a few a spare quid that will be good for you and pup. Getting a good recall is important. Gemma is our first wcs and couch potato dog
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 01:24:09 PM »
Hi,

Great question to ask!  In all honesty, lots of FTCh indicates you are getting a well bred cocker spaniel, it doesn’t necessarily tell you how well behaved they are.....  You need to see both sire and dam in action to know what their temperament is like, how biddable they are and how busy.  I believe most traits are passed down the dams side.

We have four working cockers (lost our 5th, a show type, last week) they need clear boundaries, mental stimulation and lots of training.  One of ours has a very high prey drive (chase instinct) she’s a handful and I made mistakes in her early training.  If you have a pup with this characteristic, be prepared to have to put a lot of hours in to training and get the stop whistle from day one.  The youngest dog is biddable, wants to please and has been incredibly easy to train.  She has a number of Championship winners in her pedigree and will trial next season - would have done this season had it gone ahead!

Appreciate you had a Springer but it would be wise to go to gundog training irrespective of intending to work the pup, or not.  They will help with all aspects of owning a cocker spaniel, from advice on feeding to that stop whistle or set of brakes as it’s known.  There is nothing more satisfying than being able to stop your dog at distance and recall or redirect as you want!  Believe me you will be grateful of help with this!  You also need to teach a settle command, as I’m typing I have a dog lying at my feet and another asleep in her bed.  The other two are with OH, I know one will be flat out on the floor and one asleep under his desk!  Cockers can be very different to springers.

If the pedigree is worrying you, feel free to pm me the dam and sire names and I can research both lines for you.  I may even know or know of the breeder.

Welcome to COL.

Offline sunshine123

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 02:52:41 PM »
Many thanks for all the replies I really appreciate it.Lots of food for thought. Will do some more research on the parents and take it from there.
Best wishes.