Author Topic: Melon/Melon Skin?  (Read 718 times)

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
Melon/Melon Skin?
« on: January 02, 2013, 09:01:26 PM »
My dogs noses all start twitching when I'm cutting up a melon. The scraps (skin & seeds) get sent up the garden for the chickens, however, if the dogs manage to get to it first they go mad for it, skin and all! Is it bad for them?

Offline dizzytrish

• Donator
Re: Melon/Melon Skin?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 09:21:31 PM »
Interested in answers also, as mine like the melon skin too :D

Offline fenby

• Donator
  • Harvey
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 10:09:38 PM »
Not sure about the skin, but Harvey loves melon, he is always drooling when I have some.  ;)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 10:22:41 PM »
William once stole and ate a piece of melon skin that had been placed by my friend's OH on top of their tumble dryer in readiness for being fed to their guinea pigs. William can't reach kitchen counter height but the tumble dryer was a bit lower. Quick phone call to the vet for reassurance and was told that it would be digested but to watch him in case he'd swallowed a massive piece without chewing as that might cause a blockage. He was fine but ever since then regularly checks the top of their tumble dryer just in case :005:

I sometimes blitz some melon into the veg. and fruit mix I give to the dogs with their raw meat, but not often because of the high sugar content and potential for damaging teeth.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:29:45 AM »
Coco absolutely loves melon especially watermelon and will eat the skin too given half a chance :005:  When I put some out for the chooks I try to pick up the skins before she can get them but she has beaten me to it a few times  >:(  She does chew things up quite well and has had no problems with it but, as Elaine says, I would keep an eye out to make sure they don't have a problem with it "passing through"  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 02:54:07 PM »
Thanks for the posts - interesting to see others like it to! Seems an odd thing for a dog to like!!  :005: I'll give in to those puppy dog eyes a bit more often with small chunks of the stuff!

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 04:57:22 PM »
I have had a look on tinterweb and it is ok for them to eat melon but some sites warn against eating the rind.
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline HayleyJB

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 10:31:56 PM »
My eldest (lab/collie cross) loves watermelon & pineapple. Bizarre things for a dog to like but I've been told they are harmless.
RIP Misty 09.04.90 - 26.03.05 & her daughter Jezzie 15.07.94 - 08.07.11 x