Author Topic: Merlin marking  (Read 628 times)

Offline Happygal

• Wispa now 2 years old
Merlin marking
« on: May 01, 2013, 09:23:19 AM »
Wispa has come into season, first after her litter , and obviously dont want her to be mated now . How best to deal with Merlin, who is scenting and marking around the house? Am keeping them separate when not with me and thinkin of sending one to my mums for a few weeks but are there any other things i could do ? Want to use Merlin as stud later so dont want to get him neutered just yet.

any special sprays or things i can use please??

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Merlin marking
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 10:59:50 AM »
It would be far less stressful on your dog to send him to your Mums for the duration - it really isn't easy to keep entire dogs and bitches together in close proximity when a bitch is in season and accidents can happen in even the best run households (especially if you have other family members who may forget to shut doors etc). Obviously you don't want an accident to happen so soon after your girl has had a litter - that would not be fair on her, so the best solution is not to have them in the same house.
Jane

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 05:27:18 PM »
I thought Merlin was endorsed not for breeding?

Offline Cam1

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »
Sending Merlin for a little holiday while Wispa is in season sounds like a good idea for everyone. I don't think sprays will help if they are in the same house together. It is possible to inject a testosterone suppressant I believe but I don't know how quickly this works or costs but it may be worth asking your vet. ( I have heard of someone doing this a trial before neutering to see if it had an affect on behaviour . It didn't of course and the dog remained entire but that's by the by)
I have also heard from very experienced cocker breeders that if a stud dog is told 'no' around a bitch in season too much he may well lose confidence to perform at the right time as he has been told it is wrong.

Offline Cam1

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 12:16:17 PM »
Sorry. Just realised your original post was back in May. Hope you got on okay.