Author Topic: Boudicca Diary  (Read 8635 times)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Boudicca Diary
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »
Well done for making forward steps.

As already been said, make sure you are the one that delivers the good stuff occasionally, not just the horrible baths (which by the way most of them hate no matter what their past is).

It might be worth investing in a soft harness (I love the ones from dog-games) rather than using a leash on her collar.  You dont know if she has been tied up previously and a harness might break that memory.

Just a thought x

Offline ips

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 11:18:07 AM »
Well done for making forward steps.

As already been said, make sure you are the one that delivers the good stuff occasionally, not just the horrible baths (which by the way most of them hate no matter what their past is).

It might be worth investing in a soft harness (I love the ones from dog-games) rather than using a leash on her collar.  You dont know if she has been tied up previously and a harness might break that memory.

Just a thought x

I agree with pat re the harness. I don't think it is possible or even fare to expect this girl to be good on a lead. In fact i wouldn't even put a collar on unless she had one on in the kennels. Well i use the term kennels loosely as this type of factory breeding i find appalling.
Thank goodness fir people like you who give these lades a life 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Groover

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »
honeysmun - sorry to hear your baby is too scared to go out the front door.  :'(

We tried a harness today - exactly the same behavior as with the leash. She just lies down on the floor and refuses to move. Some really great treats encourage her to commando crawl a short way but that is it.

I think the problem with walking and coming to us is still a lack of trust so we are thinking of ditching trying to train her on anything but house training until she trusts us more.

She is now trying to sort out her pecking order in the house. One of our dogs made it clear in the first few days by putting his paw on her back then he figured "job done" and stopped doing it.  :lol2: However she has decided she is above our other dog, much to his chagrin.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2017, 10:23:35 PM »
I think you are wise to stop worrying about lead training just now.  A lot has happened in a short time, and she has a lot to sort out in her head.  Over time I think she will want to go with the gang and one day she will just decide to give it a go. 

Offline villierschris

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2017, 09:35:42 PM »
Rescued Charlie, now Amber in August this year OH is going to update site with our ups and downs but the privilege of taking one of these girls and giving them a home is hard but so worthwhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Groover

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »
Major breakthrough!  :banana:

We didn't do any leash training as previously mentioned. On Saturday we had an idea. The entire pack will go out for a walk together. Boudicca is very attached to my wife so for this to have a chance of working she would need to come along.

All leashes on except for Boudicca who wouldn't come to the front porch and just watched. We all went and stood just outside the front door (note: we have a large, enclosed front garden!). At this point Boudicca felt left behind so she came up to the front door. We put her leash on and closed the inner door so she couldn't get back into the house.

She refused to budge with a hooman on the end of her leash. OK, so the rest of the pack (dogs and us) walk a few steps away from the door. That was enough - she followed. We took her leash and she stopped again. We repeated this a few times until she got the message.  :banana:

We walked two circuits of the front garden and decided that was enough for one day. During the short walk she was continually looking at what the two other dogs were doing - shows the importance of having other dogs in the house for situations like this.

We repeated this the next day. She was quicker to come outside.

On the third day (yesterday) it was just me and one other dog. She really really wanted to come into the front porch on her own but was just too scared. I had to go and get her, pick her up and carry her to the porch. Leash on. She didn't like that, but when I opened the front door we were off! First real walk and she did great! Important to note my wife was not with us, so that is really significant. First time she has really done anything with me.

We went to a nearby park and sat on a bench so she could take it all in. It looked like her head was spinning. There are a couple of stone lions and she had to stop and bark at them.  :luv:

Anyway, she seemed very happy on the walk, sniffing everything she could and continually checking what our other dog was doing. Hopefully rapid progress now on this front.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2017, 01:16:46 PM »
This is lovely to read, well done for your patience, so heartening to hear about these poor damaged souls responding to love and coming back to a life  :dance04:.  Do keep posting, we want to hear her progress  :D

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2017, 04:53:19 PM »
Woo hoo  Away you go girl  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2017, 05:47:20 PM »
Feeling quite choked up reading this, - what a little star you've got there, she's obviously not going to let those demons get the better of her but it must be taking a huge effort on her part. Its incredible that she's making so much progress so quickly, well done to you and your gang! I'm also joining the ranks of Boudicca followers and looking forward tomthe next episode, so do please keep us updated! Lots of  :bigarmhug: to the little lady!  :luv:

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »
Wow thats great news!!  Just a thought back to the harness, could you put one of your other dogs in a harness and attach them together with a leash?  She might accept being taken for a walk by your other dog!

Edited to say that we used to use this method when teaching a foal to walk alongside its mother.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2017, 06:39:39 PM »
Wow thats great news!!  Just a thought back to the harness, could you put one of your other dogs in a harness and attach them together with a leash?  She might accept being taken for a walk by your other dog!

Edited to say that we used to use this method when teaching a foal to walk alongside its mother.

I have done this when I had one steady dog (plodder) and one who would not stop running until it reached the end of the world)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Groover

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2017, 08:36:15 PM »

Yes, I hope to get to that point. Currently whenever Boudicca gets worried (which is quite a bit still) she stops and squats a bit. I think right now the other dog would drag her along. However I do have a 'Y' connector to attach two dogs together because I used to walk my previous cocker and this other dog that way.

Walks are quite slow because she wants to go down every path and driveway of every house! She goes down the path/driveway, gets to the end of the leash, stops, stares at the house, then turns around as if to say "oh! there you are!" then we continue with the walk until the next house!  :lol2:

Many thanks to everyone for the lovely posts. This is a very friendly and positive forum.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2017, 08:51:49 PM »
I think you and your little troupe should be very, very proud of yourselves.  And now Boudicca is going for a walk with you as her only human... amazing.  Her little mind must be in overdrive, so much to see, hear, smell, touch and being a cocker, taste!  This has made my day.  Thank you for the update. xx

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 09:24:12 AM »
 :luv: what a wonderful post. Keep up the good work x
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 01:17:37 PM »
This is such good news. Well done to you and the rest of the pack for care and patience. From our experience with Annie, at least one other dog is key. Being part of the pack is the other thing. Back in the old wolf brain, safety is with the pack. If you are somewhere scary you need your gang with you. You don't want to be left alone. She is clearly wanting to be with the pack and I was pleased to see that she is curious. She hasn't shut down.

Do keep us all informed.

Rodney