Author Topic: How long until I can take puppy out?  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Curlywurly

How long until I can take puppy out?
« on: July 11, 2018, 12:54:07 PM »
My puppy Pippin has her first jabs at 8 weeks and the the 2nd ones last Friday.  The vet then said EE had to wait 3 weeks until we can take her out.  I’ve read online that most other vets say 7-10 days is my vet being over cautious? I don’t want to rush it but it seems like a long time as we’ll of had her nearly 5 weeks by then.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: How long until I can take puppy out?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 01:39:52 PM »
I think 10-14 days is the norm.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: How long until I can take puppy out?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 02:35:21 PM »
My puppy Pippin has her first jabs at 8 weeks and the the 2nd ones last Friday.  The vet then said EE had to wait 3 weeks until we can take her out.  I’ve read online that most other vets say 7-10 days is my vet being over cautious? I don’t want to rush it but it seems like a long time as we’ll of had her nearly 5 weeks by then.

Its the Lepto vaccination that takes so long to buld up immunity.  Provided shes unlikey to come into contact with rodents or where rodents have been then your pup should be ok.  Like all things in life there are risks and your vet is rightly being cautious in sharing these with you. 

My 2nd pup came into a house, initially, with one other dog that has had leptospirosis which clearly is a huge risk.  She was and is fine at 3.5 years old.  The next pup will be introduced into a house with 4 resident cockers and a regular visitor/guest, again, the one that has had Lepto is still here and there is still a risk!

It really depends on how much risk you are willing to take...or play safe.  You know your pup and how adventurous she is, also how likely her exposure to any of the virus’ is

Jayne

Jayne