Author Topic: POOR THOMAS!  (Read 7435 times)

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
Re: POOR THOMAS!
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2007, 10:21:18 PM »
Poor thing ph34r. I don't really see the sense of having a long haired breed if you are then going to shave it's coat off. They aren't that hard to keep looking good, ok it is difficult to keep them cool when it is hot.... which is why we bought ours a portable air conditioner! :shades:

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!

Offline Susie Q

• Site Member
  • My name is Susie and I am temporarily living in St
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2007, 11:09:13 PM »
Thomas -you are a babe -come up and see us some time.

Don't worry about grooming it's great excuse for extra treats . If you want lessons in looking tragic ask Ruby  . Trouble is that our mum has cottoned on and has cut them into smaller pieces .

Michelle- very well done for taking a deep breath and clipping off all his fur . I think that it will grow back thicker and glossier than ever .

Susie, Kiss ,Bling and Ruby .

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2007, 06:51:05 AM »
Poor thing ph34r. I don't really see the sense of having a long haired breed if you are then going to shave it's coat off. They aren't that hard to keep looking good, ok it is difficult to keep them cool when it is hot.... which is why we bought ours a portable air conditioner! :shades:

I am sure that Thomas feels a lot better without his matted, knotted coat.........and after the kind of life he was had up until now, I think he will greatly appreciate his new home, clipped coat or not  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2007, 08:29:08 AM »
Thomas is so lovely, he must feel great with all that hair gone, bet he feels like a puppy again  :luv: :luv:

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2007, 09:08:14 AM »

How do you carry an air conditioning unit on a ten mile hike in the mountains? I know that if you asked mine what they preferred in the summer - long walks or long coats - their reply would be pretty unequivocal.  ;)  Obviously, it's different if you are showing your dog but if you just want a good friend to share in everything, I don't see what's wrong in sacrificing glamour for comfort.  :shades:

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2007, 06:10:01 AM »
Good luck to you and Thomas. What a lovely face he has.  :luv:
I guess I am biased as he is the double of my Barney. Barney is shaved too at the moment. His hair would be really long and thick (like Thomas) and the first couple of times at the groomers triggered of his seizures (he's epileptic) so we had to go for a shave because its faster and less stressful for him.
However we are now approaching 4 months without a seizure which is fantastic so I'm hopeful we can start getting him trimmed properly again.
I hope you have as much enjoyment of Thomas as I have of Barney.

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2007, 07:56:42 PM »

How do you carry an air conditioning unit on a ten mile hike in the mountains? I know that if you asked mine what they preferred in the summer - long walks or long coats - their reply would be pretty unequivocal.  ;)  Obviously, it's different if you are showing your dog but if you just want a good friend to share in everything, I don't see what's wrong in sacrificing glamour for comfort.  :shades:

Well my Newfs wouldn't be doing a ten mile hike up mountains!! We walk them at 5 in the morning if that is when it is cool, we wouldn't dream of taking them out in the heat of a summers day they are a double coated breed and it would kill them. If people want a dog with a Newf temperament but without the coat they could always have a Labrador.

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2007, 08:07:41 PM »
Thomas is a cocker, not a Newfoundland, though - and has been clipped because he was neglected, so hardly a senseless decision in his case  ;)
Oldies Club

Offline michelle p

• Site Member
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2007, 08:16:37 PM »
Hi everyone,

Heres a couple of photos of Thomas, we've had him for a week now and he is  doing really well, proud of him, although he should

realise that he can't catch House Martins by now 

Thanks for all your words of support
Michelle  :lol:

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2007, 08:23:22 PM »
Thomas is absolutely gorgeous, he looks fab with his new 'do' and by the sounds of it you're both just as lucky to have found each other  :luv:

I can't wait to hear of his progress  ;) :D
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2007, 09:54:17 PM »
She looked hysterical (she is a Newfoundland), but it soon grew back I am pleased to say ;)

There is a newfie that walks past my office every night when I leave; he gets shorn twice a year  :o

Thomas is a cocker, not a Newfoundland, though - and has been clipped because he was neglected, so hardly a senseless decision in his case  ;)

Reading this through, I think Shelley was referring to the newfie being clippered, not Thomas. ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2007, 10:03:43 PM »
She looked hysterical (she is a Newfoundland), but it soon grew back I am pleased to say ;)

There is a newfie that walks past my office every night when I leave; he gets shorn twice a year  :o

Reading this through, I think Shelley was referring to the newfie being clippered, not Thomas. ;)

Ah, it makes sense when you put it together like that  ;) 

I met "Ben" the Newfie today - I think he is more than happy with his severe haircut....... ;)
Oldies Club

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2007, 10:10:09 PM »
I'll lock this now as Michelle has started a new thread on the progress Thomas has made.