Author Topic: Pyoderma (sp?) again  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Pyoderma (sp?) again
« on: March 20, 2004, 10:01:10 PM »
Hi

Fletch had pyoderma (a hard crust which is infested) last year and has it again - on the neck area . Once again, I suspect it's his swimming in rivers which has caused it.  I'm bathing it with hibiscrub, but do I need antibiotics again - he got those last time? I'll take him to the vets on Monday for antibiotics, but are they really necessary for this problem?

Hel                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Pyoderma (sp?) again
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 10:48:34 PM »
I would be inclined to try something "alternative" Hel first - I've been having good results with Ekoneem ointment. It smells appalling but seems to work brilliantly on all kinds of skin complaints without any side effects (apart from the pong :wink:) It seems to be quite widely available on the net now - Pet Planet stock it or there's this site: http://www.csjk9.com/products/ekoneem.html                    
Jane

Offline PennyB

Pyoderma (sp?) again
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 11:50:29 PM »
My breeder also recommended Ekoneem as well to me. Vet originally gave be the malaseb stuff to wash the area with but have now got the Ekoneem. And you're right Jane it doesn't half pong!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Pyoderma (sp?) again
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 10:10:39 PM »
This has worked a treat - thanks very much.  I got the equivalent Neem Oil Ointment from Canine Chemists  - their premises are just up the road from me so I was able to go in and buy it.  Brilliant stuff - but I don't think it smells too bad, just like burnt caramel!                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Pyoderma (sp?) again
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 11:04:51 PM »
That's good to hear Hel :) I'll have to get my next pot from Canine Chemists then - their ointment must have a better aroma than Ekoneem :lol:                    
Jane