Author Topic: adopting an old dog?  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Marc

• Site Member
adopting an old dog?
« on: March 23, 2004, 04:07:24 PM »
:?  we already have a 10 month old puppy and were looking for a companion for her as she is very friendly dog and we think should enjoy the company! We have found a 10 year old cocker that needs rehoming but appears to have a few problems, do you think that it would be best to wait a bit and get another puppy or should we take the plunge and go for the old boy??                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
adopting an old dog?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 04:18:51 PM »
Most people will advise that you wait at least another 8 months or so before introducing a new dog.  Your pup will still have a lot of learning to do before he/she reaches maturity and if the older dog that you have found also needs a lot of training you may find it difficult.  Rather than maturing into a well behaved dog, your pup may learn new (not so good :? ) behaviours from the older dog.  It is, however, brilliant that you are willing to take on an older dog as they do find it so difficult to find homes.  I admire you for that  :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Georgie

• Site Member
adopting an old dog?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 07:44:42 PM »
It's up to you, and depends really on what you want and what you thinks suitable for you. I got a puppy, but I think it's great that you are willing to take care of a dog who needs rehoming. I think it's very considerate!                    
From Georgie and Bailey xxx

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
adopting an old dog?
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 10:04:52 PM »
Hi,
We rehomed an 8 year old cocker 4 months ago, and she has been a fantastic addition to the household, but she is the only dog. She is a very gentle girl, and very loving.
Cheers,                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
adopting an old dog?
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 11:16:48 PM »
Hi,
My 8 mth old cocker is actually a rescue cocker. I don't think I would take on another dog until he is at least 18 months old. We already have an older dog too, Millie is almost 4. We would like a third dog but we have decided to wait until next year. Toby is at training classes at the moment and is going through a hyperactive chew-everything stage which is very demanding.
My mum took on two rescue dogs within a month of each other, one is 8 mths and the other is 7 mths, and I have to say, much as she adores them, she is going through hell with them at the moment, they bound around her house playfighting ALL DAY, knocking things flying, they both chew things up and egg each other on all the time. When she just had the first dog he was well-behaved but since introducing the second dog he has started to be very "naughty".
Like Shirley I think it's great you have considered taking on an older dog. But you might be a bit stretched attention-wise if that dog has problems to deal with and your current dog is still only a baby.
Good luck whatever you decide  :)