Author Topic: How often do you bath your dog?  (Read 3174 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
How often do you bath your dog?
« on: April 02, 2004, 03:49:48 PM »
Indie gets so dirty in the park, and his ears in particulr get flithy. I don't mind the mud, I brush most of it off, but he smells really doggy after about a week, so we have been bathing him weekly. We use a mild puppy shampoo, I love him when he's all fluffy and clean, will it do any harm bathing him weekly?

I used to have an allergy to dogs, but seem to have grown out of it, I'm sure the frequent bathing helps too though.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 03:57:40 PM »
bella about to go in the bath normaly every month it depends on how mudy its been how dirty she is , or smelly or if shes rolled in somthing  :oops:  , but i like to give her a good wash every 3 weeks .. she dosent have a dogy smell at all ever ,just smells clean most of the time , unless shes had a swim in the pond  :roll:
washing too much washes the natural oils out they say , i think the guidlines are once a month - 6 weeks ? am i right .
some people dont wash there dogs for months and months , but i think it gives you a good chance to check everythings ok :)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 04:31:15 PM »
As long as you use a mild shampoo, bathing weekly shouldn't do any harm. Many show Cockers are bathed weekly & as long as a good shampoo & conditioner is used, there is no problem. It depends on the breed really - you wouldn't bath a wire-coated breed too often as it can make the coat soft.                    
Jane

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 06:56:42 PM »
Bella and you are lucky, Indie must be really sweaty or maybe it's just a boy pong :wink:

He niffs to high heaven if he's not had a bath for a week.                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 06:58:18 PM »
That's good to know, Jane, thankyou.

I used Rita Rusk's finest tonight, lol, I'd run out of puppy shampoo!
 :oops:                    

Offline devondumpling

• Site Member
    • www.gwbertcockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 08:01:05 PM »
Getting my new pup in about 6 weeks now. :D  But no bath in our house only shower. What am I to do? :?  I like to bath a dog regularly. Is it a case of getting in the shower with new dog? In bathing costume !! lol :oops:  Then while I'm drying her I'll be freezing to death. :cry:
The shower nozzle is fixed so a baby bath at the base of the shower will not work. Any ideas? :?
Chris                    

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 09:02:55 PM »
I have bathed Jazz every week, sometimes more, although i don't always use anything except clean water, and it gets rid of the mud just fine... i am getting a little concenr though, as it seems just a matter of time before she managed to jump in the bath whilst i am in it,,,

she goes nutz jumping up and barking...

Cathy                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 09:08:54 PM »
The shower nozzle is fixed so a baby bath at the base of the shower will not work. Any ideas? :?
Chris

Hmmm trickey one this :?  looks like its going to be a baby bath and buckets of water at the ready, I don't mean pour the buckets of your dog though :wink:  I use a large beaker!  Could be a messy business though :roll:

Edited to add........ Incedently I only bath Indie once a month between trips to the groomers, I personally don't think it does the coat an awful lot of good, as chemicals can strip your dogs coat of oils, in the same way as us I guess :?  I tend to use the doggie rub down wipes too, basically just to freshen up her coat :wink: between baths :)                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 10:37:33 PM »
ohh i only shower bell we dont have a bath we took it out to put a shower , after 6 months everyones fed up we have bought a new bath to go back  :lol:
i take the thingi down i supose you could keep filling jugs up? with the warm water coming out .
bella hated water never mind a bath before we even put her in .. i fist bathed her in the sink , with the tinest bit of water in , i know she had a bath before we got her mabe she got scared there . now she hates a bath getting better just shivers then runs about mental soo happy after having one  :lol:                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004, 08:54:03 AM »
I shower Brogan about every 7 - 10 days during this wet weather using shampoo and conditioner - the disadvantages of a dog with so much white underneath.  (Still has very little roan - only across the top of his back).

After every wet walk at the local field though I also have to quarter fill a baby bath with plain water to rinse his legs and tummy down.  A rub down alone is not enough.  The featherings on his front legs are thick and very soft.  Roll on the drier weather!! Our beach walks are no where near as messy.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2004, 09:56:03 AM »
Hi Shona

Honey gets her paws dipped in a bowl of warm water when she's been for a muddy walk, but like you, I like to give her a bath every 7 to 10 days.  She's getting used to it too - will only try and 'kill' the towel by biting rather than also growling at it/me :lol:

What shampoo does everyone use/recommend?                    
All the best
Phil

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2004, 10:19:08 AM »
Shona

I use the concentrated one from Diamond Edge Ltd.  You dilute it one part shampoo with 10 parts water - very economical  :D  I have recently purchased there own brand of conditioner but haven't tried it yet - tomorrow will be bath day - will give it a go then.   I also use the Groomers spray in between shampoos if his coat starts to look like it needs something.  Please advice if this is too much anyone.                    
Laura x

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2004, 11:01:15 AM »
yup i think we are lucky most of the time she smells like perfum /aftershave .threw cuddling up to who evers up and about  :lol:  , but i think shes too much of a girly to be jumping in mud . shes a bit like a cat see water on the floor shed rather jump over it .bar the pond  :?  so fortunatly shes hardly ever muddy . infact she has the run of the garden but prefers to stay in  :shock: . think its got to do with having someone there with her ,she goes mental when im in the garden ,  it may be a different thing when puppy number 2 comes and shes got someone to play with  :lol:
It is nice having a odorless cocker ,ive met quite a few dogs that you touch and the smell stays on your hand  . mabe it is a male thing ,  :lol: a
I used to use tee tree shampoo on my last cocker that sorts out the smell plus it has quite good properties in it . while still being mild , theres a shampoo made by austrialian tee tree ,and aparently you can use it on dogs too ,                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 02:49:22 PM »
A clean dog - I can only wish :(   Brogan loves the wet weather with a passion.  It must intesify the smells or something - his nose goes on overdrive.  Haven't had the fox poo experience yet though so count myself lucky!!  I think all the cleaning up I have to do though may have turned him away from water :roll:  How glad am i - there is a swampy pond only 100m from our house!! :twisted:

Did think about a black dog for the next one but sadly they do get as dirty - still would leave a mud trail!!  Maybe a lap dog?  No, must love the mess really :D                    
Laura x

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2004, 08:33:10 PM »
Lottie is showered on average once a month, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the weather.  We have just replaced our carpet with wood flooring though and I don't think she's overly impressed.  She just loved wiping herself on the carpet whilst going crazy :roll:                    
Mary & Lottie x