Author Topic: Milk, Cheese , yogart etc  (Read 934 times)

Offline caroljay

• Site Member
Milk, Cheese , yogart etc
« on: April 02, 2004, 04:01:29 PM »
:?

Hi guys

Sorry to bother you again but , I feed Coco - cheese / wheetabix & milk and yogart and sometimes just milk . :oops:

Is this bad for them - I can only drink goats milk myself .
 :twisted:

Can someone just let me know a list of things I shouldn't give Coco.

And please help - so far Coco has demolished 8 pairs of my shoes - not my partners just mine . He has cleverly worked out how to open wardrobes and doors . But this has only been a recent thing say the last 2 weeks .

regards

CJ & Coco :wink:                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 04:27:56 PM »
Coco doesn't need milk but as long as he can tolerate it, a little won't do any harm. Cheese is ok & live yoghurt is excellent (but not the sweetened types). Weetabix again isn't necessary but some owners like to feed it - the fibre can help with anal gland problems.

Sorry can't help with the shoes - you probably need to put them somewhere he cannot reach (eg in a box on top of the wardrobe :lol: ) & maybe consider ways to keep him occupied when he's left alone - a bored, lonely dog will often resort to destructive behaviour. Have you tried leaving Coco stuffed Kongs or a big, juicy marrow bone perhaps?                    
Jane

scoobie

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 06:34:04 PM »
Hi Cj and coco
live yoghurt is excellent as I give a few spoonfuls now and again to my dog. It is a probiotic which helps to balance the good/bad bacteria I give small amount of cheese as a real treat because it is fattening personally I wouldn't give milk or weetabix but like jane said if your dog can tolerate those foods that's ok. I am no expert when it comes to feeding I have found through trial and error what is best for my dog so I can't tell you what is bad and what is good. I feed raw purely because of re-occuring ear infections which wasn't helped by wheat and rice and  preservatives etc found in commercial dog food
How old is coco and what else do you feed him?
bye for now
Edith and scoobie                    

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 08:59:03 PM »
I used to feed Jazz Weetabix, but weaned her off that ASAP, and shes now BURNS Puppy food, which she adores, its less messing about and she loves it...

I have a hint for shoes,

If they have a heal i put mine on top of the door and rest them over the top with the heel...

I learnt my lesson as i brought a brand new pair of shoes which cost £50.00 with a little bow on top,
well... I couldn't put them on the table as i hadn't worn them.. so I put it on the sofa, jazz nicked one and ripped half the leather tie off... so much for being superstitious...

Alan managed to stanley knife all the sides of the bows off, so now they look like they have a small square button on them.

Cathy                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 11:15:28 PM »
Hi,
Milk is not a natural food for a dog and should be reserved for the weaning of puppies and the early feeding of weaned stock. If taken in excess it will form mucus deposits (mix in alittle honey to avoid this). Buttermilk however is an excellent food . It is an acquired taste in dogs and they should be given it from early puppyhood. It has worm removing properties.
Cheese. Fresh white cheese or cottage cheese is a good food, but solid yellow cheese is indigestible and if used it should be finely grated.Yoghurt is also a good food, use the unsweetened natural type.
Hope this helps,
Karen                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.