Author Topic: has your dog any learned behaviours that were unintentionally taught?  (Read 5095 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Jarv does  ::)

It all started when I dog sat a Great Dane and walked into the living room to see 1 year old spaniel and Great Dane in hot pursuit of a half dead but very angry and very enormous hornet.

Yes, I was petrified one or t'other dog was about to be stung and yes, the V.O.D was employed....but little did I know what lasting effect that would have on the small brown dog  :-\

Today I had a dog jump into my lap trembling, cos in the room was an evil buzzing.........

bluebottle fly
  :o

Sorry Jarv for making you scared of buzzy flying fings :'(

My friend's Sprollie has one too - when he was young he was so so so bouncy and she taught him to sit while on the lead before greeting another dog in an attempt to have a less boisterous greeting....so now at 4 years old you see him tearing up to other dogs and doing a perfect 'sit' in front of them as his form of greeting  :luv: :luv:  The other dogs look completely perplexed at this behaviour :rofl1:

anyone else unwittingly 'taught' their dogs anything?

helen & jarvis x

Offline mcphee

Jarv ma man, Ruf ere. Uze lucki man, ma wuman sez a cant lern nuffin intenchunly or uvawize. Dem buzzi fings not nice man! luv Ruf.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Aww Jarv :luv: :005: 

I can't think of anything that I taught mine in that way, they do plenty of things which I encouraged them to do which I probably shouldn't have ph34r  such as Tilly barking every time she hears the word 'cat' and Rodaidh's leaping up into my arms which he now does as a habit if he thinks I'm not paying enough attention to him ::)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
I tought Harvey 'wave' ages ago.

It's become his first trick of choice if he's after something. However, I got him waving at the sofa when I put one of his broken toys on it and OH caught him 'waving' at the back door when both of us forget to let him back in from the garden.  ph34r

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Whining apparently >:(  According the the trainer, it was me saying "Kali..be quiet, Kali shut up, Kali for the love of Pete, Kali put a sock in it, Kali eeeeenough, Kali will you just stop the screeching" that actually caused her to do it even more.  Seeing as the trainer said it was the worst case of attention seeking she had ever witnessed, I not only taught her unintentionally but made a great job of it too ph34r ph34r ph34r 
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
hmmm...not sure...but when we're doing loose lead training, as soon as Chloe starts to pull, and I stop dead, she just sits, which is all very well, but then she starts pulling again as soon as we set off  >:D (well, not all the time, we are seeing some improvements  :shades:)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
hmmm...not sure...but when we're doing loose lead training, as soon as Chloe starts to pull, and I stop dead, she just sits, which is all very well, but then she starts pulling again as soon as we set off  >:D (well, not all the time, we are seeing some improvements  :shades:)

Hey we must both have gone on the same course for teaching that one!  :D That's one of Harvey's well performed tricks  ::)

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Jack will change direction or at a fork in a path turn the right way from me tilting my head.
Its not deliberate so I must of been subconsiously tilting my head in whatever direction we were going when he was a pup.

It was my OH that noticed it one day.

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)

Hey we must both have gone on the same course for teaching that one!  :D That's one of Harvey's well performed tricks  ::)

Poppy does that too, over and over and over and over and over....etc. :005:
Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Offline Steelygirl

• Site Member

Poppy does that too, over and over and over and over and over....etc. :005:

And Fred too, although he's much better than he was - finally feel like we're getting there.

The other one he does is steal things he knows i need (important paperwork, notes of cash etc) run off knowing, looking back of me, i'll call him back and swap him the important item for a treat (he doesn't give back unless there's something in it for him....) and then he'll spend the next 10 minutes trying to steal it back again.. little  >:D

Offline smartietopdog

Re: has your dog any learned behaviours that were unintentionally taught?
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 07:35:26 AM »
If you say "whos coming" Smartie goes mad, tearing round the house looking for someone! She jumped over the gate last week, that will teach me to say it in the garden!!
Where's your pigs ear, the first thing she learnt!  You need a bath - cue dog jumping in bath!! Down the bottom - dog to bottom of bed!
All of these things she's just learnt herself, never an intentional thing!!

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 07:43:45 AM »
Misha has a really good "wait" , which was taught intentionally.  Each time you say wait she will lie down.  However my over use of the word has had its drawbacks especially when we're running around an agility course.  As she is a speedy little madam, she frequently gets ahead of me to which I will shout "wait" and then Misha lies down - which is not quite what you want running around the course.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 10:03:09 AM »
I was treaching Ben 'stand' with a clicker, but must have got the timing wrong and clicked while he was moving backwards :005:
Now when I say stand, he stands up and walks back about 5 steps :luv: before doing a perfect stand ;)

Offline silly milly

• Donator
  • silly milly
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 10:22:54 AM »
milly has a favourite toy - a squeaky chicken, which we call funky chicken.    whenever we say "where`s your funky chicken?", she runs back to where she last saw it and picks it up - if its still there!

rocky will look at the front door if we say "where is mummy and daddy?"

bianca can see when we pick up her eye drops and immediately goes into the hall and lies down for us to put them in!

but..........................try and get any of them to lie down on command................ >:D >:D >:D
with lots of love from silly milly and her mum!!!!

Offline Sue67

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 10:11:21 AM »
I discovered one yesterday, we went to the vets and Indy went in to the treatment room and sat down on the scales straight away without being asked!

Even the vet was impressed - but not with her weight, she's turned in to a bit of a porker!