Author Topic: Cost of a cocker puppy  (Read 4731 times)

Offline mark1

Re: Cost of a cocker puppy
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »
My first dog when I was 17 was a Jack Russell that cost me £4. As I write this I have £1000 worth of Cockers curled up next to me no wonder dog theft is on the increase. Nobody would have stole my grumpy four quid JR, well not with all their fingers intact anyway.  :005:

Offline mooching

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2010, 08:25:37 PM »
I honestly don't think that a responsible, honest, reputable breeder looks into 'profit margins'  :dunno: 
I don't see why not, it would be quite reasonable to do so. It applies to every other area of business. My husband is self-employed, and you *have* to consider profit margins, it's what businesses do. I am not criticising breeders who charge more - if they can get the price, good for them!  Just because it involves live "goods", doesn't mean that a business wouldn't have the same considerations as one, say, selling cars, sheds, furniture, etc.
It is also sometimes which area of the country the puppies are, that can have a price difference.  Ime the cost of the puppy is often 'guided' by the breed club.  If i had never bred a litter i would think £800 is extortiante, but knowing what i know now, it really isn't.
I don't think it's extortionate, I just think it's more than I need to pay for a well-bred puppy from a reputable breeder. So far I've checked with three reputable breeders, the sort where you reserve a pup before it's born, that have both the sire and dam, that don't advertise, all within the same area of the country - the prices quoted were £600, £650 and £800.

Offline Lucianne

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2010, 10:12:37 PM »
Bella was £700 from a professional kennel (ie they make their living from breeding) and they have around 25 dogs. I went there and met Bella's dam, grand-dam and g.g.dam, her sire, g-sire and g.g.sire. All wonderful temperaments (which was the most important factor for me), gorgeous as well, and scored for PRA, HD and FN. I was really impressed with the dogs' accommodation, and how much they clearly love their dogs. £700 seemed a fair price, and she has been worth every penny and more!  :luv:

Mod edit: commercial breeders' names removed

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2010, 10:42:30 PM »
I honestly don't think that a responsible, honest, reputable breeder looks into 'profit margins'  :dunno:
I don't see why not, it would be quite reasonable to do so. It applies to every other area of business. My husband is self-employed, and you *have* to consider profit margins, it's what businesses do. I am not criticising breeders who charge more - if they can get the price, good for them!  Just because it involves live "goods", doesn't mean that a business wouldn't have the same considerations as one, say, selling cars, sheds, furniture, etc.

The difference is that most reputable breeders do not run businesses - their dogs are their hobby and they do not breed to make a profit. Yes of course there are plenty of BYBs and commercial breeders who do breed for the money but that's not the sort of breeder Ninasmum was talking about (or the sort of breeder we would recommend on COL)

To be honest, I think this thread has run it's course now so I'll close it. I think we've established that puppy prices vary from breeder to breeder (as they have always done) and hopefully this thread will give anyone reading a rough idea of the average price you can expect to pay for a puppy bred by reputable breeders from health tested parents.

Jane