Author Topic: Does your Cocker moult??  (Read 7690 times)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Does your Cocker moult??
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:05:06 AM »
After reading the Cockerpoo thread about moulting and non moulting dogs, it reminded me of something I was going to ask. Do your Cockers Moult?, Belle doesn't appear to, the only time I get covered in fur is when she has a good grooning/strip, when she is brushed daily there is only a small amount of fur in the brush. When I went to my Mums the other day I was petting her Lab (black) and was amazed by how much fur came out as I was stroking her, I know my Mum brushes her daily but she is always complaining about the amount of hair she sheds. Belles coat is completely differents to Cher's my Mums Lab, we have cream throws on the settee where you will usually find Belle and there is never any hair on them. Is this usual in Cockers ?
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Bounty

• Poppy, Maggie and Hamish all at rainbow bridge
Re: Does your Cocker moult??
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:08:03 AM »
hamish does not moult at all. Maybe we are lucky with this breed. Saying that his fur is quite short.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Hamish - My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet.

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 11:43:55 AM »
Maddi (black show type) doesn't seem to moult at all.  :luv:

Murphy (white/black ticked worker) moults like a demon - white hair everywhere, I'm amazed he's not bald  :lol2:
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline suemg

• Milo and Boo
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 11:46:58 AM »
Milo is 8 months old now and losing alot of hair, I swear I could make a little dog out of what I sweep up daily!
Sue.....lucky owner of Milo and Boo

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 11:49:39 AM »
Roxy moults like mad! all the time! and she doesn't even have a full show type coat as she is part worker! Everything in our house is always covered in white fur. When I take clean socks out of the washer they are covered in clean white hairs!!!!

Offline theshrew

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 11:56:56 AM »
I would say that cockers moult but only a little bit. Not sure id even call it moulting as it seems to be more constant than loosing a lot all at once.  

My Grandads Golden Retriever - that moulted like mad, stroke him your hand would be covered in hair.

Parents Yorkie and Poodles - Never seem to loose any

Missy certainly looses hair more so in the hotter months when i brush her. The floor in our house with it being laminate this also needs cleaning more in summer time.

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:58:47 AM »
Bonnie is not too bad ,at least you would think so because you cant see big clumps of fur anywhere. The vacuum tells the full story though as there is always loads in it. Lucy Puddy cat is the worst though.
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 12:41:33 PM »
Rodaidh and Caoimhe despite being working Cockers and having fine, silky coats both shed like it's going out of fashion. They don't have big twice yearly moults like my old GSD did but they lose hair pretty much constantly; Ro's the worst for it, there are fine gold hairs all over the house no matter how often I hoover ::) Tilly doesn't shed but her body coat has that post spay/post clipping cotton wool texture.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 07:53:33 PM »
Ive found generally with dogs that the light furred or short hair dogs are worse. Or at least seem to be.

My friend has 3 dalmations and they moult so much. She hoovered out her car the other day and despite my 2 being in there once of twice a day all she found was short white dalmation hair  :D

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 08:59:46 PM »
When I pat Dougie and Tia, I don't see any hair falling out, but sweeping up tells a different story - plus, there are always hairs in the fridge/oven/bed, etc! :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 09:04:49 PM »
Eric just leaves really long white hairs every now and again but nothing major. Lucy seems to moult a little bit more or maybe they are just more noticeable because they are ginger  :huh: Although I don't think they moult too bad the kitchen floor and under the sideboard seem to tell a slightly different story  ph34r I thought that I had found a stray dog under the sideboard one day  :005:  ph34r I don't think they moult half as bad as my Mum's black lab and my mate's yellow lab is the worst for moulting  ::)

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 09:14:58 PM »
Meg doesnt shed at all, but like Nicola's Tilly she is spayed and clipped. We were quite shocked when Alfie came and our clothes were covered in white hairs :shades: but he doesnt seem quite as bad now :dunno: i am combing/brushing him daily but hardly anything comes out. The kitchen and hall floors are covered though if you look carefully and they are swept and mopped every day! My next door neighbour has a yellow lab and golden retriever and she says they are a total nightmare for moulting, we are always hearing the hoover :005: xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 09:35:32 PM »
My 2 solids shed very little  :blink: but my roans do lose a fair bit  :-\  but nowhere as much a my golden retrievers they are really bad. I hoover at least twice a day due to their moulting  :-\

Offline BabyB

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 09:47:24 PM »
OMG, yes.  Well our two orange roans do. I'm known as the dog lady at work, as everything I wear has dog fur on it  :005:
Dylan and Morgan  :angel: who are blue roan, don't seem to shed so much, but I think that's more to do with not noticing the colour I think.
Plus we have wooden floors in our house, so you get a gathering of tumble weed (even when hoovered and wiped daily). With carpets it's not as noticable.
And they all get brushed daily.
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline mooching

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 12:48:25 PM »
Ive found generally with dogs that the light furred or short hair dogs are worse. Or at least seem to be.

It's definitely that way with CKCs - my black and tan hardly moults at all, whereas when we had a tricolour, his white fur moulted all over the show with a light covering everywhere. I am wondering if the lighter colours of fur are drier and therefore more prone to shedding.