Author Topic: should I get a second cocker? UPDATE- 4th June - baby cocker coming home!!!!!!!!  (Read 4604 times)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: should I get a second cocker?
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 12:39:19 PM »
I'm a firm believer in things coming up for a reason  ;)

There are extra costs with insurance and food to consider, the likelyhood of a vets visit doubles... They may not always get on and your existing dog might not want to share you and his house training may go backwards too if you say these pups aren't house trained...  OTH they could be firm friends and having two dogs running together out on walks is lovely

You will need to do seperate walks for training purposes from time to time and may find you have to be less complacent about allowing one dog to pull as two is a pain in the  ****

2 here was a breeze, the third OK, 4 hard work and I now usually walk in 2 goes unless I have someone with me

You sound like you've got the flexibility to work this through so if it feels right, go for it...

Good luck and photos a must  :D

Any reason why wait till July, that seems a long time and maybe he could go back to the groomer whilst you're on hols or go with Henry... Dogs are very adaptable and I'd want to start settling him in now rather than let him get established in his foster home and then up-root him again  :-\

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline VickyG

• Holly & Henry - Double trouble!!
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 12:51:04 PM »
think your getting me mixed up with someone else Jaspers mum  ;) we don't have a holiday planned for this year and if we get new pup it will be within the next week or two as at the moment my groomer is looking after both of the young pups, so we would get him straight from her  ;)
cocker spaniels make everything ok

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 01:17:12 PM »
think your getting me mixed up with someone else Jaspers mum  ;) we don't have a holiday planned for this year and if we get new pup it will be within the next week or two as at the moment my groomer is looking after both of the young pups, so we would get him straight from her  ;)

Whoops, that'll teach me for reading and then going back to post after my brain shuts down  :005:  Too many people looking to get additional family members to keep up with   :shades:  Off to lie down in darkened room (that's what 4 dogs does to you)

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 01:18:51 PM »
When you pick up 'Golden Boy' could you pop 'Orange boy' in the post for me please??  :luv:
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline VickyG

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 06:00:01 PM »
^^ you know I do think that one of them will still be going 'spare' and we do have our eye on the golden boy  ;)

well we are now off to visit pupsters on Saturday, OH me and Henry so lets just see how we all get on  :banana:
It's quite exciting but my head will rule..
my head will rule..
my head will rule..
my head will rule..  ;) :luv:

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2010, 12:15:49 PM »
Another "Go for it" from me!

Purdey was under a year old when we rescued Alfie, and while a lot of their bad behaviour has rubbed off on each other (Purdey taught Alfie to chew toys up, he taught her to bark!!) they have also taught each other loads of good stuff - Purdey had been a nightmare to toilet-train, but was cured when Alfie showed her how, and she taught him how to play ball etc.

The wonderful Fionna at Lizzies Barn where we got Alfie actually suggested crating them together from the start, and I have to say its been brilliant. Alfie is quite a growly grumpy thing but because they share a crate, he will snuggle up to Purdey and use her as a pillow, and Im sure it helped them form a strong bond really quickly - so just a different point of view on the crate situation for you!

Good luck with whatever you decide.  :luv:

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline smartietopdog

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2010, 08:52:19 AM »
How did the visit go yesterday?

Offline ginnygirl

• Bella
    • http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt207/ginnygirl_album/adc60ac1.jpg
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2010, 10:03:46 AM »
waiting with bated breath :005:
Julie

Offline VickyG

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2010, 02:48:16 PM »
^^ were also waiting with bated breath   :-\ we couldn't go on Saturday because the lady who is looking after them, her mother has been taken ill so the last thing on her mind was the pupsters and us  :embarassed: poor girl.
So we are now due to go to visit them on Sunday.  I think actually it's a good thing that it's taking a while because it gives us more time to decide (which we think we have and if we all get on it will be a yes)  :D

so watch this space another 6 days till D day (dog day  :005:)

Offline VickyG

Re: should I get a second cocker? UPDATE :-) 30 APRIL
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 11:17:15 AM »
Sorry for reviving this thread, but we didn't manage to get to see the pupsters due to health issues with the lady looking after them. BUT we are now going to finally meet them on Sunday at 11am!!! Can't wait, we are taking Henry, and if we all get on and if it all seems ok then we will be taking one of the boys  :luv:

Any advice as to how to introduce Henry to the boys?  We will be meeting the lady in her dog grooming shop, but think we will be able to take them all for a walk, the only thing is that her shop is in the middle of a town so they won't be able to be off lead and I really want them to get a good run around.  There is a park within 5 mins driving, do you think we should ask her if we can take them all there?

Also what's the best way to bring the new pupster into our home?  We will be trading in Henry's one big crate for two smaller ones (Henry stays in his crate at bedtime)

Any other advice?  What do I need to look for in the pupsters?  Any questions I should be asking?  They are both full pedigree doglets but being so young -6 months - they spent most of their life in a ultitlity room when with their old hooman parents (who then seperated - why would you take on two new pups if your marriage was on the rocks is madness to me  >:D)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 12:23:50 PM »
They are both full pedigree doglets but being so young -6 months - they spent most of their life in a ultitlity room when with their old hooman parents (who then seperated - why would you take on two new pups if your marriage was on the rocks is madness to me  >:D)

Just wanted to say good luck, hope all goes well

Jasper was 9 months when he came to us and he'd spent a good bit of his time in a tiny kitchen with little exercise.  He was a chewer and manic but soon settled down with attention and something to keep his mind entertained..

I didn't know about crates then or would certainly have used one and saved replastering some of my walls too

Regarding why people get a puppy, who knows but "there's nowt to strange as folk"  ::)

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 12:57:24 PM »
Aw good luck!

You're right the IDEAL way for them to meet would be on a walk and casually where you can hurry them along and there is no big deal but they get used to each other and then don't mind being in a smaller space together after the walk.

HOWEVER, if this isn't possible you might find it encouraging to know that when I introduced Dave (he was 4 months old) to Normy (who was 2yrs) it was at Normy's house and Dave marched straight into their kitchen, hopped into Normy's bed and started chewing on her bone... Normy looked at him in surprise then huffed, walked off and looked out of the window and I've NEVER had anything approaching a problem with them - they've lived together brilliantly from day 1. Although I think he loves her a little more than she loves him but she's just the right nature to tolerate pretty much anything like that :005:

I wouldn't advocate that but with such young pupsters you may be ok if they have to meet in less than an ideal situation.

Good luck!

Let us know how it goes and PHOTO'S PLEASE!!!!

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline VickyG

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 01:24:55 PM »
will do my camera is on charge all ready  :005:

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 03:17:12 PM »
when i introduced ella to my two there was alot of snarling for one whole  day, she just wanted to be friends but they were huffy and growled every time she went near but it didnt last and within a couple of days they were lying on each other  :005:, good luck i hope it all goes well on sun
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline VickyG

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 03:36:53 PM »
just got a quick question :D I'm doing a bit of online shopping for the new pupster and am having a bit of a crate dilema  :huh:
At the moment Henry has a medium sized crate 30' that is in our lounge, he only goes in here at bedtime and if we are ever out for a few hours (which isn't too often and then not for longer than 4 hours max).  He is quite a nice chunky well built little chap but he still looks tiny in his crate. 

Obviously with the planned arrival of pupster number 2 ( :banana:  :cool4: (we are getting a little bit excited now) I want a second crate so they each have their own den.  Space is limited and I was looking at 2 small crates 24' wide x 20' high x 18' wide, that will fit in the same space Henry's big crate is now.

Do you think they will each be ok in a small 24' crate?  As said they would be in it at bedtime and on the odd occasion we are out