Author Topic: Working Cocker - In need of reassurance!  (Read 957 times)

Offline ginag

• Koko xx
Working Cocker - In need of reassurance!
« on: January 09, 2011, 10:15:40 PM »
Hello to everyone, what a great website! Full of really useful information. Here is how the story goes.... About 6 months ago I replied to an ad on a website and went to see a litter or working cockers on a farm in Essex, I fell in love with one and went back to get her. Admittedly without having done any proper homework on the breed and and under complete ignorance! She's now 8 months old, we have had a few very expensive chewing incidents but otherwise no problems. After having read a thread about working cockers as pet I begun to wonder if I am offering  my lovely girl what she needs....  :huh:

This is an example of a normal week for her, Monday I take her to work with me (I am a nanny), Tuesday she gets about a couple of hours in the park plus a little walk in the evening, wed and thurs she goes into doggy day care and is out most of the day with other dogs, Friday the same as Tuesday, on the weekends we go to local country parks and woods for a really good run and she does spend most of the time with us.

In addition, I have a dog flap leading to a reasonably  sized garden, she is on JWB food, kongs and other toys, I do hide stuff around the house and the woods for her to find and we have attended to doggy classes.

She seems very happy with us and is quite settled around the house, loves to get under my duvet in the morning and we love her to bits! :luv:

Now.... is it enough? Could she be miserable?

Any help or tips will be more than welcome. Thanks

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: In need of reassurance!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 10:17:41 PM »
Hi and welcome  :D

sounds like she's getting enough exercise - what training and mental stimulation does she get?
helen & jarvis x

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:20:40 PM »
Now.... is it enough? Could she be miserable?

I think if she was miserable you'd know about it. Cockers have a way of letting you know when they're not happy  :D

Offline dogsgalore

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:20:50 PM »
Sounds like a very lucky girlie with lots going on.  Cockers do love mental stimulation - my Skye absolutely loves clicker training - about 15 minutes a day, and I take it with me on walks to train walking to heel.  Welcome to COl, by the way!
Kath, Skye plus Jock and Millie

[img]

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:29:24 PM »
Oh what a busy wee pup!!  Welcome to COL and I am sure someone more experienced than me will be along soon to answer your questions, but imo if she was bored or unhappy you would def know about it!
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Pip895

Re: Working Cocker - In need of reassurance!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:31:15 AM »
Please be reassured - sounds pretty ideal, KoKo is a lucky girl. 

They do tend to let you know if they need something  or are board  :005:- I was suffering from a nasty cold/bug thing a while back + it was pouring with rain so on one occasion Saffi (my 15month old worker) only got a little ball play in the garden and no walk - she showed her dis-apreciation by playing playing bounce and tug with the sofa and then when I curtailed that chewing through my network cable  >:(.   :005:

Seriously though a 20min training session does wonders on such occasions!  Enjoy her :D

Offline Liz Finchett

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 09:41:51 AM »
Sounds like she is getting plenty of physical exercise but what about some mental exercises try teaching her some tricks I find I cant tire Kera out with physical exercises a 5 min break and she is raring to go again but if she has been doing something that uses her brain she is much more likely to go and sleep afterwards

Liz

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 09:59:06 AM »
Sounds like shes got plenty going on.   :lol2:

If she wasnt stimulated enough Im sure you'd be seeing some undisrable behaviours such as chewing or attention seeking behaviours. However these may appear as you go through the teenage months. Its a good sign that she is settling whilest at home.

She would prob benefit from some additional training. Have you thought about looking at a doggy hobby? (flyball, agility, gun dog training, Rally O ect). She cant take part  in agility or flyball till shes 12 months but it might be worth thinking about it now as its best to secure her a place early and take her down to watch a few times beforehand.

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 12:43:46 PM »
I'd quit worrying if I were you. You'd know all about it if your lass was unhappy or under-stimulated.  As the proud owner of a working cocker, I'd say there is no more positive force for change than a bored worker.  And they are quite unscrupulous about achieving their objectives.  :shades: 

Offline Henshallboys

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 12:55:32 PM »

We have two working cocker brothers from the same litter......and they are pets but do get as much exercise as possible.  As everyone else has said you would know if she was miserable.........enjoy her and welcome to COL  :luv:
Carole & Alan....Bramble, Beri & Holly

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 01:03:40 PM »
She sounds happy to me....and lucky you are worrying you are giving her enough......what more kindness could she ask for? ;)

Offline ginag

• Koko xx
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »
I just want to say a big thank you to everyone for the welcome and kind messages.  :D

In addition to her daily routine we also do a couple of short training sessions (she does get really bored after 5-10 minutes) every evening to keep her mind stimulated, will have a go with the clicker this weekend.