Author Topic: Trust your dog  (Read 1305 times)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
Trust your dog
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:11:48 PM »
A friend would look after my dogs when we travelled , she is a dog lover with a large maremma lovely dog. She looked after them about 3 times in total few days at a time, one day she said something regarding training  what are my words so she could show to her friends how well trained they are, I thought no, also she is glued to the Cesar Milan show but alarms had gone off .When another friend looked after them and called me to say how lovely they were while looking after them, they are an elderly couple who love dogs. I go to pottery classes run by her, she kept saying when you come next week bring the dogs, so today I did I've only occasionally seen Indi pleased to see someone else she is quite reserved, she jumped all over the husband and went with tail going  for a cuddle with her. When I left the class when then met the first friend, Indi totally ignored her and Kody just wanted to see the the dog. I then found out the 1st friend used to yell at Indi and didn't like  her. I love my girl she has got character, bit naughty at times but sweet, I'm horrified to think that she yelled at my girl am I being over sensitive, I've no intention of letting them stay withher again, but all I can say is trust your dogs they can tell who's good and bad.
Sorry for long winded post a bit annoyed
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: Trust your dog
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:39:09 PM »
I wouldn't let them stay again either >:( dogs aren't stupid they know who likes them and who doesn't :luv: maybe she has been watching too much cesar milan??? (I think he is a bully) x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:42:33 PM »
I agree trust your dogs, although they cannot speak ...They do, trust what they are saying.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline black taz

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 08:11:26 PM »
totally agree. 

When we were looking for a builder to do our extension, the dogs actually finished up choosing which ones we went with.  The first one that came, Taz just stood and barked at him the whole time he was there, the second Taz backed off from and the third we eventually went with, as soon as he walked him Taz was wagging his tail and going to him for fuss.  We never regretted our decision and they were fab with the dogs, so much so that on occasions we left them in the house with the builders instead of taking them elsewhere when we had to go to work (with the builders blessing of course!).

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 08:32:36 PM »
Thanks for replys, feel better now, I know I'm a dog (cocker )nut but something wasn't feeling right my elderly friends are calling themselves the stand in grandparents. She was laughing so hard at some of the antics last time she was crying she loves opera music and they were joining in I've  never heard them but apparently they do. I feel a little annoyed with myself, for leaving them with Ms A.
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:34:26 PM »
You can certainly trust your dogs to guide you by their reactions to people  :shades:
I wouldn't let Indi & Kody stay with her again either  >:( 

Many years ago (in fact our last holiday without the dogs) we had a veterinary nurse stay at our home to look after our dogs while we went away.  She came recommended by another cocker owner.  When she popped round after our return to give us the spare keys, i could tell by Jo Jo's reaction with ignoring her that something wasn't right.  :-\  Our neighbours informed us she had left them on their own for 8 hours  :o  The agreement was 4 hrs. maximum.  :shades:  It also made me worry if other 'stuff' had happened.  :-\  Needless to say we never asked her again.  >:(

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline DarceyTheDog

• Shutterbugs of shadwell
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:43:26 PM »
Darcey goes mad at some people and from her I know if they are good ppl or not. Once when she was off lead she went running up to our neighbours son barking and going mad I ran up and grabbed her but he shouted at me saying get that dog on a lead or I'll kick her. I was stunned! Just picked her up and went inside! I was really upset and now if theyre there I won't take her out.
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 09:50:58 PM »
I too always trust my dogs' instincts when it comes to people.
My oldest son often brings friends round who I would not normally want in the house (they look unkempt and dirty to me, but I am getting old!!!) However, they all adore the dogs and the dogs adore them!! He brought one friend round who the dogs seriously hated and barked at every time he looked at them.  I didn't like him, but didn't stop him coming round as like to make an effort with the kids' friends.  It wasn't long before he showed his true colours and stole from my son  :o  The dogs knew better than we did.

A dog I once had many years ago reacted very strangely to our then next door neighbour.  He was a really, really nice guy - would do anything for anyone and was very quiet and unassuming.  A real animal lover.  Sally (my dog at the time) was always very uncomfortable round him and didn't like him touching her which was extremely unusual.  I found it very strange and it used to upset me (and my neighbour as he adored her!!!)  Then, several years later, we found out that he had a fairly serious mental illness and with hindsight I wonder if Sally was picking up on that and it made her uncomfortable as she somehow knew he wasn't stable?
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 10:11:41 PM »
Well I'm afraid I don't trust mine to judge character  :005:. Since we've had her, Maisie has consistently and uncontrollably barked at an elderly and very dear friend of mine, every single time she sees her. And nothing I do or say has yet been able to stop her doing it.

This dear friend loves Maisie to bits, is an ex cocker and cavi owner and the gentlest, kindest person I know.  I am more cross at Maisie over it than I can admit  >:( and it only goes to reinforce my belief that as much as I love cockers they can sometimes be a bit, well....... neurotic  :lol2:

Offline Darwin

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 10:23:56 PM »
It doesn't matter if it's dog care or child care.
I think it's a lesson many of us have learn the hard way.
It's best to keep arrangement for both dog and child care separate from friendship as what under normal circumstances is a wonderful friendship is bound to suffer
If someone is doing you a favor and either looking after either your dog or child you can't be too judgmental over their methods, but you can if it's a business arrangements
I have had many many offer of people willing to look after Darwin, but under no circumstances will I except their offers.  Even if it's limits our family activities I will pay someone to look after Darwin as therefore I have more control. 

Offline The Woolys

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 10:29:01 AM »
I wouldn't let them stay again either, I would never send the boys anywhere they weren't happy and I wouldn't expect anyone to shout at them.  Dogs know who they like, go with how they react

Offline caza61

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 08:45:02 PM »
i wouldnt like anyone shouting at my dog !!! , it's like if anyone comes to my house they have to expect to be jumped all over by ozzy  :005: and it doesnt matter what you do you just cant stop him !! so i tell people if you dont like being jumped over then dont come to my house  :lol: