Author Topic: Work Experiance  (Read 2246 times)

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
Work Experiance
« on: April 14, 2005, 08:26:51 PM »
hi

some of you already may no tht in goin to do my work experiance soon at a well none kennels  :D and its only 33 days to go im sOoOoO scared but also if everythink goes ok i may be getting a job there in the holidays tht means more toys 4 sophie  :D an some new grooming equpiment for me  :D has anybody on col worked at a kennels or do now an is anybody else doin work exper this year
wish me good luck plzz
any tips plz but there is also a cattery there but dnt like it when they make tht funny sound at u lol

sarah xx

Offline ReadingSteve

• Site Member
    • Buddy
Work Experiance
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 08:30:32 PM »
Hope it all goes really well for you. I'm sure they'll ease you into the work and not expect too much of you... for a day or two anyway  ;)

Live Long and Prosper!

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Work Experiance
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 10:25:04 PM »
Don't be scared Sarah. It might seem a bit nerve wracking at first but I bet you settle in with no worries at all. :D I worked in a kennels for a while years ago and I was terrified the day I first went there but after an hour I felt as though I'd been there all my life :D You'll love it!
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Sue H

Work Experiance
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 07:48:55 PM »
During my time at the Blue Cross, we had lots of WX students, but unless they were 18, they couldn't work in our kennels because of Health and Safety regulations.

There is a lot to learn, and it may sound stupid, but just finding out how to get a dog in or out of its kennel can be very difficult, especially if it is nervous and there are other dogs barking and growling as you pass between other kennels.  This is when you can get a 're-directed bite' simply because the dog you are handling feels as though it needs to reciprocate but you are the nearest target!!  Keep them away from the other dogs and at arms length if you can.  Picking up a small dog is another option, but you need to keep it away from your face etc.  Otherwise, we needed to put in our easy dogs and our difficult dogs and take the others in so that the two sorts didn't mix !  It needs quite a bit of forethought and planning when kennels are being alotted to different dogs.

Getting them out of their kennel can be difficult, but we were all encouraged to make them Sit and Wait (with a treat if they did as they were asked).  This makes it loads easier to actually enter a kennel and put a lead/harness/muzzle/gentle-leader or whatever on them without them pinging everywhere...

Our kennels are cleaned out totally every day - the bedding is hung over the door (or put to wash) and all toys/treats etc are picked up out of the way.  Hot water and detergent are bucketed in and scrubbed around with a long-handled brush.  We then hose down all the kennel and squeegee out, wiping the bed round with a towel.  Food and water bowls are cleaned and replenished as appropriate.  When a dog leaves or moves to a different kennel, the previous kennel is cleaned with steriliser and/or disinfectant (but some products need to air-dry and be left for 24 hours, especially with cats who cannot tolerate phenolic disinfectant).

Be prepared for quite hard physical work, not only with the day to day cleaning (not only the kennels, but the outside runs as well) but also with the walking and exercising and playing that dogs need when they are kennelled.

You may also have to medicate certain dogs, and you should be sure that they actually swallow oral medications (don't just crumble a tablet onto their food and hope they eat it).  Eye drops or ear drops may have to be administered, and if you are not sure, or need help to hold the animal whilst this is being done, always ask, since no-one minds doing this, and we all need aassistance at one time or another !

I hope you have an enjoyable time during your Work Experience, and that it leads you eventually into a career with animals, if that is what you enjoy doing best!

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Work Experiance
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 09:14:04 PM »
Good luck Sarah, I know nothing about what you will have to do, but I'm sure that you will enjoy working for Penny & learn LOADS  :)
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Work Experiance
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 10:01:14 PM »
Good Luck Sarah....I'm sure you will have a great  time with Penny and her lovely dogs :)
Look forward to hearing how you get on :)

Tracey :)
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
Work Experiance
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 09:11:35 AM »
hi thanks every body for all you good lucks and thanks for all your advice sue  :)
im really looking foward to meeting her gang an jasper.
i am used to cleaning up every day out side after our dogs have been out an then taking them out for walks.
maybe if its ok with her she might be able to show me how to do sophies feet im still not happy with them.
 thanks everybody
sarah xx

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Work Experiance
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 09:40:11 AM »
Best of luck with the work ex Sarah ;) .
I'm sure you will be fine.
I love my work ex - don't bother about the cats; they are easy to look after :) .
I find the dogs hard work :rolleyes: ...but I don't think you will have 50 odd dogs to clean out tho :lol: .
As Kim + Tracey have said, I'm sure you will learn lots. I know I have, I'm really proud of my achievements :D  - I can now properly trim a poodle  :huh: - which I never thought I would say in a million years :lol: ! n Geoff and Michael are around quite a bit and I'm always getting handling tips :D  - which I pass on to Becki - who is very grateful!
Jasper is one of my fav cockers ;) ...after all e is Harvey’s daddy!
gud luck...look forward to hearing how you get on :) .

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
Work Experiance
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 07:19:55 PM »
ello everybody
only 5 day to go till im off to pennys im sooo scared lol dnt no y im sure i be ok after the first day or two  :unsure:
is it true tht if i get bittin by a dog i have to go to hospital an have an injection thts wht i was told.
cant wait to see if theres any cockers or golden ret in there  :wub:
 sarah xx

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Work Experiance
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 07:46:55 PM »
:) How exciting Sarah - I'm sure you are going to enjoy it  ;)

Have you had a tetanus jab? - might be worth having x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Work Experiance
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 08:04:20 PM »
:) How exciting Sarah - I'm sure you are going to enjoy it  ;)

Have you had a tetanus jab? - might be worth having x
[snapback]126102[/snapback]

Yeah I was gonna say that - its the one jab that we need 2 have when working with animals on the academy ;) .
I think the person who said that 2 u, that you might have to go to hospital if you get bitten was meaning for the likes of rabies :blink: ...but I'm sure Penny's will be
the same as Carol's n that all dogs/cats have to be fully vaccinated so I'm sure u'll be fine :) .
I'm not too keen on getting too close to some cats now, as a cat bit Mike last week and it has causes a poisoning in the blood stream of something  :unsure: - looks pretty nasty :o . E is so dopey thought - it could only happen to him :lol: !
Don't worry...I'm sure you will enjoy it :D !

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Work Experiance
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 09:13:58 PM »
Good luck Sarah, I'm sure you will have a great time.  I worked in a greyhound kennels for a while part time  while I was doing my A-levels and I really enjoyed it.  Wish I could do it now as an everyday job :D !!!
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Work Experiance
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 10:27:14 PM »
I just recently did a week work experience at a dog sanctuary, I could have quite easily taken home a certain beautiful big girl but there isn't a pocket in the world big enough for her, shame  :D .
Cayley.

Offline Emma&Harry

• Site Member
  • Avatar disabled by Pammy until it is resized ;)
Work Experiance
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 06:34:54 PM »
good luck, im sure you'll enjoy every minute of it. i worked at a boardings kennels for two weeks as work experience and loved it so much i worked sundays and during school holidays - even in the cold and wet!!

i think it really makes you appreciate the different breeds, temperaments and how to approach different dogs with their individual needs, and how to deal with different situations - particularly owners when they have to drop their beloved dogs off.

The only thing that got me was saying goodbye when owners came to pick them up - i cared for them for a couple of weeks and i was forgotten as soon as the owners turned up!! oh well!!

I hope it goes really well for you.
xx my working cocker works very hard at being a lap dog xx

Sue H

Work Experiance
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 07:02:19 PM »
It is well worth getting your tetanus updated if it needs to be - that is one of the jabs that any A & E would want to give if you received a bite, or even a bad scratch from wire or something.  It wouldn't cost you anything - just explain to your GP what your WX entails and ask them to check that you have cover ....

I would say from reading your posts that you may need to revise your grasp of the English language - a lot of 'text' type things are simply not acceptable when you have to make written records on animal health and medication.

You haven't said what sort of Kennels you are going to be working at - what do you eventually want to do, and are you planning any further courses?  I only ask because quite often the larger organisations  only take in WX from Colleges who have proven records in animal handling, otherwise they end up with wannabees who faint at the first sight of a syringe!!  Either that, or they have no clue as to how to put on a harness or something equally worrying !!

Good luck with your time in WX - the main thing is to listen, and remember (and please don't stand around and yawn because that used to really get our goat!!) and ask what you can do next or ask if you can watch different things so you can learn - everyone likes a helpful, willing WX, and quite a few of ours have gone on to do weekend work and then full-time !!