Author Topic: Puppy Poo’s - a worried first time dog owner  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Paigemay

Puppy Poo’s - a worried first time dog owner
« on: July 28, 2020, 08:06:16 AM »
Hello, (please excuse the topic - it’s not the best subject to start with) on Thursday evening we brought home our beautiful 8 week old Black cocker spaniel Marley. He’s settled really well at night - we have him in his bed in a pen in our room and we don’t hear anything from him he sits at the end of the pen then eventually will take himself off to bed. Friday he experienced really bad Diarrhea - he must have gone about 20-25 times that day! We rang the vets and after discussion we realised it would have been his food (the breeder did not give us any of what he was having to take home) I felt like such a bad fur mum! So under vets instruction he went onto boiled chicken and rice for the day then I went out and bought the food he had been on at the breeders so gradually mix into this. We have also wormed him to rule that out.

We are now Tuesday - he is going about 5-6 times a day but they are still not solid - they are not as watery as what they were before but are still wet (gross I know). He’s a crazy loving puppy - he’s eating fine drinking well. At what stage should I be worried more is going on? When did your pups fully settle into their new homes?

Thanks - from a very worried first time puppy mum!

Offline Grasmere9

Re: Puppy Poo’s - a worried first time dog owner
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 10:16:55 AM »
Morning! New Mum here too! Our Show Type Cocker is coming up for 15 weeks. When you change onto a new food it is going to unsettle their tummy and it will take a while. I would imagine that so long as your puppy is drinking plenty and happy then I would try not to worry. Your vets surgery is great for phoning and getting advice especially as they have now met puppy. Watch out for your Cocker eating plants etc-ours loved my low growing plants at first!!

Offline Paigemay

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 10:38:33 AM »
It’s all so new and scary for us so I can’t imagine how scary it has been for him! We’ve put him back onto the food he was on with the breeder it’s a good brand and great for the digestive system our vet recommended that also. I was just worried at how long it will take for his poo’s to become more solid, it can’t be nice for him.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 04:29:02 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum.  No need to apologise for talking poo  ;) :lol2: it's a common theme!  Lots of changes happen to a puppy so quickly in the first few months of their life.  A change of food directly from one onto another has obviously not worked for him.  You have done all the right things, talked to the vet, onto chicken and rice and back to the beginning with his food.  If he is drinking plenty and staying hydrated I wouldn't panic too much.  Cooked sweet potato is soothing on the gut, just microwave it until cooked and scoop out the soft inside and add a bit to his dinner.  Pumpkin also works and you can buy it ready pureed in tins.  Another thing as a standby is plain frozen white fish,, just the cheap basic one from the supermarket.  I poach it in a fair bit of water and give them the water as well, it makes sure they are getting enough fluids.  Things at the rear end will probably be 'loose' for another day or two yet.  There are no hard and fast rules.  Keep us posted and try not to worry too much, easier said than done, I know.

Offline Paigemay

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »
Ah thank you - I didn’t know about the sweet potato and pumpkin I will try that. We had our first night with no toilet business - he went out this morning his first two morning poos we’re good and what I would expect from a puppy. Since them we seem to be back to the runny ones. It’s one step forward but two steps back. I spoke with the vets again yesterday and she said to keep an eye on him for a few days or so but I just can’t be nice for his tummy!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 06:51:50 PM »
It's natural to worry, but your vet seems accessible and sensible, so hang in there.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 08:50:38 PM »
Just out of interest which food is he on? I remember that Archie had the same issues when being fed James Wellbeloved as a pup. Several others reported the same at the time. A change of food fixed the problem straight away.

Offline Paigemay

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 10:10:20 PM »
We’ve got him on Beta puppy - it was the food he was on when he was with his breeder he absolutely loves it! The vet said it would be a good food as it’s supposedly good for his digestive system but any suggestions welcome. What did your pups love?