Author Topic: paper/pads in crate at night?  (Read 572 times)

Offline Tess72

paper/pads in crate at night?
« on: April 21, 2008, 09:10:56 PM »
hi we ve had florence for amonth she s 15 wks old and our breeder said to make her crate half bed and half paper, she does 1 poo and 1 or 2 wee s a night and sometimes in day when we r out,she does a wee every night in garden b4 bed and sometimes a poo but still doesnt go all night without goin in her crate,am i expectin 2 much at 15 wks and just persevere or shud i not put paper in crate, am worried if there s no paper she ll poo and wee in her bed,very confused but want 2 do right thing for florence but dont want 2 push her 2 soon, please let me no what u think,Tess xx
Tess n Florence xx

Offline harleys mum

• Site Member
  • Harley & Rio....butter wouldn't melt!
Re: paper/pads in crate at night?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 09:19:45 PM »
Harley was 6 months old before he was reliable at night - don't worry, she's still a baby
Lu

Offline Supa cocker doppers

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 09:24:12 PM »
Hi

We are no experts but having just got a new pup ourselves we were asked to consider a crate.

We could see the benefit of them but chose to go for an open bed and paper with pads underneath at the back door away from her sleeping area and in the direction where we wish her to go.

It seems to depend what the pup was used to.

Our pup is only 10 weeks but she has a few wees on the paper or very close and 1 poo during the night. If we are in during the day we let her out every few hours and use a command word which she is responding to very well.

Our breeder said they would open the crate at night and put paper outside to let the pup know where it is correct to go to the toilet. Some people even suggest getting up in the night if you hear your pup to let them out. A few nights of pain for alot of gain.

Basically no right answers but I recall our first pup still had accidents in the home upto 4 months so keep at it and it can take longer if you are away at work for a long time.

Best of luck - you will get there.

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 01:30:42 PM »
We were really really lucky with Paisley as she went to bed at 1 when we got her (OH stays up late) and I was up at 6 to let her out and she was clean at night from the start!  However, when we had Wilson we would get up 3 times to let him out in the night, set up a baby monitor so we knew when he got up!  This gradually reduced to 2 times a night and then once etc etc!  I can't remember how long it took before he went right through but we've never had accidents in crates!  (Both ours were crate trained)

I dont really agree with paper training as it teaches them to go inside, which should really be a no pee area!  They'll never learn to hold it if they dont have to!
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!