Author Topic: Harness advice  (Read 2423 times)

Offline sophie.ivy

Harness advice
« on: March 30, 2023, 10:05:24 AM »
I think Ivy's perfect fit harness is rubbing the fur off her chest. She's getting a bald spot there and it's growing bigger - no redness or rash and I've not seen her scratching there, it's just hair loss.

Has anyone else experienced this?

She doesn't wear her harness for every walk, just for long line walks or if we go running together. I've been trying to reduce the times she wears it, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference. We've also been using an Equafleece with a flat collar for when it rains (so most of the time then!) so I don't know if that could be the culprit?

I'm thinking about buying a different harness as we do need one (but I don't want a cani-cross harness as we've put a lot of work into us running together on a loose lead and don't want to bring back the pulling!) - any recommendations?

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Harness advice
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 07:12:49 PM »
Never had that issue with the harness on any of mine.  I hope you find a good alternative.

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 01:32:22 PM »
Hi, no issues with that harness for Salty and he PULLS!

Definitely the perfect fit was the best of all I have tried by far
I did have to 'modify' the harness a bit as the small underside part still gave too long a length between the T and the V under his neck so the latter rose p too much and hit his neck - I simply tied a bit of rope to bypass the non-adjustable webbing there and tightened it a bit
The above doesn't seem to be the case for you, but can you go to a shop and make sure its actually the 'best fit'?

Perhaps its a bit loose under the tum?

I now run the (extendable) lead forwards through the back ring (like a fairlead on a boat), over his left shoulder and then clip it onto the chest ring
I walk with him on my right side. I know this is opposite side to what  I was expecting to work, but it is better with him.
In fact I am amazed at the difference between this and having separate lead ends to chest and back rings
Worth a try?

All above just thoughts.
YMMV, I dont know what I am doing, etc

Offline russ-g

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 01:26:39 PM »
Stanley wears a Julius-K9 for every walk. No issues after several months of use. Very robust harness I highly recommend.