Author Topic: Urinary s/o alternative  (Read 356 times)

Offline Gavw1

Urinary s/o alternative
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:37:39 AM »
Benson has been put on urinary s/o diet for life and was just wondering if anyone knew of an alternative over the counter food as this is a prescribed food from vets and as you can imagine it's not the cheapest!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Urinary s/o alternative
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 10:07:06 AM »
Have a look at Burns, they do some alternatives to vet's foods (not sure if they do one for this though)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline linda c

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:33:55 PM »
What is the reason that your vet has prescribed the Urinary s/o for Benson?

Blue has been on Urinary Lp18 food for many years now for his Struvite bladder stones, the food helps to dissolve the Struvite gravel that can build up and it also makes him him drink more so he pees a lot and flushes everything through.
I can buy mine cheaper off the internet so my Vet price matches for me and I get it from him.
I'm now paying £62 for 14kg which lasts Blue about 12 weeks his price is usually £82 so it's a big difference.  :D

May be worth looking at the price on the internet to compare prices, you don't need a prescription to buy it.

Offline Gavw1

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 12:26:24 PM »
Hi Linda, at present I pay £55 for 7.5kg as prescribed by my vet for the same reason as yourself (struvite stones) however just done as you suggested and found same food off internet for £40 with free delivery.
Thanks for your help much appreciated

Offline linda c

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 02:15:41 PM »
Glad you've managed to buy it cheaper, a lot of people don't realise they can get it on the internet without needing a prescription. I couldn't believe the difference in price when I checked. :D