Author Topic: 20 years Experience of caring for and loving all things Spaniel!  (Read 4012 times)

Offline dorrit

• Site Member
  • Little Ollie and Little Nell
I have been the proud owner of spaniels for the last twenty years. Currently  I am left with my last darling baby, a sweet timid, but brazen golden large fluffy type monster called Ethel. She is currently in remission from cancer, but enjoyiong her life nonetheless. She misses her brother and mother desperately. Her Mother Dorrit passed away in December 05 also from cancer. Sadly we were not as fortunate as we have been with Ethel, as the cancer spread rapidly with Dorrit and we lost the battle. The same fate befell her brother, who was a placid docile soppy fella who adored his mum and sister to the hilt  My very special Dorrit, a darling dark Red Cocker, with a personality to match, will never be forgotten. She still brings a smile to my face.

These wonderful angels have filled my life with so much joy that I feel truely blessed.
I would like to offer a homeless spaniel or a spaniel that as had it rough and suffered. My home is one where a spaniel could live the rest of it's life happy and content.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who know's of or has a spaniel in dire need.

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Re: 20 years Experience of caring for and loving all things Spaniel!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 03:34:32 PM »
Hi Dorrit,
This part of Cockers on line is a good place to start. Many Tears Rescue in Wales often have ex breeding bitches - I have one.
Dog pages or Cocker Rescue (numbers at the top of the section).
I have 3 rescues and I recommend the experience! ::)
Good luck!
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 06:40:12 PM »
Hi Dorrit, well done for thinking of offering a poor homeless cocker a loving home.  I have two rescue cockers, both of whom I met through DogPages. Nelly came from Many Tears.  Here's a link to DP for you:  http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?act=idx

Many Tears is a good place to start, but there are often Cockers on DogPages in other rescues too.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on. 

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 07:04:05 PM »
Dorrit, can you confirm you are in the UK as I noticed you are using an American ISP when you log on to COL. If you are in the US, it will make a difference as to the replies you get (this being a mainly UK site)
Jane

Offline dorrit

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 10:26:46 AM »
I'm based in London, so not sure why it shows an American ISP?

Offline dorrit

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 10:41:59 AM »
Thank you all, for your excellent suggestions and ideas on rescuing unfortunate cockers.

Could anyone out there let me know any difficulties they have had when rescuing ex-breeding cockers. I would like to be armed with as much info as possible before I adopt.

I'm not bothered by the costs incurred by adoopting, or the timidity or lack of social skills, but more in terms of the how difficult it is for the new arrival to adjust and can older dogs be house trained and if so is it as easy as it is with a puppy?

Grateful for any veiws and advice.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 11:33:55 AM »
I'm based in London, so not sure why it shows an American ISP?

That is strange - your ISP comes up as a company based in Arizona which is unusual for someone in the UK. I had to query it as we do get members in the US posting sometimes :blink:
Jane

Offline dorrit

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 01:38:30 PM »
Very Bizarre. I'm based in Central London, so am baffled as to why it should come as a USA ISP

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 01:44:32 PM »

You could try the Mayhew in NW London - I'm not sure if they have any Spaniels currently seeking homes but it's worth contacting them...

http://www.mayhewanimalhome.org/home.html

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 01:49:35 PM »

You could try the Mayhew in NW London - I'm not sure if they have any Spaniels currently seeking homes but it's worth contacting them...

http://www.mayhewanimalhome.org/home.html

There's a rather nutty/hyperactive blue roan cocker heading that way on saturday (from my house in Cardiff ::)) (he's going to one of their foster homes then up for rehoming after he's been assessed by them no doubt). He is a bit full on and will need lot a work on him, but he's a youngster (about 18months old; rescue picked him up from stray pound and brought him over to me on wednesday). He may be part/full worker I don't know, but he will be a handful (hasn't a nasty bone in his body though)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 07:57:19 PM »
Thank you all, for your excellent suggestions and ideas on rescuing unfortunate cockers.

Could anyone out there let me know any difficulties they have had when rescuing ex-breeding cockers. I would like to be armed with as much info as possible before I adopt.

I'm not bothered by the costs incurred by adoopting, or the timidity or lack of social skills, but more in terms of the how difficult it is for the new arrival to adjust and can older dogs be house trained and if so is it as easy as it is with a puppy?

Grateful for any veiws and advice.

One of mine is an ex-breeding bitch from Many Tears.  I've had her for 11 months now and I'm sorry to say that she still messes in the house.  If I was at home all the time I'm sure I could get her out of the habit, but as I have to go out to work, it's a problem that we just have to live with.  She will often do a poo on the living room carpet if I just go upstairs for a minute.  And if I dare to move the furniture, then that will guarantee poos on the carpet  >:D

My other cocker came from a farm somewhere in Wales.  As far as I know he was not a stud dog, but coming from a farm, I think meant that the doors were always open and he never had to "ask" to go out.  As a result, he often wees in the house.  Neither of them ever actually "ask" to go out, I just have to do the normal letting them out first thing in the morning, after meals & after sleeps, with me standing there saying "do wee wees" or "do poo poos" just like you would with a puppy.  Every so often we seem to make some headway, then something happens to put them back at square one.  A lot depends on how houseproud you are, how much you are at home and how much patience you have.   

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 08:23:05 PM »
A friend has an X brood bitch also from Many Tears and has never had any accidents from day one - been there 18mths now

It varies dog to dog as to how hard or easy it is to settle them in - some have been in homes before others know nothing of home life  :-\

Penny - extra blanket will be provided for nutty cocker  ;)

Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 11:47:10 AM »
We adopted Smudge from Many Tears in March. She had been in a foster home for a couple of weeks, and they had started on her housetraining. She did have a couple of 'wee' accidents in the first few weeks, but these were mainly our fault because the back door was shut - she had been so good it was easy to forget she hadn't been housetrained for long. Smudge has learnt a lot from Boysie, and more recently has only gone indoors when she had a tummy upset.
Good luck with your search

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 12:14:46 PM »
I got Meg at the age of 2 after she's had pups and she was easy to toilet train.  I had a couple of incidents when she was in season (before she was speyed) but on the whole she's been mess and wee free.  She knows that she's not supposed to go indoors which was very harrowing for her recently when she wasn't well and couldn't hold it!

Good luck it's very rewarding taking on adults that need love!  :D
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline dorrit

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 10:31:26 AM »
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I feel confident that a rescue girl/s is the way forward.