Author Topic: Zippy - Working Cocker 1yo - Blue Cross Southampton  (Read 3800 times)

Offline mooching

Zippy - Working Cocker 1yo - Blue Cross Southampton
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:36:06 AM »
(this dog was first listed as Duncan, but now as Zippy)

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site/Adoptions/1112641DuncanSouthampton.asp?species=Dog&sex=&breed=Cocker%20Spaniel&colour=&location=&pg=1

Duncan is a very handsome WORKING COCKER, this is different to a normal Cocker Spaniel. Working Cockers are extremely active and needs lots of exercise and training.

Duncan is a sociable, friendly chap with people he meets. He is also very friendly with other dogs although he can be a bit O.T.T so we feel he would be best suited as the only pet in his new home.

Duncan likes playing with toys and we are working on his retrieve which is slowly improving. He has some basic training; he does need further work on his re-call and would benefit from going to training classes and possibly on to do agility as an outlet for his energy!

Duncan needs very active owners who can physically tire him out on a daily basis and have lots of time to work on his training needs.

*Best suited to live with children around 12 yrs
*Best suited as the only pet
*Ideally would not be left longer than 2 * 3 hours
*Ideally needs 5 foot fencing

I spoke to The Blue Cross today and the guy I spoke to described Duncan as "manic".  I can definitely understand why many working cocker owners on this forum feel that it can often be inadvisable for workers to go to pet homes.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Duncan - Working Cocker 1yo - Blue Cross Southampton
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 05:05:02 PM »

He looks like a real character!  :luv:

But our home is not the right one for him... hope he finds that right home quickly, though!
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 05:22:48 PM »
Sounds and looks a bit like Millie  :005:. Hope he finds that special home soon  :luv:.

Millie

Offline Henshallboys

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 06:20:03 PM »

He sounds like a normal worker to me  :005: :005:
Carole & Alan....Bramble, Beri & Holly

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 06:24:50 PM »
What a handsome chap  :luv: :luv:
He reminds me of my Marley ( she is quite butch :005:)
Hope he finds a forever home where he will be understood and his potential brought out.  :luv: :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline mentalcat

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 07:03:33 PM »
Blimey, its my Fred!  For those of you who remember him, he is 'little black dog' that i fostered for Many Tears.

For anyone who is interested in Duncan, if he is anything like Fred Frog, he will be completely barking mad, a real lovable rogue!
He probably needs a job to do, agility, tracking or flyball or some gundog work and he'll be fine.
Fred is a right royal pain in the a**e sometimes but i couldn't be without him!

Ali

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 05:28:46 PM »
He looks lovely and sounds like a fairly normal undertrained and understimulated working Cocker to me, I hope he finds a good home that'll give him a job to do :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Zippy - Working Cocker 1yo - Blue Cross Southampton
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 03:45:41 PM »
I love that glint in his eye ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Louize

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 11:12:57 PM »
I spent a week with this lovely boy, he will be hard work but worth it, on last introduction he snapped at kennel handler they said he was a bit possessive over his things. i have a working cocker spaniel who got on brilliantly with " Duncan "  sharing toys balls and even biscutes. But due to this one episode WHICH COULD EASLIY BE STOPPED i am not aloud to give this cocker the home he deserver's as they want him to be an only dog. He is fantastic with other dogs just a little excitable at first but soon calms down. As with all working cocker's he will need plenty of exercise I'm always out in forest with mine come rain or shine, I Hope the now Zippy finds a loving home soon, Just wish it could of been me!!! If you want an active fun loving dog he's the one, Give him a chance,
Cant bare the thought of him still in a kennel....

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 08:15:06 AM »
sounds like he would have had a fab life with you :'(

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline RUBYTUBE

• never forgetting Lucy & Lara.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 01:25:51 PM »
Shame Louize, he probably would have fitted in with your dog. Our first rescue who is two now snapped at our existing 12 year old gentle springer the first day & several times after. She was checked for it & and shown the soft muzzle which worked. Our newest boy has a lovely nature but was used to being an only boy with his own toys & quite happily played alone & didn't like sharing so toys have been put away in the house & minimal indestructible toys in the garden which he leaves lying ok. When he is secure about sharing & doesn't destroy them the toys can come back out. In the meantime there is more cuddling & playing around, longer walks & he has started classes. We have sadly lost our older girl so the 2 & 3 year old are very dependent on each other now. :luv:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 04:41:50 PM »
Zippy is still shown on the Blue Cross website as looking for a home :'(

Offline Louize

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 01:28:23 PM »
 GREAT NEWS
Phoned blue cross yesterday and they said Zippy has been reservered hopefully all being well Zippy has found a new home and will be very happy, new owner has approx 35 acers of land of land for him to run around on sounds fantastic.
Hoping after weekend Zippy will of found a forever loving home, best wishes to him.