Author Topic: Puppy & a house rabbit????  (Read 1074 times)

Offline allanmac83

Puppy & a house rabbit????
« on: June 07, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »
Hi all, hope your all well.

Looking for some information, we have a house rabbit but are keen to have a cocker spaniel in the house for the family, two older kids, myself and wife, I’ve placed ourselves on the waiting list for a show cocker, question is has anyone had experience in bringing a puppy into a house with a rabbit indoors? Any information would be much appreciated and anyone that’s been in the same situation it would be great to hear from you. I’ve seen a it can be successful and with no problems so thought the forum for cockers would give me more information.

Thanks

Offline Barry H

Re: Puppy & a house rabbit????
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 09:30:28 AM »
Difficult one.  Could be you're on your own here, matey.  I'm assuming a 'house rabbit' is one you keep indoors rather than in a hutch outside?

Wouldn't like to say whether it would work or not.  Probably the only way to find out for certain is when the time comes.  Amazingly, my cocker has zero interest in cats.  Even though I don't have one they're forever prowling around the garden using it as a toilet.  Jack just ignores them much to my annoyance!

If a puppy grows up with a rabbit could be that after the initial excitement wears off the interest will wain and all will be sweetness and light.  On the other hand I have a feeling that the rabbit may well come off the worst.  A puppy may scare the living daylights out of said rabbit and you could end up with a very neurotic bunny.

Sorry, not much help I know.  Google is probably your friend here - but I'm sure you'll find there will be successes and failures as much will depend on the circumstances.

Offline allanmac83

Re: Puppy & a house rabbit????
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 12:44:26 PM »
Thanks for reply.

You are correct, we won’t know till it happens, I’ve read more successful stories than bad ones. Lots of different sites explaining how to train them from when a puppy, slow process of pen round rabbit cage and let puppy go to cage and sniff but if any barking or lunging at cage pulled back on the leash and told to be gentle and then if things improve it goes onto a different stage and so on. Could never be left alone, All we are looking for is the puppy knows eventually that the rabbit is part of the family and to accept it. if all does not go to plan we will sort something out so both can be happy.