Author Topic: Help with walking and toilet training  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Alehall

Help with walking and toilet training
« on: June 17, 2020, 11:20:52 AM »
We have a 12 week old boy puppy, he’s allowed out to walk now the first few walks he loved, he makes this crying noise whilst walking but tail is going so isn’t distressed or upset. Now after about 5 walks he won’t walk. We leave the house and he’s pulling to go back home, still doing the same cry, when he knows we’re walking back home he walks lovely! Help!
He also won’t wee outside on the walks or in the garden. He has done a poo before on a walk so we praised him loads, he even held his wee when we were out on a walk (then at mums) once for a good few hours! The minute he’s home he weed back on the pad

Offline IonaD

Re: Help with walking and toilet training
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 01:54:23 PM »
Hmmmm...

I can’t help with either issue really but I can sympathise with the pee problem. No matter how much I tried at the start Bella didn’t get the fact that she could pee outside. We would go for our short walks, no pee then she would trot inside and pee on the mat (although she was also partial to peeing just on the side of the mat so it was half on and half off, then it would all run underneath  >:D )

I tried to take the pee mat outside and we would play out the front of our apartment with the pee mat there for her to see. But she would still come inside and go.

Eventually one day something clicked!! She did a pee outside!! I stood there shouting in my excited voice ‘pee peeeeees’ and congratulating her with treats and praise looking like an absolute loon.

From then on, I just tried to understand her toilet pattern and made sure that we were outside when I thought she would need to go. We also moved the mat nearer the door...and when she went to go towards it would scoop her up and dash downstairs. We live in an apartment so it wasn’t as easy for us to just open the door and let her out into the garden but we got into a habit and we’ve got it sussed!

I also think they understand if we are feeling tense or frustrated at the lack of peeing. This may sound silly but try to relax when you are out. If you’re relaxed chances are he will be too and it may just happen.

Bella is three and still runs away when I get her harness off the hook, although once she’s out and about she’s fine. Dogs certainly have some strange quirks!!

Sorry this isn’t of much practical help but thought I would share my experiences.

Hope things turn the corner!!

Iona

Offline Alehall

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 08:42:00 PM »
That is helpful thank you, funnily enough after I wrote this, this afternoon he weed outside I was very happy as you can tell so I will take on your advice because I do think I am anxious when walking so will try and be calmer! We live in first floor of a house too so it’s the same struggles!

Thank you!  :D

Offline Barry H

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 08:59:27 AM »
Suspect it's all a bit too new and overwhelming for the young chap and he's getting anxious.  You may (repeat may) be expecting too much too soon.  It's early days.  Got to take it slowly.  Go at his pace not yours with lots of encouragement (which I'm sure you do).  If he wants to go home after two minutes then that's what you do - with lots of praise.  Repeat as necessary and be super patient with him.  It's important at this early stage not to freak him out so you've got to cultivate complete indifference as to whether he performs or not.  Be assured he will improve.  Sooner or later his cocker inquisitiveness will kick in and before you know it he'll be dragging you up the road on the end of a tight lead.

Offline Alehall

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 09:23:26 AM »
Thank you, perhaps we are expecting too much of him! He has so much energy doing the day it seems a walk is necessary to get rid of that energy!
Its the constant whining/crying he does when we take him out i think that makes me feel anxious because it sounds like we are horrible to him which is far from the truth! I am not sure what to do next... i don't know whether to just stick to the garden but then he starts eating everything out there so I worry he will get ill! Or it seems we go outside the door take two steps and come back... is it worth it?

Thank you for your advice it really is helpful.

Offline IonaD

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 09:56:07 AM »
Maybe something has spooked him on a previous walk??

Could you try taking him somewhere and sitting quietly on a bench in the park with him? Letting him see what’s going on, getting him used to noises like people, cars, other dogs etc.

Taking it back to basics and seeing if his confidence grows?

Offline Barry H

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 02:01:10 PM »
Or it seems we go outside the door take two steps and come back... is it worth it?
Yes, it's absolutely worth it.  How else is he going to get used to going outside?  He's whining and crying because he's uncertain, apprehensive and nervous.  All perfectly normal - he's just a baby.  So, as I said, you need to take baby steps and one day at a time.  Have plenty of tasty, high value treats handy.  And try not to stress too much.  Makes owning a puppy ten times harder work and he'll pick up on that which won't help.  Yes, puppies are hard work but one of the greatest joys in life.  It will get easier.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 05:48:54 PM »
I remember Humphrey being exactly the same! As Barry says, he is anxious and just needs a bit of gentle encouragement to help him learn that the big wide world out there can be fun, positive reinforcement like tasty treats and games will make sure its a pleasant experience for him.
The human world is noisy, smelly, and very big when you‘re only a few inches off the ground ;) and its natural that everything seems very frightening. - particularly smells, which we don’t even pick up, can spook them. We live in the country and I remember taking Humphey up to the fence of the field of cows and feeding him treats while he sat and got used to them, the same when tractors or lorries go past, but he can smell if the wild boar are around and still now, at 5, he‘s gets skittish.
Just let him go at his own pace, encourage him but don‘t force anything then once he finds his feet you can start  bit by bit to  introduce him to as many situations as you can. Take each day at a time, be patient, you‘ll get there!  ;)
 :luv: