Author Topic: Won't go out for walks  (Read 797 times)

Offline oldmatebri

• Site Member
Won't go out for walks
« on: November 05, 2007, 08:52:12 PM »
Hi

Our little Rosie is 12 weeks old. We've had her for two weeks now. Toilet training is slow but going the right way.
But Rosie won't go out for walk on the lead. It's nothing to do with the pesky fireworks.
She isn't happy to have the lead on and won't budge.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Bri

Offline mentalcat

• Site Member
Re: Won't go out for walks
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 10:33:58 PM »
Hiya,

Has she had all her vacs yet?  If she has it may be a good idea to pick her up and walk her up the road, so that she can walk HOME.  I've done this a lot with nervous dogs that don't want to go outside and it always seems to work - even if you just go to the end of your garden path.

Good luck

Ali

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 10:36:59 PM »
  :lol:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline mikenlisa

• Site Member
  • Poppy & Bertie having a moment...
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 10:30:14 AM »
Poppy hated her lead and did not want to go out. She was happy in the garden (my husband made a pen for Poppy to do her business in) I also walked her for a few minutes at a time around the garden and increasing the time on the lead every few days. It took about 2 weeks before she would go out of the front door  >:(

After her first 2 walks out of the front door, that was it. The word 'walkies' was and is still not allowed to be said, not unless you meant it  :005:

Good luck, it will work out soon.
Love
Lisa, Mike, Poppy & Bertie
xxxx

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 05:13:15 PM »
Twelve weeks is very tiny.   :luv:  It's a big, noisy, smelly, scarey world outside the front gate.   ph34r

Take it really slowly - put her lead on and carry Rosie in your arms just a little way, making lots of reassurring noises.   :luv:  This way she will get used to the lead and get used to going out securely with you.  I wouldn't take her out in the dark - our Daisy still doesn't like the dark and she's nearly 6 months.   ::)  Take her to a nice little walk, just for a short time and have fun, lots of play.  Don't worry too much about walking properly on a lead - there's buckets of time for that. 

There's no quick fix with this.  You will need patience by the bucketful, but be consistent and happy with her so she associates the lead and going out with you as a nice event.

It's early days yet.  Let her grow a bit!  :luv:

Kay
-x-

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 10:48:28 AM »

I would agree that trying short bursts of lead walking in a familiar area is a good way to start... Honey is only 11 weeks, and not allowed out yet, but loves walking round the front garden with her lead on - this way she has got used to traffic noise too!
When I first tried the lead she hated it - it was something to be chewed and shaken off, but "little and often" no means she will sit by the front door and ask to go out for a patrol of the front garden!!!

We have been carrying her up and down the road too, but she seems more scared by being up high than by any of the noises and sights she encounters!
 :005:

Can't wait to get her out for walks!!!
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020