Author Topic: Special food  (Read 821 times)

Offline dannywilson1

Special food
« on: December 22, 2014, 02:59:34 PM »
This is my first post so excuse me if I get it a bit wrong.
I have an 8 year old male cocker. For the past 6 years he has been on Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal food since he had Pancreatitis. The Vet advised us to feed him on that. In the past year he has had Anal Gland problems and a couple of weeks ago had an operation to remove them as there was a continuing infection in them.
For the past 8 or 10 weeks we have been giving him boiled fish mixed with rice and for the last two weeks he has been on boiled fish mixed with potato. Both of which he has wolfed down and kept a steady weight. 13-5 Kilos.
We are now looking for a food that will be good for him on it's own or can be mixed with something. We want to stop the boiled fish and spuds as we will be away for a couple of months next year and my daughter will be looking after him.
Any advice please? Thank you.

Offline zenon_bass

Re: Special food
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 04:53:21 PM »
Welcome to COL!
You will find lots of useful tips and advice on here, as I've done, being a relative newbie.  I'm sure the experienced hands will give you the best advice.

A couple of months ago I gave my Millie chicken and rice for a while to settle her tummy after a scavenging session.  >:D
I followed that with Chappie, which has done wonders for her poos, the best since I've had her, with no squidgy bits at the end.  :shades:  Sometimes even all in one place instead of a walkabout!  :lol: She too has kept a steady weight.
I know that our vet also recommends Chappie. 
In the past, and still for variety she occasionally eats Fish4Dogs Kibble or Eden kibble.
You might also like to look at the website www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk
It's also worth doing your research as to prices - Chappie tins are 14p each cheaper at P@H than my local shop.
Good Luck!

Offline zenon_bass

Re: Special food
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 01:19:06 PM »
OOOOOOPS!   :005:
I've had another look at allaboutdogfood.co.uk. with regard to Chappie.  Doesn't score well at all!  Only continued on it after the tummy upset because of the good poos!  :005:
I think I'll give Millie another go at the Eden again: two deliveries ago she found and picked a hole in the (hidden) bag to get at the kibble.  :rofl1: