Author Topic: Breeding And Money  (Read 6888 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Breeding And Money
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2005, 11:28:39 PM »
It may be because there is information on the internet that the number of questions have reduced?
[snapback]125604[/snapback]
No I don't think this is the case at all - when I have spent the time contacting those people who have emailed & asked only the one question, it is clear they have done very little research whatsoever & have not even heard of health screening or breed clubs. Breed Club referrals tend to come via phone calls where the price question is actually rarely asked or it's asked at the end after a lot of other questions ;)

Jane
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Breeding And Money
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2005, 12:16:11 AM »
I can understand why Clare started this thread  ;) I get annoyed when people I work with droaned on about the amount of money I would make from breeding Buttons  :( The one thing I would like to add here is the devotion involved and what an emotional time breeding can be.
I can only say I was distraught when Buttons didn't get in whelp last year. Ask Jane, she had to cope with me stupidly bubbling on the phone  :huh: (& Tracey ;) )
I think the reason was I had emotionally involved so much time and effort (as does every breeder) and so many months planning it and I've been planning a repeat ever since, Jane must be bored stupid with my endless questions  :blink:

Offline catwillow

• Site Member
    • http://www.lapislumina.co.uk/
Breeding And Money
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2005, 07:51:57 AM »
Jane must be bored stupid with my endless questions  :blink:
[snapback]125647[/snapback]

I doubt that Gilly, she has never seemed bored with mine just very patient and understanding no matter how much I ramble on, and believe you me I do ramble  :P  :)
Hugs n stuff

Sheri  XxX
Lilly, Murphy & Sally xxx

sweetie

Breeding And Money
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2005, 09:52:38 PM »
i too understand why clare started this thread too,people often think it,s a very profitable job,,as it were,but it,s not as was highlighted,if it stops just one greedy person from breeding then it,s worth it ten fold ;)
many peeps have said to me,,why don,t you breed them,,could earn you loads :angry:
when i point out how much it costs they respond with oh,,didn,t know that,

love ,,dedication and passion,,still comes at a price ;)

agree too ,,god bless you jane for always answering questions,,no matter how many times we ask :D  :D  ;) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Breeding And Money
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2005, 10:04:47 PM »
I can understand why Clare started this thread  ;) I get annoyed when people I work with droaned on about the amount of money I would make from breeding Buttons  :( The one thing I would like to add here is the devotion involved and what an emotional time breeding can be.
I can only say I was distraught when Buttons didn't get in whelp last year. Ask Jane, she had to cope with me stupidly bubbling on the phone  :huh: (& Tracey ;) )
I think the reason was I had emotionally involved so much time and effort (as does every breeder) and so many months planning it and I've been planning a repeat ever since, Jane must be bored stupid with my endless questions  :blink:
[snapback]125647[/snapback]

I can't imagine the kind of emotional rollercoaster breeders experience ; and I appreciate it every day - but ironically, this is exactly the reason that some people I've spoken to think there must be money to be made; it is diffiuclt for some people to understand that it is love of the breed that motivates you, not £££
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline suzanne

• Site Member
Breeding And Money
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2005, 07:05:36 AM »
the breeder we used was very inexperirnced i feel now, she bred the puppies in her home and  was really nice and looked after them really well she had them in a travel cot when we seen them she obviously loved them all and did the best she could for them but i don't think she was experienced enough to go into breeding .the mother was a working cocker and dad show cocker she never had any health screening and the puppies wern't innoculated when they went to new homes  she also didn't ask us anything about who we were or our cicrcumstances when we brought buster from her ,she has contacted us after and came to see how buster was doing twice and we hav gave her pics she asked for, but she is breeding her again in dec she said with same dad as before who is also her stud dog whick shetold me she gets £100 a time for using him, she also said about us using buster as a stud saying "you can make £100 a time on him" we would never do that!

Offline metpol fan

• Site Member
Breeding And Money
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2005, 03:39:24 PM »
when we have puppies i have to agree that the first thing that is asked is how much are they and then when you tell them they either say oh thats what there going for or if they have had a cocker in the past then they say they paid that last time, or you get the people that say i could get one from loot cheaper  :( one of my puppy buyers did ask all the right questions because she had bought from a breeder previously and had problems, she was concerned and maybe a little apprehensive but i sat down with her went through the health checks that had been carried out, all the paper work, microchipping, vaccinations etc etc and her mind was put at ease because i take breeding seriously and i am not just in it to make money as a lot of them think you are, you dont make anything from breeding at all and i only breed when i want a new baby to show, people dont realise what planning, time and effort goes in to it, they really should educate themselves better before buying a puppy.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Breeding And Money
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2005, 03:59:55 PM »
Jane, it'ds interesting you said that about chattels - this week there was a landmark case in america, of a woman who won damages for the loss of her cat, as the neighbours dog killed it. She was given a decent sum as it was acknowleged that as she had no family the cat was a huge part of her life, and more than just a possession.

I can only hope the uk think that way one day.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Breeding And Money
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2005, 09:06:14 PM »
Jane, it'ds interesting you said that about chattels - this week there was a landmark case in america, of a woman who won damages for the loss of her cat, as the neighbours dog killed it. She was given a decent sum as it was acknowleged that as she had no family the cat was a huge part of her life, and more than just a possession.

I can only hope the uk think that way one day.
[snapback]126276[/snapback]

I would love to see it happen; but the legal implications are ENORMOUS - if pets became more than legal "property" then the law would have to change to accomodate the issues that accompany this status: custody battles, care plan disputes, and eventually there would be attempts to bring manslaughter/murder charges against people who are responsible (accidently or deliberately) for the death of a pet  :blink:

I am not against the principle at all - but its a long way off..........not in my lifetime, unfortunately   <_<
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Breeding And Money
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2005, 12:41:04 AM »
I obviously have no experience with pedigree puppies, but I've fostered quite a few rescue puppies, and had many many calls of the type Jane describes. People have called and the only questions they have asked are how much the adoption fee is and what colour puppies we have. No questions about their background or possible parentage. So I can only imagine how often breeders must deal with calls from people who have not done their research.

I think the main problem with highlighting the costs like this is that it could be preaching to the converted. The sort of person who is thinking of taking up breeding for profit is likely to read a list like this, ticking off the things that they feel are unnecessary. I can remember a while back a relative and I called up lots of breeders we found in free ads, it was an almost morbid experiment but we wanted to find out if ANY of them were genuine breeder's. Some of them had never even heard of health testing, and had basically put their bitch with the local stud of the same breed and placed ad's for the puppies. It must be a lucrative little business if you have a few bitches having a litter a year, and you incur no real fees and sell the pups on for £400 each (which many backyard breeder's do, and some people would prefer to pay that bit less regardless of how the puppies were bred).
At least some backyard breeder's keep their dogs as pets though I suppose, and would possibly seek veterinary help if there was an emergency. Puppy farmers are rarely that "kind"  :(
I don't think it will ever stop until people stop being swayed by lower prices and delivery and a lack of screening of potential owners. I do think there are many people who just don't realise what they are doing when they buy from puppy farms...but then there will always be completely unsuitable homes who would never get a puppy from a breeder, so need puppy farm dogs.

Penel

Breeding And Money
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2005, 09:37:54 PM »
This week I have helped re-home a cocker pup - 10 weeks old - she was £600 from the breeder - I know not who - but when the lady who "couldn't cope" phoned the breeder and asked her to take her back she was told the pup would be pts if she returned her..... :o  I am utterly disgusted by people like this.  Thankfully I found her the most wonderful home with a fabulous lady I have known for years who lost her much loved cocker 10 weeks ago... so she's safe now - but grrrr - the money that breeder must have made, and the lack of responsibility - its appalling.

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Breeding And Money
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2005, 02:12:52 AM »
This week I have helped re-home a cocker pup - 10 weeks old - she was £600 from the breeder - I know not who - but when the lady who "couldn't cope" phoned the breeder and asked her to take her back she was told the pup would be pts if she returned her..... :o

:o That's shocking!

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Breeding And Money
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2005, 09:44:44 AM »
That's awful.

Our breeder insists on us handing Buddy back to her if he needs to be re-homed, and in fact has just re-homed a pup from a previous litter.

I guess that stipulation is normal with responsible breeders isn't it?

Penel

Breeding And Money
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2005, 09:51:12 AM »
I guess that stipulation is normal with responsible breeders isn't it?

It is with all the responsible breeders that I know yes.

Offline Emma&Harry

• Site Member
  • Avatar disabled by Pammy until it is resized ;)
Breeding And Money
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2005, 06:01:41 PM »
i cant believe that! that is disgusting - that has sent a shiver down my spine and bought a tear to my eye

but really pleased that you have found that little pup a home.

my breeder insisted that i bring harry straight back if i felt i couldnt cope, or had made the wrong decision - he would give my money back (that sounds awful to say) and that i should under no circumstance try and sell him on to someone else.

xx my working cocker works very hard at being a lap dog xx